ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 visas, children, and seperation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

_______
Newly Registered

Tier 2 visas, children, and seperation

Post by _______ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:35 am

I am a US national in the UK on a Tier 2 visa, and have a permanent university position. My wife, a Turkish national, and 6-year-old child, a US national, have dependent visas. My wife is qualified as a secondary school teacher, arts and design. We have been in the UK for 1.5 years, married for 10. We are trying to understand how potential separation affects my wife's visa. Of course the straightforward reading of the government website tells us that there are no obvious ways forward, as her profession is not on the current list of shortage jobs. On the other hand, the reality that joint custody and her visa being revoked are not compatible makes me think that there are roads we have not yet discovered. I am wary of approaching a lawyer, as many of the websites I have seen seem predatory. That said, I realize that I need legal advice, so thought it best to test the waters here before speaking with a lawyer.

noajthan

Re: Tier 2 visas, children, and seperation

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:41 am

Welcome.

Strange username.

After just 18 months or so noone has tenure here.
Its your obligation to inform UKVI of breakdown; visa is revoked and another to be obtained or else such an (ex) visa-holder leaves country.
Start here:
https://www.gov.uk/visas-when-you-separ ... ome-office
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

_______
Newly Registered

Post by _______ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 pm

Welcome.

Strange username.
Thanks. And sorry about the username....
That was perhaps true once, but no more. In fact 6-month or less probation periods are standard now. In any event, the position is permanent. Was there some relevance to your comment?
[/quote]
Its your obligation to inform UKVI of breakdown; visa is revoked and another to be obtained or else such an (ex) visa-holder leaves country.
Start here:
https://www.gov.uk/visas-when-you-separ ... ome-office
We haven't broken up yet, and even if that is how things go there is some hope for a reconciliation. I am just gathering information.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:15 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:06 pm

_______ wrote:
That was perhaps true once, but no more. In fact 6-month or less probation periods are standard now. In any event, the position is permanent. Was there some relevance to your comment?
I meant tenure in context of migration not in the world of academia.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.