ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to fill out FLR (M) with intention to get married!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Erok
Newly Registered

How to fill out FLR (M) with intention to get married!

Post by Erok » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 am

My Fiancee and I have lived together in the UK for over two years. I therefore have the right to apply for an FLR (M). In the application there is a section that asks under what circumstances I am applying, only two options apply to me: Unmarried partner, and Fiancee.

I have been in the UK on a Tier 4 student visa which expires soon so I want to apply for an FLR (M) because we intend on marrying. Should I apply for the FLR (M) as a Fiance of british national or as an unmarried partner?

I understand that if I apply as a fiance, I only have the right to stay in the UK for 6 months, but If I apply as an unmarried partner I might be able to stay for 2yrs 6 months. If I apply as an unmarried partner, can I then get married in the UK to my British National Fiancee or do I have to apply as a fiancee and then apply again as a spouse after the wedding?

Thank you in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How to fill out FLR (M) with intention to get married!

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:48 am

You apply as unmarried partner, providing 2 years evidence of cohabitation and 'relationship akin to marriage'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Erok
Newly Registered

Post by Erok » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm

CR001 wrote:You apply as unmarried partner, providing 2 years evidence of cohabitation and 'relationship akin to marriage'.
And I can then get married with this visa?

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes, although as a foreign national you can only register your intent to marry with a Home Office designated Registry Office.

If you marry you won't have to submit another FLR(M) application, you can remain on the FLR(M) Unmarried Partner visa you've been issued.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.