Older dependent relatives

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, Administrator, sbrennan

Re: Older dependent relatives

Postby Linus65p » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi
I wonder if any one can advice about my unfortunate situation
My mum is widow, age 64 and recently hada traumatic hypoxia of brain; which has a bad prognosis likely prolonged vegetative state she used to live on her own in India and following this injury secondary to status asthmaticus and couldn't get the primary care on time she has massive ischemic chnages of brain.

She needs a one to one management and absolute utmost care to avoid any further damage and her regular ADLs.

I am the only son with medical qualification and I am settled in Uk as a British citizen. I think I know her condition well and can provide the adequate amount of care.

Please need advice?
Kind regards

Linus65p
Linus65p
Newly Registered

Postby avjones » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Do you mean, you are the only son and you have a medical qualification? Or that you are the only one of her children who is a doctor?

Do you have siblings? Where do they live?
Amanda Jones

I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.
avjones
Diamond Member

Postby Casa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:13 pm

In addition to AVJones question, if your mother has suffered a major stroke and severe breathing difficulties, how will she be fit enough to travel or for the airline to accept her as a passenger?
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.
Casa

Postby Amber » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:41 am

She could travel using a medical airplane, in theory, they do offer ITU transport. I have heard of people with hypoxic brain injuries being transported. Though, it's expensive (£1,000s).

Furthermore,it'll take more than you to care for her, if she's ventilated or has a tracheostomy she'll require 24/7 care. Though, she'd probably be eligible for Continuing Healthcare under the NHS. But that's a different kettle of fish and you should be able to show how you and family here could care for her. You stand a good chance insofar as she can't afford nor has anyone to care for her where she is now. Do refer to the caseworker guidance for adult dependent applications under the immigration rules - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... FM-6.0.pdf
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.
Amber

Postby vishy786 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi

My parents are in india. I have 3 sisters, who are married. One sister is settled out or India and 2 other are in India with their families. My parents are alone in India and their health is always a concern. Is there a way i can get them a long term visa, or settlement or any type of VISA so they can easily travel over here and live with me.
I have British citizenship, if that helps.
vishy786
Newly Registered

Postby Casa » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:11 am

To avoid having to repeat all the difficulties faced in applying for elderly parents' settlement visas, have you taken the time to read through the 15 pages of advice in this thread?
With family in the home country and without the need for daily help with dressing, bathing, feeding etc (for both of your parents), you have zero chance of success.
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/out-with-the-old/

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/high-co ... hallenges/
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.
Casa

VISA for brother

Postby marinakr » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi,
I am employed by NHS and i have purple certificate. I have applied for blue as i am more that 20 months here in UK. Is there any chance for my brother to come here and work trough me? I can guarantee for him that i will support financially. I am Croatian national

Thank you
marinakr
Newly Registered

Re: VISA for brother

Postby CR001 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:12 pm

marinakr wrote:Hi,
I am employed by NHS and i have purple certificate. I have applied for blue as i am more that 20 months here in UK. Is there any chance for my brother to come here and work trough me? I can guarantee for him that i will support financially. I am Croatian national

Thank you

Is your brother not also Croatian?? Suggest start your own topic as this one where you have posted is NOT for EU nationals but for older dependents under the UK immigration route.
Char
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.
CR001

Postby Obie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:28 pm

Despite the Hardship Caused by the Adult Dependent Relative provision, the Home Office has decided to maintain it, following the worthless result of the review.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ves-review
You haven't lived today successfully, unless you've done something for someone who can never repay you.'
Obie

Postby vinny » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:52 am

Please click on any given links for further information.

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
vinny

Postby secret.simon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:07 pm

The statistics on Page 11 & 12 of the Home Office report make interesting reading.

In summary, of the 2782 applications made since July 2012, only 173 application succeeded at first, but a further 439 succeeded on appeal.In total, so far, 22% of applications have succeeded, mainly at appeal stage. So, the route is not as hopeless as it seems at first sight, provided you have deep pockets to pay for the appeal process.

Secondly, the Home Office looked at alternatives, such as requiring either bonds or private health insurance to ensure that the ADR is not a burden on the NHS. But it argued that both these options would make ADRs only for the wealthy, especially as private health insurance for the elderly could be very costly and there is no guarantee that it could be renewed.

To some extent, we on these forums have probably made the Home Office's job easier, by suggesting against applying for ADRs, based on earlier statistics which had suggested that only 34 applications had succeeded in a year. Now that we have a fuller set of statistics, each person can look at their own circumstances and reflect on whether it is worth spending money on an application that is still overwhelmingly rejected (78% even after taking into account appeal successes) or whether they are confident that their case would fall in the 22% success rate. Testing the law in the courts will help clarify it further, though of course it is entirely possible that the government rewrites it.

The Home office does invite "any further information and evidence about their (the current ADR rules) operation, impact and possible alternatives" to be sent to FamilyOpsPolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, but I can only imagine the nature of missives addressed there.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice. Being a Respected Guru does not mean I know more, it just means I can google better. Google knows it all.
secret.simon
Respected Guru

Previous

Return to Immigration for family members