ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Qualification in 04/2015 Set(O) form

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rknshree

Re: English Qualification in 04/2015 Set(O) form

Post by rknshree » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:05 pm

hmm , No, I got the response :
1. No need to pay more fee , your fee is still valid for your booked appointment, Also confirmed that date of payment is not date of application at all, date of application will be my date of premiium appointment.
2. I can use the latest form available and provide online payment sheet.

3. Can use pBS print out for English

KASHIF830

Post by KASHIF830 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Hello mates,

I have a Master Degree from UK and evidence was submitted at the initial Tier 1 General application in May 2010. In extension on June 2012 evidence was not susubmitted for Qualifications and English Language. But Now for ILR there is a option for Not to submit Degree for qualifications BUT For English Language there is No option to click that We have to submit evidence or Not. My wife has B1 so there is a option click But for Main applicant No option.

So Do I need to resubmit my UK Master Degree to prove.

Thanks
Regards
Kashif

nks

Post by nks » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:39 pm

ubuntu fan wrote:Guys

I called up the UKVI call centre number at 0300 123 2253 just now.

I was told the following:
* if we have booked our appointment before 6 April 2015 then we can use the old version (10 / 14) and supply documents for English requirements mentioned in that version (PBS print out + original degree)
* if we reschedule the previously booked appt OR book a new one now then we will fall under new rules and will have to comply with new requirements for English language. This "An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and" is not the same as print out from PBS calculator according to the person who advised me.

Did anyone get a similar response?
Did you refer the guidance, which still says pbs calculator output can be used?

ubuntu fan
Newly Registered

Post by ubuntu fan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:59 pm

nks wrote:
ubuntu fan wrote:Guys

I called up the UKVI call centre number at 0300 123 2253 just now.

I was told the following:
* if we have booked our appointment before 6 April 2015 then we can use the old version (10 / 14) and supply documents for English requirements mentioned in that version (PBS print out + original degree)
* if we reschedule the previously booked appt OR book a new one now then we will fall under new rules and will have to comply with new requirements for English language. This "An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and" is not the same as print out from PBS calculator according to the person who advised me.

Did anyone get a similar response?
Did you refer the guidance, which still says pbs calculator output can be used?
Yes, I did. IMHO the person advising me didn't seem like he knew much himself. He kept reading English requirement from the new form and insisting I should contact NARIC.

I tried a 2nd time a bit later and this time I was suggested that I use my original degree AND PBS print out with the option that applies, either:
"UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or"
OR
"the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); OR"

So honestly I am not sure what advice to follow - I will wait to hear from others.

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks Ubuntu fan for clarifying it again. I almost booked my B1 test :-).
Then I email to SettlementOps and got the auto reply like rknshree. There was a document attached with that email which goes about english like below. I think it makes clear that we can use our original degree with PBS calculator.

Question 6. Will my degree meet the requirement?
If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the
language part of the requirement if:
- Your qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, or
- Your qualification was taught or researched in an English speaking country other
than Canada (see list below).
You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.
Question 7. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the
recognised standard?

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website)
with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were
awarded ten points for English language, you can submit evidence from the online
points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you
can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the
UK (KOLL) requirement. (See Q8 and Q9 below also.)
Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was
taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA).
(UK NARIC will only issue an ELA for a degree that is comparable to a UK degree, so it
will not be necessary to also request a Statement of Comparability.)
Question 8. How do I show that I have points for my degree and points for English?
If you want to use the calculator to show that you meet the KOLL requirement, you
should access the calculator as a Tier 2 (General) migrant, and enter your degree details
in the English skills category. If your qualification compares to a UK degree and it was
taught in English it will be awarded 10 points.

nks

Post by nks » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:25 pm

Think this should close the thread. Good luck all who are applying soon and please do update here of your outcome.

rknshree

Post by rknshree » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Cool. I got similar document as communicated earlier.

Can someone review my document check list please on other thread ?
Wil appreciate a lot and be thankful for ever to you guys

Its here - http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 84105.html

ubuntu fan
Newly Registered

Post by ubuntu fan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi meratier1 or rknshree

Can you please upload the document that you received from HO for the rest to have a read?

regards,

KASHIF830

Post by KASHIF830 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 pm

nks wrote:Think this should close the thread. Good luck all who are applying soon and please do update here of your outcome.
Hi Anyone reply please

I have a Master Degree from UK and evidence was submitted at the initial Tier 1 General application in May 2010. In extension on June 2012 evidence was not susubmitted for Qualifications and English Language. But Now for ILR there is a option for Not to submit Degree for qualifications BUT For English Language there is No option to click that We have to submit evidence or Not. My wife has B1 so there is a option click But for Main applicant No option.

Thanks
Regards
Kashif

hsmp_apr2010

Post by hsmp_apr2010 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:04 pm

Please could anyone upload the document that you received from the HO which has the details about english language requirement?

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Sorry guys it wasn't getting attached but it's not a big document so I've placed the whole content here.

Name of the document : Qualifications fact sheet 02 04 15 FINAL.pdf

KNOWLEDGE OF LANGUAGE AND LIFE IN THE UK REQUIREMENT
Qualifications Fact Sheet
Thank you for your enquiry to our Inbox. This sheet gives information about English language qualifications that can be used for the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirement. Further information can be found on our website, which we will update to provide information about frequently asked questions: https://www.gov.uk/english-language.
If your query can be answered by the information below we will not reply directly.
English language tests
1. Will my qualification meet the requirement?

We cannot advise about individual qualifications. Your qualification should cover speaking and listening at B1 CEFR level or above and either:
• be on the attached LIST A if you are applying for settlement, or LIST B if you are applying for citizenship. (If you are not sure if your qualification is one of those on the lists, you may wish to contact the college where you studied.)
• An ESOL qualification taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland that includes speaking and listening, at or above Entry level 3, and is regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual), or the Welsh Government or the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA). It must also be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications.
• A National Qualification in ESOL at SCQF levels 4 or above, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).

2. Do I need to pass all parts of the qualification?

Some of the qualifications which we accept include speaking and listening as part of a wider qualification which also covers reading and writing skills, but other qualifications are available which concentrate on speaking and listening skills only. Where a test examines four components (speaking, listening, reading and writing) you must provide evidence that you have passed the speaking and listening elements of the test. We will not look at the overall score.
3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?

Some qualifications are only valid for 2 years for immigration purposes. For settlement applications, we will accept one of the qualifications on LIST A that has passed the expiry date, if:

• The qualification has previously been accepted by us in connection with another immigration application, e.g. for entry clearance, or
• (if it is being presented for the first time) it was taken in the UK, and is on the OFQUAL register.

The expiry dates do not apply to citizenship applications.
4. I sent my documents for a previous application. Do I need to send them again?

Yes. Evidence that an English language requirement was met for entry clearance purposes is only held by the post abroad for a limited period. In addition, this information is not easily accessible to caseworkers in the UK. You should therefore send evidence of your qualification with your application.
5. My qualification used to be on the accepted list for settlement, but isn’t any more. Can I still meet the requirement?

Some tests were removed from the accepted list from 1 August 2014 as part of changes to the Immigration Rules. Those qualifications will soon be removed from the list for citizenship applications, but can still be used at the current time.
However, if your test was taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, it may still be on the OFQUAL register of ESOL qualifications. If this is the case, you can still use it to meet the knowledge of English requirement for both citizenship and settlement.
Degree Qualifications
6. Will my degree meet the requirement?

If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the language part of the requirement if:
- Your qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, or
- Your qualification was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada (see list below).

You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.
7. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the recognised standard?

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement. (See Q8 and Q9 below also.)
Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA). (UK NARIC will only issue an ELA for a degree that is comparable to a UK degree, so it will not be necessary to also request a Statement of Comparability.)
8. How do I show that I have points for my degree and points for English?

If you want to use the calculator to show that you meet the KOLL requirement, you should access the calculator as a Tier 2 (General) migrant, and enter your degree details in the English skills category. If your qualification compares to a UK degree and it was taught in English it will be awarded 10 points.
9. How do I show that my qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and was taught in English, if it is not recognised by the points calculator?

You can request a Statement of Comparability from UK NARIC and a letter from the university stating that the degree was taught in English
Details of how to contact UK NARIC can be found at: http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Contact%20Us.aspx
ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES
The following are classed as English speaking countries for the KoLL requirement: Antigua and Barbuda Guyana
Australia Jamaica
The Bahamas New Zealand
Barbados St Kitts and Nevis
Belize St Lucia
Canada St Vincent and the Grenadines
Dominica Trinidad and Tobago
Grenada The United States of America

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Kashif,

I think this document will answer your question as well. Read question no 4 and it's answer.

I hope there is no harm in providing the degree again.

KASHIF830

Post by KASHIF830 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:57 pm

meratier1 wrote:Hi Kashif,

I think this document will answer your question as well. Read question no 4 and it's answer.

I hope there is no harm in providing the degree again.
Thanks brother

Yeah its right No Harm to provide evidence But I was confused that on qualifications they did not ask for evevidence if anyone has claimed point on same qualifications But Need to Submit Degree for English Language however They gave points for Qualifications and Language at same degree on Tier 1 General initial application.

Anyway Thanks a lot

alien.uk
Mood:

Post by alien.uk » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:55 pm

So far we have seen all the speculations about PBS calc Vs UK NARIC, Just waiting for the first success story before I can feel relieved of the stress that I am going through!!

Would be really helpful if someone is going tomorrow or the day after, mine is on friday 10th April
Alien UK
ILR received - November 2014
Applied for Naturalisation - Feb 2016
Naturalisation Approval - Mar 2016
Passport Received - April 2016

ILR21
Newly Registered

Post by ILR21 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:50 am

Hi All,

I have a some clarification from SettlementOpsPolicy. Its looks like NARIC letter is not mandatory and PBS printout for Tier2(General) along with the degree certificte will suffice the language requirement. See below the email transcript --

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
My original request -
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am applying for ILR at a PEO on 10th April under Tier1 General route.

May I request clarification on how to meet the KOLL requirements, in particular the knowledge of English Language for ILR after changes to the application form and the online PBS calculator since 6th April 2015.

Could you please clarify the following -

1. The old application form had the following option for section 4.3 -
"A degree taught or researched in English", which isnt there in the new application form.

The new online PBS calculator (since 6th April 2015) no longer has a Tier1 General Option.

So if one of the means of proving the language requirement before 6th April 2015, was to supply the degree certificate and a printout of the PBS calculator, what is the acceptable corresponding approach to prove English Language requirement with the new application form?

2. Alternatively, as I had booked my appointment before the new application form was rolled out (wef 6th April 2010), Is it acceptable to make an application using the old application form in use before 6th April 2015.

Many Thanks.
Kind Regards

Reply from HomeOffice -

Thank you for your e-mail.

If you have already booked a Premium Service appointment the fee for your application will be the one that was in place when you made the appointment.

You should use the new version of the application form which is available on our website.

You also asked about using the Points Based calculator to show your level of English to apply for settlement.

As you are aware, the Tier 1 General route closed on 6 April. Please follow the process below to determine whether your degree is acceptable for Settlement and Nationality.

1. Tier dropdown: select Tier 2 (Skilled workers);
Category drop-down: select Tier 2 (General); ‘Where are you applying from?’ question: select Outside the United Kingdom (this is the quickest way to get to the required stage in the system)

2. In the following ‘Sponsorship’ and ‘Salary’ stages select either Yes or No; (doesn’t matter which)

3. In the ‘English skills’ stage, select "I have a UK Bachelor degree-equivalent qualification (or above) that was taught in English"

4. Enter details of the qualification in the following drop-down lists, up to and including ‘Year of award’

5. In the table displayed on the next screen, check the Points for English language column:

a. If 10 points are displayed, the qualification has been deemed by UK NARIC to be academically equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree or higher and to have been taught in English;

b. If zero points are displayed, the qualification may either have been deemed to be below UK Bachelor degree level, or not taught in English, or both.

I hope this helps.

Yours sincerely,

Jane Whitehead

Jane Whitehead
Nationality and Settlement Operational Policy, Immigration & Border Policy, Home Office

I plan to take a printout of this email communication for just in case there are any issues at the PEO.

Good Luck All :)

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Good luck to you as well mate. Please share your experience after 10th April and let us know how did it go?

chaitumkr

Post by chaitumkr » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:52 pm

rknshree wrote:Just talked to Home office on phone, for english langugae - we can use any other Tier 1 category for PBS calculator, and provide a line in cover letter about Tier 1 General closed on PBS and our use of a different category.

For fee - she confirmed, use latest form but the already paid old fee is still valid.

I was planning to use the PBS calculator for settlement for main applicant , but seems like I will not be able to and Its not really required. You can put everything in your cover letter and refer to guidnace and the points you get .

Please share if you already prepared cover letter , that will be great help to others aswell.

pebb1ee

Post by pebb1ee » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm

KASHIF830 wrote:Hello mates,

Thanks
Regards
Kashif

Hi Kashif,

I have got ILR granted today at CROYDON.
I had a master degree from UK and i have posted the case details on
http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 4-200.html

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me,

thanks,

pebble

pebb1ee

Post by pebb1ee » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:19 pm

KASHIF830 wrote:
nks wrote:Think this should close the thread. Good luck all who are applying soon and please do update here of your outcome.
Hi Anyone reply please

Thanks
Regards
Kashif
I was granted ILR today at CROYDON. I have got a masters degree from UK. I did provide them the original degree and transcript.

On page 39, 9B - Qualifications assessment, i selected the following
Qualification recognised on the points-based calculator and evidence submitted as part of
previous Tier 1 (General) application.

however on question 4.3, i ticked two of the following:

• An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the
recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or
PhD in the United Kingdom and:
• the qualification was taught or researched in the UK
or a majority English speaking country (other than
Canada);

dkmca80

Post by dkmca80 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:00 am

Hi Guys,
I am also on the same boat , booked appoitnment in March for apppointment data on 18th April at Croydon.

I need following answers

1. Which form I need to use beofore 6th April or after 6th April 2010? as fees has increased after 6th April 2015.
2. What Option I need to chose for english requirment for me and my wife in new form after 6th April?
3. PBS calculator removed Tier 1 option so which option I need to choose to show that my and wife degree is in PBS calculator ?

Any other specfic req for this english?
I dont know why they keep changing the form so frequently and rather than making it easier they make it more diffcult :(.

UpToDate

Post by UpToDate » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:06 am

Hi DKMCA,

I am in the same situation and going same day appointment as your, Croydon.

I would suggest use the latest available form, Use Tier2 for for PBS calulator summary...don't worry they knows these chanhes and we have booked before 6th April.

cheers!

dkmca80

Post by dkmca80 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:10 am

Hi UptoDate,
Sorry dont know yr name.. what date are you going? are you alone or with dependent? pls contact me lets have discussion- dkmca80@gmail.com

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi alien.uk,

Mate you mentioned that you have your PEO appointment on 10th April so how did it go for you. Were any questions asked to you about english qualification or fee etc. Please share you experience mate.

KASHIF830

Post by KASHIF830 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:15 am

pebb1ee wrote:
KASHIF830 wrote:
Hi Anyone reply please

Thanks
Regards
Kashif
I was granted ILR today at CROYDON. I have got a masters degree from UK. I did provide them the original degree and transcript.

On page 39, 9B - Qualifications assessment, i selected the following
Qualification recognised on the points-based calculator and evidence submitted as part of
previous Tier 1 (General) application.

however on question 4.3, i ticked two of the following:

• An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the
recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or
PhD in the United Kingdom and:
• the qualification was taught or researched in the UK
or a majority English speaking country (other than
Canada);

Hi Mate

So for UK Madter degree we dont need any letter from NARIC UK or do we need NARIC letter too along with UK Master degree. In new form UKVI has created more confusion most of the people are worried about English Language requirements.

Thanks
Regards
Kashif

jpat2002

Post by jpat2002 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:01 am

Hello

Actually I hold PostGraduate Certificate in Applied Science from UK university,and i have previously submitted same qualification at time of my Initial tier 1 general application and for extension for Qualification point and English Language Requirement.
I am due to apply for ILR soon,But now I could not find this qualification on PBS calculator. In new form for qualification i will tick that evidence been previously provided But what option applies to me for English Language ..?Please reply me..

Is that anyway i can i can get English Language Assessment letter for UK qualification,as NARIC is for overseas qualification.
(I have UK university letter states Qualification is equivalent to UK bachelors degree and taught in English.)

Please help..

Thanks