ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving from UK to Ireland - 14 year son's education

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CliffTee
Newly Registered

Moving from UK to Ireland - 14 year son's education

Post by CliffTee » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:25 am

Hi,

We are planning a move to Ireland from the UK. My wife is Irish and we have 2 sons, aged 9 and 14.

My eldest is in year 9 and has just chosen his options and is starting his GCSEs in September.

We just spoke with a lady at a school in the area we want to move to, and it turns out that children his age will be starting the 3rd and final year of the 'Junior Cert' in September.

She advised that it isn't a good idea for our son to start school in Ireland at this stage as he will have to cram in 3 years worth of work into 1 year.

We tend to agree.

So, we are now considering the option of moving in 2 years, at the end of my son's GCSEs when he is 16.

At this time, he will be ready to start the Irish 'Leaving Cert' at the same time as Irish students his age. As far as I can tell, the Leaving Cert is more or less the equivalent to our 'A' Levels.

However, it seems that, in Ireland, you have to do a minimum of 5/6 subjects, with Irish being compulsory. We are worried that 5/6 compulsory 'Leaving Cert' subjects may be a bit much as you would normally do 3 or 4 'A' Levels in the UK.

So, if we were to move at the end of my son's GCSE's, what sort of options would he have, in terms of choosing what subjects to take, how many he would have to take and would Irish be compulsory? Also, would he be able to do his Leaving Cert in college as opposed to a secondary school?

Anyone with any experience of this? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Moving from UK to Ireland - 14 year son's education

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:28 am

This isn't really an immigration question. Suggest get in touch with the education authorities in Ireland to understand things better.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Moving from UK to Ireland - 14 year son's education

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:28 am

This isn't really an immigration question. Suggest get in touch with the education authorities in Ireland to understand things better.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.