ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Britain by birth for EEA parent moving to UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mahmoud
Newly Registered

Britain by birth for EEA parent moving to UK

Post by mahmoud » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:39 am

Hi
I am from Finland, my husband is from Egypt, and he will be transferred to work in UK by the multinational company that he works for. We will move to UK next month. I am currently pregnant and my child will born in UK.
My question is will the new baby get the British passport automatically or not? If not, when will we be able to apply? And what do i need to do as EEA moving to UK?
Thanks for your help

vinny

Re: Britain by birth for EEA parent moving to UK

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:09 am

No.
But if you reside under the EEA Regulations for 5 years, then you would attain PR.
Then child will be entitled to register as a British citizen.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Re: Britain by birth for EEA parent moving to UK

Post by Universal soldier » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:56 am

Your child can become Finland national by birth but certainly not British. And as Vinny said that you need to exercise treaty rights for next year then you can get permanent residence then you can register your child British.

mahmoud
Newly Registered

BC for a Child of EEA born in UK

Post by mahmoud » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi
I am from Finland. my husband is Egyptian and his job will be transferred to UK by next month. I am pregnant at the moment and I will deliver the baby next April. if I deliver the baby in UK, will the child be a British Citizen and get the British passport Automatically" as one of the parents are from EEA"? if not, then what are the conditions that applies in my case and what do I need to do to get the British citizenship for the coming baby?
thank you for your help

Casa

Re: BC for a Child of EEA born in UK

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:09 pm

As you won't have been granted permanent residence in the UK at the time of your child's birth, they won't be entitled to British Citizenship. See below; Note 'Settled means permanent residence which is a 5 year route for an EU citizen.
A child will be a British citizen when he or she is born if one of his or her parents (see Note 4) is:
• a British citizen (it does not matter how the parent concerned became a British citizen),
or
• settled in the United Kingdom (see Note 5)
If neither of the child’s parents is a British citizen or settled in the United Kingdom, then the child
will not be a British citizen when he or she is born.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.