ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benefits help please and applying for ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LoveMyBaby786

Benefits help please and applying for ILR

Post by LoveMyBaby786 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi there,
I am a british citizen married to a pakistani man.
my husband came here on a spouse visa via the 2 year route.
we dont need to apply for his ilr until another 10 months or so but would like to be prepared.

My question is i am getting child benefit for both my kids.
also i have made a joint claim on tax credits since he came here for which we are eligible to claim working tax credit and child tax credit.

My husband works but im a stay at home mother for now. On the letter from hmrc it says my name next to child tax credit and my husbands next to working tax credit But it all goes into my account.

Now will claiming the child benefit and working/child tqx credit be a problem when applying for his ilr?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Benefits help please and applying for ILR

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:51 am

No it won't affect his ILR. Child benefit must be in your name and tax credits must be in joint names.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LoveMyBaby786

Post by LoveMyBaby786 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:29 am

CR001 wrote:No it won't affect his ILR. Child benefit must be in your name and tax credits must be in joint names.
Thank you. Yes child benefit is in my name and tax credits isvjoint.

hopeful2003
Newly Registered

Post by hopeful2003 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Does your husband has recourse to public funds? If not he can't apply for working tax credit. You applying for child tax credit and adding his name is different from him applying for wtc and adding your name.

LoveMyBaby786

Post by LoveMyBaby786 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:14 pm

hopeful2003 wrote:Does your husband has recourse to public funds? If not he can't apply for working tax credit. You applying for child tax credit and adding his name is different from him applying for wtc and adding your name.
im not sure what you mean sorry? On his visa it says no recourse to public funds. When he came over to the uk on his spouse visa i told the hmrc and made a joint tax credits claim As before he came i was on a single claim. I ticked the box that says he is subject to immigration control. does that a problem for us when applying for ilr?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:54 pm

You appear to be claiming correctly as working tax credits should be claimed in joint names.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

LoveMyBaby786

Post by LoveMyBaby786 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:22 pm

Casa wrote:You appear to be claiming correctly as working tax credits should be claimed in joint names.
Thank you

hopeful2003
Newly Registered

Post by hopeful2003 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:34 pm

What I mean is that there would have been no issues if you were working and claiming working tax credit with your husband's name on it. As it stands now, technically your husband is the one claiming not you.

LoveMyBaby786

Post by LoveMyBaby786 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:36 pm

hopeful2003 wrote:What I mean is that there would have been no issues if you were working and claiming working tax credit with your husband's name on it. As it stands now, technically your husband is the one claiming not you.
I see what you mean. Even though its a joint claim is this a problem? If so should i contact hmrc and ask to cancel the working tax credit payments only?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:30 am

Casa wrote:You appear to be claiming correctly as working tax credits should be claimed in joint names.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LoveMyBaby786

Post by LoveMyBaby786 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:24 am

CR001 wrote:
Thanks. Sorry i was getting confused as was receiving 2 different answers but it seems like i am doing everything fine and shouldn't worry.