ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in pakistan

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Asad1232009

Child born in pakistan

Post by Asad1232009 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:33 am

Hi i need some information if that is ok.

I am a British citizen since 1994 lived here since if my wifein pakistan has a child can i register the child to be british? If so does financial requirement go up if apply for my wifes spouse visa?

Thank you

vinny

Re: Child born in pakistan

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:47 am

If child is British, then there is no extra financial burden for your wife due to the child.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Asad1232009

Post by Asad1232009 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:41 pm

How can i register my child as british? What steps do i take. Can i apply for right of abode for the child so the child has a visa to enter with his mother.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:31 pm

How did you become a citizen?

Were you born British? If so, where you born in the UK or overseas? Or did you naturalise as a British citizen or were you registered as a child yourself?

Asad1232009

Right of Abode / certification of entitlement PLEASE HELP!

Post by Asad1232009 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:58 am

Salaam i have been reading up on this forum for a while. My wife is in pakistan and we may have a child before anything i want to know how to apply for right of abode for a baby. I am british otherwise than descent. I was born in pak but came over when i was 4 years old since my first time going to Pakistan i had a british passport im 23 1991

So sister what documents do you need to supply and what application form do i need to fill in? Would be a great help id be struggling to earn 22400 waiting to apply for my wifes spouse visa.

Asad1232009

right of abode certificate of entiltlement please help

Post by Asad1232009 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Salaam i have been reading up on this forum for a while. My wife is in pakistan and we may have a child before anything i want to know how to apply for right of abode for a baby. I am british otherwise than descent. I was born in pak but came over when i was 4 years old since my first time going to Pakistan i had a british passport im 23 1991

So sister what documents do you need to supply and what application form do i need to fill in? Would be a great help id be struggling to earn 22400 waiting to apply for my wifes spouse visa.

secret.simon

Re: right of abode certificate of entiltlement please help

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:10 pm

If you were born in Pakistan, the only way you can be "British otherwise than by descent" is if you naturalised.

Are you British by naturalisation? Or are you British because your one of your parents was British? If you are British because of your parents, your child is not British if s/he was born in Pakistan.

Also, Pakistan allows for multiple citizenship. I would think that you can apply for both British and Pakistan passports for the child, instead of a Right of Abode certificate. That is, assuming that s/he is eligible.

boloney

Post by boloney » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:28 pm

secret.simon wrote:If you were born in Pakistan, the only way you can be "British otherwise than by descent" is if you naturalised.
surely if he was registered using MN1 that would make him British otherwise than by descent.

Asad1232009

Post by Asad1232009 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:20 pm

i am not sure how i am british my granddad was british but my mother was born in pakistan then she came over to live with her father. my mum had a pakistani passport with our names on the passport a few years later in april 2007 applied for a british passport and reicevd it. now im 23 years old i dont i was registered as british or naturalisation i have not got any problems with immigration i can enter and leave the uk without any problems also i have a british passport so does that make me british otherwise than by descent? is there any way i can check i.e call up a offical immigration office?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:32 pm

boloney wrote:surely if he was registered using MN1 that would make him British otherwise than by descent.
boloney, you are quite correct. That possibility slipped my mind.

Asad1232009

In order to know if your son is British, you will need to check how you became British. Generally, if you are a British citizen born overseas because one of your parents was British, then your children will not be British by birth, but will get the mother's citizenship (in your case, the child will be Pakistani).

However, as boloney rightly pointed out, if you were registered in the UK using Form MN1, that would allow you to transmit your citizenship to your child, but s/he would definitely not be able to pass it on to his/her children if born outside the UK.

Check with your mother if she registered you as a British citizen at some point in the past. If you were registered, but you have lost the registration certificate, you can get a copy at https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate.

If on the other hand, as you have mentioned, you were born in Pakistan, but are a British citizen and you were not registered, then you are likely a British citizen by descent and your child is not British and hence not entitled to a British passport by birth except if the child is born in the UK.
Asad1232009 wrote:if my wifein pakistan has a child
Your initial query suggests that your wife has not yet delivered the child. If she is within term and able to travel, she may be better off giving birth in the UK.

Asad1232009

Post by Asad1232009 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:08 am

thank you for your kind replies i have no idea how to check my mother is seriously ill she has dementia also memory loss she forges something within 10 seconds so i doubt she will remember what happend even my father would not know. my wife is 17 ( 18 but wrong dob ) she is preganant i have to wait minimum 10 months just so i can apply for her spouse visa.

that link is only if i was registerd? im not sure did they have that 10 15 years ago?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:46 am

I would say that you should assume the worst-case scenario i.e. that you are a British citizen by descent and that if born in Pakistan, your child is not British and therefore, it can not get a Right of Abode certificate or British passport. It is worth repeating that if the child is born in the UK, it will be British.

The child will need the same visa as the mother to come to the UK; "family of a settled person" visa. So, you should apply for the visa for both mother and child.

The link in my earlier post is only for if you were registered. You can apply for a copy of your registration certificate if it is lost.