ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport by Decent, Abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chris_pegg
Newly Registered

British Passport by Decent, Abroad

Post by chris_pegg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:41 am

Greetings all!,

I've been lurking on this site for a little while now but I still have some questions I can't find the answers to. I'm applying for a british passport (mom british, I was born after '91, born in the US) and maybe I'm over thinking this. I have all the documents listed I need, but these are my questions (I apologize in advance if these are stupid):

- do I need to include a marriage certificate? as her name is different in her birth certificate than on mine?
- what happens if I don't know either parent's passport numbers? the application says "if applicable"
- when it says nationality at the time of my birth, do I say that I am british (because of her) or I'm american? (I'm sorry if this is stupid!)

Again, I have all the documents- my birth certificate, my mother's birth certificate, my passport pages, photos, and countersignature- as well as additional information. Is that really it?

Thanks in advance!,
CP

vinny

Re: British Passport by Decent, Abroad

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:10 am

I think that you would need to include your mother's marriage certificate as her name has changed from that on her birth certificate.

Can ask your mother for her British passport number? Her long-version British birth certificate may be sufficient.

You should be both British and American at birth.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

chris_pegg
Newly Registered

Re: British Passport by Decent, Abroad

Post by chris_pegg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:29 pm

vinny wrote:I think that you would need to include your mother's marriage certificate as her name has changed from that on her birth certificate.

Can ask your mother for her British passport number? Her long-version British birth certificate may be sufficient.

You should be both British and American at birth.

My mother and I have a contentious relationship at the moment and asking for her passport number out of the blue would be an ordeal I think. Anyway, I'll see what I can do about that. So, I would assume that if I don't provide a marriage license copy (which I can/will), then they may come back to me and ask me for it as her name has changed? I agree, I think having it would be a safe bet.

Thanks vinny!