ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

child born in UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

9bravi
Newly Registered

child born in UK

Post by 9bravi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:39 am

Hi All
I am in a very strange situation:
I am on WP since 2006 Jan and will be eligible for ILR (PR) in dec 2010. we are blessed with baby boy in Nov 2009 and did not get his WP stamped on his new indian passport because we don't have plans to visit India.
My query is:
1. Can I apply for ILR for my son along with my application on his blank indian passport (no WP on it) I have birth certificate issued from UK.
2. I changed my employer in 2007 and my WP was transferred to new employer. so my 5yr clock will start from the day i entered (2006) or will it start from 2007
3. should we consider holidays (like visiting family for 3 weeks etc) as gap?
4. gap is working days or including weekends

Thanks & Regards
Ravi bandaru

geriatrix

Re: child born in UK

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:00 pm

9bravi wrote:1. Can I apply for ILR for my son along with my application on his blank indian passport (no WP on it) I have birth certificate issued from UK.
Reading this will help.
9bravi wrote:2. I changed my employer in 2007 and my WP was transferred to new employer. so my 5yr clock will start from the day i entered (2006) or will it start from 2007
Unless there's been a break in residency, your ILR count started in 2006.

regards

9bravi
Newly Registered

Thanks for reply

Post by 9bravi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:56 pm

thanks for your reply..
about my child ILR issue... by the time i will apply he will be 13 months.. so is there any rule that says we can include child in ILR with in 12 months only?

Thanks & Regards
Ravi Bandaru

John

Post by John » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:53 am

o is there any rule that says we can include child in ILR with in 12 months only?
No! Just include your child in the ILR applications when they are made.
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 02, 2010 1:54 am

Also, note that
vinny wrote:immediately after a parent is granted settlement/PR, their child is entitled to register for British citizenship (Section 1(3)), irrespective of child's immigration status.
Last edited by vinny on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:30 am

vinny wrote:Also, note that
vinny wrote:immediately after a parent is granted settlement/PR, their child is entitled to register for British citizenship (Section 1(3)), irrespective of child's immigration status.
quick question! My child was born here and got given tier 1 dependant. Is it possible skip his ILR and directly apply for citizenship when me and my wife apply for our ILR?
Goodluck.

John

Post by John » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:56 am

Is it possible skip his ILR and directly apply for citizenship when me and my wife apply for our ILR?
Let's get the wording spot on! Had you posted "Is it possible to skip his ILR and directly apply for citizenship after me and my wife get our ILRs?", as per Vinny's links, yes!
John

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 pm

John wrote:
Is it possible skip his ILR and directly apply for citizenship when me and my wife apply for our ILR?
Let's get the wording spot on! Had you posted "Is it possible to skip his ILR and directly apply for citizenship after me and my wife get our ILRs?", as per Vinny's links, yes!
Let's not get the wordings spot on for a minute. The reason why I asked, I'd apply for my ILR less than 1 months before my T1 expires and I'm pretty sure my son's visa (which has same validity as mine) would expire in the meantime leaving him illegal in the country...

So again, is it possible to apply for his citizenship with my ILR application or if there is any way around it?
Goodluck.

John

Post by John » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Up to you, but his status is irrelevant to the success of a section 1(3) application.
John

malayanayak

Post by malayanayak » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 am

Dear All

can you please advise me the following:

I will be applying for ILR on 5 yrs HSMP basis in Dec 2011 along with wife who has been a dependant since Jan 2007. Son born in UK in Jan 2008, his dependant visa also expires in Jan 2012. Can I exclude him whilst my case is being processed for ILR and then apply for MN1? and what would be his immigration status during that time. Or should I include him as well for ILR and take it from there?

Thanks.

Kind regards
John wrote:Up to you, but his status is irrelevant to the success of a section 1(3) application.

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:07 pm

malayanayak, let's consider the possibilities, even the theoretical possibilities. If your ILR application is rejected for some reason, then even if you include your child in the ILR, well his application will get rejected as well.

But if, as we all hope, your ILR is granted, then as soon as it is granted an application for Registration as British for your born-in-the-UK child can be made under section 1(3) .... and you might well submit that section 1(3) application prior to the child's visa expiring.

So the issue is, as far as I can see if, what benefit would it be to make an ILR for your child? As far as I can see it is possible simply to save the cost of adding your child to the ILR application.
John

malayanayak

Post by malayanayak » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks John
I am under HSMP JR as i got my HSMP approve letter in july 2006 and I am going to eligible to apply ILR in end of Dec 2011. I am thinking to apply ILR through PEO, hope I will get ILR in Dec 2011.

For example, if I apply ILR on 25th Dec 2011 through PEO and HO granted my ILR and I would like to know which date should be my ILR i.e 25th Dec 2011 or 18th Jan 2012.
Would you please advise me thanks again.
Kind regards
Malaya
John wrote:malayanayak, let's consider the possibilities, even the theoretical possibilities. If your ILR application is rejected for some reason, then even if you include your child in the ILR, well his application will get rejected as well.

But if, as we all hope, your ILR is granted, then as soon as it is granted an application for Registration as British for your born-in-the-UK child can be made under section 1(3) .... and you might well submit that section 1(3) application prior to the child's visa expiring.

So the issue is, as far as I can see if, what benefit would it be to make an ILR for your child? As far as I can see it is possible simply to save the cost of adding your child to the ILR application.

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:57 pm

The ILR is granted factually, that is, they do not post-date it.
John

malayanayak

Post by malayanayak » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Sorry John
I just want to clear the following:
For example if my ILR application granted on 25th Dec 2011 which is within 28days to 5 years and my son visa is also going to expire in 18th jan 2012. Which date should I mention on mn1 form that I got granted ILR. As per your advise i am not going to include my son in my ilr application.
John wrote:The ILR is granted factually, that is, they do not post-date it.

mk357
Member of Standing

Post by mk357 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:16 pm

malayanayak wrote:Sorry John
I just want to clear the following:
For example if my ILR application granted on 25th Dec 2011 which is within 28days to 5 years and my son visa is also going to expire in 18th jan 2012. Which date should I mention on mn1 form that I got granted ILR. As per your advise i am not going to include my son in my ilr application.
John wrote:The ILR is granted factually, that is, they do not post-date it.
The date when you actually get the ILR as mentioned by John i.e 25th De 2011.

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Which date should I mention on mn1 form that I got granted ILR
The date printed on it!

Of course it will not be granted on 25th December, will it! :roll:
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:21 pm

John wrote:malayanayak, let's consider the possibilities, even the theoretical possibilities. If your ILR application is rejected for some reason, then even if you include your child in the ILR, well his application will get rejected as well.
A possible problem is child's right of appeal when child's leave expires, if you are refused and was given right of appeal. Child is an overstayer. However, I don't think the UKBA will do anything against the child while the parent(s) are appealing.

Note that if child had never applied for leave, then child is not required to make an application for leave to remain. There would be no leave to expire!

Moreover, if a parent is eventually granted ILR, then child's status would not matter for the MN1 (section 1(3)) application, unless subject to the Good Character requirements.
Last edited by vinny on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 am

vinny wrote:
A possible problem is child's right of appeal when child's leave expires, if you are refused and was given right of appeal. However, I don't think the UKBA will do anything against the child while the parent(s) are appealing.

Note that if child had never applied for leave, then child is not required to make an application for leave to remain. There would be no leave to expire!

Moreover, if a parent is eventually granted ILR, then child's status would not matter for the MN1 (section 1(3)) application.
Hmm that child's right to appeal is a bit tricky...
Goodluck.

pjunk
Newly Registered

Post by pjunk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:07 am

Anyone else who has had similar issues? Did they consider aplying for child's ILR with their own?

I am considering skipping to put her with our ILR and then apply for her registration (using MN1) when we get ILR ...but worried about her overstaying status...What legal issues are involved here?

Thanks

John

Post by John » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:04 am

pjunk, your child was born in the UK? If so, after you and/or your spouse get ILR, an application to Register the child as a British Citizen can be made, under section 1(3). That is an entitlement application .... no UKBA discretion involved!
John

pjunk
Newly Registered

Post by pjunk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks John,

Yes, she was born in UK whilst we were on HSMP extension (Tier1). I can see that I dont have to have her on my ILR when I apply (next week) but I am also worried that her leave expires end of October.

The process of getting the registration for Br citizenship looks like around 2.5 months and I am worried that she will be visa less during much of her stay next few months. I know this wouldn’t matter for her entitlement to citizenship, but wanted to know whether this is legally immigration wise valid thing to do?
If yes, I would not put her down to apply for ILR with me. That saves us another half a grand.

Many thanks

ayesha11

Post by ayesha11 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Yes 9bravi ,pjunk , i am also in the same category .I will go for ILR in nov2011.Yes its true no need to apply for your child in ILR application, as my husband's friend apply for his n wife ilr which they got now ,now they r applying for their child registeration

dba_kkk

Post by dba_kkk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi All,

I have read many post in this forum and did some research on immigration directorate instructions
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... ance/IDIs/

see section 4a under chapter 8

It’s totally up to the parents which route they want to follow to achieve BC for their child

If you don’t have any plans for travelling for next 6 months you can skip your child from the ILR application and register directly using form MN1

I am in the same situation as you both are

But I have a kind for guessed the time for this route

ILR by post ( for only parents excluding your Uk born child) = 3 months
MN1 on and average it is taking = 2 months
BC passport = 2 weeks
Indian visa = 3 weeks

So i suggest this route if you do not have any plans to travel for next 6 moths

Cheers
Dba_kkk

pjunk
Newly Registered

Post by pjunk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Ok, I got my answer…
Spoke to immigration and Nationality both. They tossed me back and forth between the two help lines…Finally got my answer from immigration.

The lady said since my daughter is born here, she has the right to be in this country. Between expiry of her visa and registration for citizenship, she would not be living in the country unlawfully (since she was born here) although she would still have immigration restrictions on her.

pjunk
Newly Registered

Post by pjunk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks dba_kkk

When I asked Nationality how long would it take for the MN1 to be processed, he said 6 months. But, I have a feeling he was trying to scare me and he also added (after I gasped out of surprised) this is the time frame we are asked to give to everybody when they call with an inquiry.
dba_kkk wrote:Hi All,

I have read many post in this forum and did some research on immigration directorate instructions
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... ance/IDIs/

see section 4a under chapter 8

It’s totally up to the parents which route they want to follow to achieve BC for their child

If you don’t have any plans for travelling for next 6 months you can skip your child from the ILR application and register directly using form MN1

I am in the same situation as you both are

But I have a kind for guessed the time for this route

ILR by post ( for only parents excluding your Uk born child) = 3 months
MN1 on and average it is taking = 2 months
BC passport = 2 weeks
Indian visa = 3 weeks

So i suggest this route if you do not have any plans to travel for next 6 moths

Cheers
Dba_kkk