ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying EEA4

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

renu

applying EEA4

Post by renu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:52 am

Hi,i need some advices when to apply when EEA4.
i have been in the UK since 2004. i was on student visa when i came in the UK in 2004. i met my husband (polish national) in 2006 and 1st november 2007, we got married. then i applied EEA2 and issued in MAY 2008. my EEA2 visa is valid until May 2013.
i wanted to know when can i apply for my EEA4? my marriage wiill be 5 years this year in November, can i apply in November this year or i have to wait until May 2013, to apply?

also, i have a newborn and my husband recently got his citizenship. he needs to apply for British passport for him and my son...
when can i apply for british passport?
thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:21 am

You can apply for PR Confirmation after 5 years under the EEA regulations. The dates on the RC are irrelevant. For you this means 1st November 2012.

When you say my husband recently got his citizenship do you mean your husband has become a British citizen or you were referring to the baby?

If your husband is British already, you can apply for British citizenship in November 2012. This is because the requirements are having PR (which you will obtain automatically in November 2012) and 3 years of residence. You can skip the EEA4 application and apply directly.

If he is not British and doesn't plan to apply for British citizenship, you can apply for it on November 2013 (1 year after PR date).

renu

Post by renu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:32 am

thanks Jambo, my husband attended the naturalisation ceremony on monday. now he needs to apply for British Passport. i guess my son will get british passport when my husband will apply as he is born this year in july.
so if i appy for british passport, do i have to wait until my husband receive his passport and when can i apply for it? do you know how long it takes to process?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 am

Your son is already British from birth if he was born in the UK after your husband had PR. A person becoming British doesn't change his children nationality automatically.

To be able to apply for a British passport, you will first need to be a British citizen. As I said, you can apply for British citizenship in November 2012. Your husband doesn't need to have the passport by then. You can apply using the naturalisation certificate he received in the ceremony. The process time is several months (similar to the time it took your husband). You will need to pass the Life in the UK test before applying.

renu

Post by renu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm

in that case, do you think it is better for me to apply for the EEA4 first and then next year apply for naturatisation, etc...which one will be faster process, EEA4 or naturalisation? also, can EEA4 be applied in person in Home Office?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Well, that depends what you are after - PR or BC.

There is no need to wait one year after PR If your husband is British.

EEA4 and naturalisation take around the same time 3-6 months (naturalisation might be slightly quicker nowadays).

EEA4 is postal only.

renu

Post by renu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 pm

thanks, in that case if i apply for naturalisation, can i go in person to home office.and which form do i have to fill after i have taken the life in uk test.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm

There is no in person applications but you can use NCS which will allow you to keep your original documents.

Read more - Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting. I'm sure your husband is familiar with all of this as he just applied a few months ago.

renu

Post by renu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:50 pm

another quick question. my husband did not have to show any visa at his work place as he is an EU national, whereas i have to show a valid visa by May 2013 at my work place. if i will apply for naturalisation, will i be issued with a visa? i keep asking my husband about the procedure but he can't remember half of it, he keeps saying follow the application form.
so far, he remeber his passport was with him when he applied for the naturalisation.
how will i get indefnite leave to remain stamp to show at work? husband said he filled AN form, will this be the same for me?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:39 pm

If you apply for British citizenship there is no visa. If granted, you become British (after the ceremony). If you apply in November, hopefully by March you will be British and could show that to your employer. If not, it becomes a bit more complicated but your employer should be able to check your eligibility to work.

renu

Post by renu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:52 am

very kind of you Jambo for replying. i am now thinking whether to put in an EEA4 application so that i can show my employer. at the moment i am on maternity leave and my little one keeps me very busy. it will be a bit difficult to study for life in UK test, maybe in couple of months, i can take the test. do you think, i can take the Life in Uk test while my application for EEA4 is in process? also, the EEA4 is free.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 am

You can take the test anytime you wish. It is not a very difficult test and only requires a few hours of preparations (basically reading some chapters from a book).

renu

Post by renu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 am

thanks. i think i will do the EEA4 first and then slowly apply for the naturalisation.