ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student finance brp

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bop
Newly Registered

student finance brp

Post by bop » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:11 pm

I hve limited lave to remain brp..
my family and myself and I know I cannot get student finance. we have been living here or quite a while I went to high school here as well. I have applied and I have received offers. my question is how do I go about asking the university to charge me home student fees. could someone help please?

Casa

Re: student finance brp

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:19 pm

As you aren't yet settled in the UK and only have limited leave to remain, how do you consider that you are entitled to home student fees?
http://ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advic ... the-basics
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:26 pm

bop wrote:I hve limited lave to remain brp..
my family and myself and I know I cannot get student finance. we have been living here or quite a while I went to high school here as well. I have applied and I have received offers. my question is how do I go about asking the university to charge me home student fees. could someone help please?
No chance - you need ILR at least for three years.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:23 am

Wanderer wrote:No chance - you need ILR at least for three years.
Where are you getting that requirement from?

Requirement is to have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the first academic year, not to have been settled for all that time. If OP has those three years behind her, she would be pay home fees for any course she starts after she gains ILR.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:37 am

sah10406 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:No chance - you need ILR at least for three years.
Where are you getting that requirement from?

Requirement is to have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the first academic year, not to have been settled for all that time. If OP has those three years behind her, she would be pay home fees for any course she starts after she gains ILR.
Agree with you. However the OP does not have settled status (ILR).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:52 am

CR001 wrote:Agree with you. However the OP does not have settled status (ILR).
Sure, that's why I advised that "she would pay home fees for any course she starts after she gains ILR".

I am assuming there are no EU nationals or other relevant people in OP's family that could make her eligible in categories other than the category for people with settled status.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:00 am

sah10406 wrote:I am assuming there are no EU nationals or other relevant people in OP's family that could make her eligible in categories other than the category for people with settled status.
No, there wouldn't be if the OP has limited leave to remain under the UK immigration rules.

Perhaps the OP can give details of their full immigration history and when ILR might be due.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.