ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax for students

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anizy
Newly Registered
India

Council tax for students

Post by anizy » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:43 pm

I was a full tie student up until Sep 23 and shared the place with my sister who is a tier 2 visa holder. She had been paying her council tax and had added me to the council account as a member in the household. Now I have completed my studies and should start paying council tax, but I'm unemployed at the moment. so my query is when should I start paying council tax and should I notify the council that I'm no longer a student and set up the payment for council tax from my side or will this be handled by the council?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Council tax for students

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:59 pm

You pay council tax per property, NOT per person!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:15 am

anizy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:43 pm
my query is when should I start paying council tax and should I notify the council that I'm no longer a student and set up the payment for council tax from my side or will this be handled by the council?
This is not a visa query. Your Student visa has no bearing on the matter.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:46 pm

If you sister had informed the council that you are a student and that she was the only non-student adult residing in the property, the council may have given her a single occupant discount (because a student does not count for the purpose of council tax).

In the above case, your sister, as council tax payer for the property, should inform the council tax department that you ceased to study at the end of whatever was the end of your academic period. They will then recalculate the council tax bill and let her know what the new council tax will be.

As mentioned above, council tax is paid per property and not per person (look up Poll Tax riots and the history of the Community Charge to learn more about that). So you will not pay a separate council tax.

If your situation is different that the one above, you may want to take the query to the local Citizen Advice Bureau, because it is not an immigration issue, but a local tax issue.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.