ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK spouse visa help please. UK citizen disabled.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tiredduck
Newly Registered

UK spouse visa help please. UK citizen disabled.

Post by tiredduck » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Hello, after much searching and much confusion I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I am a UK Citizen engaged to a U.S. Citizen. We were planning to get married and hopefully I could bring her to the U.K. on a spouse visa.

She's a qualified primary school teacher in the US however I am disabled and receiving benefits. Her intention is to start work as soon as possible after arriving here but I am wondering if my status will prove an issue? If needed I have several family members willing to act as sponsors.

Additionally, if anybody could possibly give me a simplified series of steps as to what is required for the visa it would be very greatly appreciated as attempting to find my way through the dense and complicated official websites is causing me no end of, frequently quite literal and lengthy, headaches.

The plan is currently to get married in Aruba, her parents kindly offering to fund it, although I'm not entirely sure if this adds further complications due to it being part of the Dutch Antilles and whether getting married in the U.S. might be simpler.

If anyone could be of any assistance on all or any of this it would be extremely kind and I will be more than ready to name any future first born after you.

Thanks

Pete

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:07 am

Textbook on Immigration and Asylum Law > Chapter 9
9.3.2.2 Disabled sponsor

When MK (Somalia) v Entry Clearance Officer was heard in the Court of Appeal the outcome was different ([2007] EWCA Civ 1521). The Court of Appeal held that the appellant could rely on disability living allowance paid to his spouse for the purpose of establishing that she would be adequately maintained without recourse to public funds. The sponsor proposed to use her DLA to support her husband to be her carer. This was a way of meeting her needs by use of the DLA, and a matter of her choice. This is the first Court of Appeal authority on this point, and changes the direction of case law on the capacity of disabled sponsors to support their spouse.

In addition to disability living allowance the sponsor received an enhanced level of income support. This, by agreement of the parties, was incorporated into the calculation of the figure for adequate maintenance.

NM (disability discrimination) Iraq [2008] UKAIT 00026 was another case in which the sponsor was reliant on DLA. The decision did not refer to MK (Somalia), but it appears to be distinguishable on its facts in that in NM the sponsor seemed to be spending all his DLA. The tribunal held it was not discriminatory on grounds of disability to refuse entry clearance to his spouse, though the argument under the Disability Discrimination Act was not fully explored. Note that here the sponsor did not propose to support his spouse financially as his carer, but the tribunal noted it would have been open to her to support herself by finding employment.

AM (Ethiopia), SA (Somalia), MB (Pakistan), VS (Sri Lanka) and MI (Somalia) were joined in the Court of Appeal on the question of third party support (see below). In the course of the judgment, some doubt was cast on reliance on income support by disabled sponsors, but the effect of the case is not altogether clear.

In AM (Somalia) v ECO [2009] EWCA Civ 634 the Court of Appeal held that the application of the rule prohibiting reliance on public funds to disabled sponsors was not unlawful discrimination under Article 14 ECHR.

9.3.3.3 Third party support

The question of whether third party support is permitted for spouses and adult relatives has been addressed for the first time by the Court of Appeal in AM (Ethiopia), SA (Somalia), MB (Pakistan), VS (Sri Lanka), MI (Somalia) and another v Entry Clearance Officer [2008] EWCA Civ 1082. The court decided that third party support was not permissible for these groups, and confirmed it was not available for children, as held in MW (Liberia) [2007] EWCA Civ 1376. The appellants’ appeal was heard by the Supreme Court during the week of the 9th November 2009. Judgment should therefore be given shortly before Christmas or early in the New Year on the issues of sponsors relying upon third party support, and disability discrimination where a sponsor is less able to work through disability.

In AB (Third-party provision of accommodation) v ECO Islamabad [2008] UKAIT 00018 the tribunal held that accommodation could be provided by a third party. Paragraph 281(iv) of the immigration rules requires only that 'there will be' accommodation for spouses. It was unrealistic to expect a young couple always to finance this for themselves:

Access to accommodation in the United Kingdom is, as is well known, an expensive matter… It is part of the common experience of mankind that children, even adult children, continue to live with their parents or sometimes other relatives. (para 9)

TS (working holidaymaker; no third party support) India [2008] UKAIT 00024 is a useful decision to read on third party support as it explores the different ways in which maintenance is treated in different immigration rules. It predates AM in the Court of Appeal but does not conflict with it.
See also Court of Appeal Judgments in AM (Ethiopia) [2008] EWCA Civ 1082.
Last edited by vinny on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:00 am, edited 8 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tiredduck
Newly Registered

Post by tiredduck » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:53 am

Hi Vinny, thanks very much for replying.

I'm afriad I must admit that for a variety of reasons I struggle to get through this kind of thing. I shall have another few read throughs of the information tomorrow to see if I can get my head round it this time. Is there any chance you or anyone else could give me a simplified interpretation of its conclusions? I know it might sound a bit cheeky or lazy but all of this, especially legal language and the impenetrable style of government websites, is rather a long way outside my areas of expertise.

I shall see if reads any clearer tomorrow but if you or anyone else would be willing to help further clarify things it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

ginoT

Post by ginoT » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:58 am

don't worry Tiredduck - I don't get it either! it starts off well with
"The Court of Appeal held that the appellant COULD rely on disability living allowance paid to his spouse...". But then goes on to mention cases were appeals were rejected. I think it the conclusion is something like this:

If you plan to spend your DLA on your spouse (as a "a way of meeting [your] needs by use of the DLA") then your fine. But if you spend end up spending your way through the DLA on other/non-carer stuff then the application is going to be more tricky

Vinny, can you clarify?

AzimScot

Post by AzimScot » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:38 am

Hi Tiredduck,

We went through a similar issue with my brother being disabled on DLA and my sister in law not being educated in order to find work. Our visa got rejected on the grounds of maintainece by my brothers spouse, although my brother had sufficient funds from the DLA to support both parties. In the end our documentation was in doubt? and then the judge allowed the visa on the basis of human rights.

So, regardless of what happens if your married to someone and you have a marriage cert they cannot keep you apart.

tiredduck
Newly Registered

Post by tiredduck » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks very much for your reassurances and suggestions. If it's not too nosey can I enquire as to roughly how much those of you who've had to resort to appeals or lawyers have had to pay and how long it took?

Thanks

Pete

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:47 pm

The ruling essentially states that if you sponsor your spouse as a carer and you state, she will be helping you to meet you care needs, then the money you get from income support and DLA will be counted towards the maintenance requirement for your spouse.

In regards to support from third party, the ruling states that support should not exceed accommodation, and any offer of financial support from 3 party for a spousal visa will not be accepted.

The implication of this ruling on your case is this: if you say your wife will be providing you with care, then your benefit will be incorporated into maintenance requirement for her application, and her income from her savings could also be incorporated.

However you could use family sponsor for the accommodation requirement

I hope i make sense.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

DJGJ
Newly Registered

Post by DJGJ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi,

I thought i would tag on to this posting because i have a similar query. I've searched until i'm blue in the face without resolution for my particular issue. I spoke to UK Home Office, Peru Brit Embassy and nobody is 'trained' to deal with it!

I'm disabled (i suspect not as severely as the OP here), but the bottom line is i can't work due to illness. I claim ESA (originally Incapacity Benefit), but not DLA - i've just come back from Peru so am starting at square one benefit wise. I'm told that ESA does not count toward public funds, but Housing Benefit does. I'm currently living in a flat on my own - receiving HB because i have no choice. Is this going to count against me - can they really discriminate on my disability?

I need my wife to get her visa because, aside from anything else, the worry and everything is creating further health problems for me.

My wife fully intends to work once she gets here because she's a very hard working person and would never claim money she doesnt earn.

We've been together 3 years - married for just over 2 of those.

I read the 'rulings' from the statement above and the various interpretations but don't think they apply to me or are too complicated!

Thank you in advance for any advice or help.

gmbilal007
Newly Registered

DLA

Post by gmbilal007 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 pm

vinny wrote:
Textbook on Immigration and Asylum Law[/url] > [url=http://www.oup.com/uk/orc/bin/9780199238668/resources/updates/ch09/]Chapter 9 wrote:9.3.2.2 Disabled sponsor

When MK (Somalia) v Entry Clearance Officer was heard in the Court of Appeal the outcome was different ([2007] EWCA Civ 1521). The Court of Appeal held that the appellant could rely on disability living allowance paid to his spouse for the purpose of establishing that she would be adequately maintained without recourse to public funds. The sponsor proposed to use her DLA to support her husband to be her carer. This was a way of meeting her needs by use of the DLA, and a matter of her choice. This is the first Court of Appeal authority on this point, and changes the direction of case law on the capacity of disabled sponsors to support their spouse.

In addition to disability living allowance the sponsor received an enhanced level of income support. This, by agreement of the parties, was incorporated into the calculation of the figure for adequate maintenance.

NM (disability discrimination) Iraq [2008] UKAIT 00026 was another case in which the sponsor was reliant on DLA. The decision did not refer to MK (Somalia), but it appears to be distinguishable on its facts in that in NM the sponsor seemed to be spending all his DLA. The tribunal held it was not discriminatory on grounds of disability to refuse entry clearance to his spouse, though the argument under the Disability Discrimination Act was not fully explored. Note that here the sponsor did not propose to support his spouse financially as his carer, but the tribunal noted it would have been open to her to support herself by finding employment.

AM (Ethiopia), SA (Somalia), MB (Pakistan), VS (Sri Lanka) and MI (Somalia) were joined in the Court of Appeal on the question of third party support (see below). In the course of the judgment, some doubt was cast on reliance on income support by disabled sponsors, but the effect of the case is not altogether clear.

In AM (Somalia) v ECO [2009] EWCA Civ 634 the Court of Appeal held that the application of the rule prohibiting reliance on public funds to disabled sponsors was not unlawful discrimination under Article 14 ECHR.

9.3.3.3 Third party support

The question of whether third party support is permitted for spouses and adult relatives has been addressed for the first time by the Court of Appeal in AM (Ethiopia), SA (Somalia), MB (Pakistan), VS (Sri Lanka), MI (Somalia) and another v Entry Clearance Officer [2008] EWCA Civ 1082. The court decided that third party support was not permissible for these groups, and confirmed it was not available for children, as held in MW (Liberia) [2007] EWCA Civ 1376. The appellants’ appeal was heard by the Supreme Court during the week of the 9th November 2009. Judgment should therefore be given shortly before Christmas or early in the New Year on the issues of sponsors relying upon third party support, and disability discrimination where a sponsor is less able to work through disability.

In AB (Third-party provision of accommodation) v ECO Islamabad [2008] UKAIT 00018 the tribunal held that accommodation could be provided by a third party. Paragraph 281(iv) of the immigration rules requires only that 'there will be' accommodation for spouses. It was unrealistic to expect a young couple always to finance this for themselves:

Access to accommodation in the United Kingdom is, as is well known, an expensive matter… It is part of the common experience of mankind that children, even adult children, continue to live with their parents or sometimes other relatives. (para 9)

TS (working holidaymaker; no third party support) India [2008] UKAIT 00024 is a useful decision to read on third party support as it explores the different ways in which maintenance is treated in different immigration rules. It predates AM in the Court of Appeal but does not conflict with it.
See also Court of Appeal Judgments in AM (Ethiopia) [2008] EWCA Civ 1082.

blumango

Post by blumango » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:33 am

can mods please update this thread on the latest rules on sponsors reliant on dla and income support wishing to bring their spouses over.

are the above rulings still applicable in 2012?

any guidance/resources appreciated.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:39 am

as the law stands currently, MK Somalia [2007] EWCA Civ 1521 is the leading case on disabled sponsors and the use of DLA. However, each cas is different and it is not correct to assume that in all cases where the sponsor is in receipt of DLA that these funds can be used in the manner described in this case, or indeed that these funds will be sufficient.