ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German citizen wants to get Irish passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sumatra
Newly Registered

German citizen wants to get Irish passport

Post by Sumatra » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello,

I am wondering if someone has experience in applying for Irish citizenship if you are a EU member (in my case German).

I (unmarried) am living and working in Ireland for 7 1/2 years.
I have been also studying here and got my bachelor degree.

I heard, that I'd need 3 referral letters from the employer, from an academic person and a politician.

Is there anything else I have to consider? Any Experiences?

If there are useful links or if somebody else already posted my query or a similar one please let me know.

Thank you.

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:06 pm

I think you just need to meet all the requirements (ie, 5 years residency) and have documentation to back this up. You need 3 references on the application, but they are not letters, just names and contact details of 3 people who personally know you (and are not related to you or act for you - ie, not your solicitor) and are willing to sign off on being a reference for you.

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Here is the link to the form - http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%208 ... 009%29.pdf

you need to provide proof of address - tax docs, bills and bank statements covering the last 5 years. Good luck.

Sumatra
Newly Registered

Post by Sumatra » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks for the info.
Do you know how much it will cost and how long it might take to get an approval?

Thank you

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:05 pm

No fee on application, €950 (it think, check the inis website) only if successful, should take around 2 years.

myimmigrationboards

Post by myimmigrationboards » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:31 pm

do Germany allow dual citizenship?

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:03 pm

No idea sorry.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:41 am

myimmigrationboards wrote:do Germany allow dual citizenship?
As discussed in >>this thread<< Germany does allow dual citizenship, as long as the second nationality is an EU nationality (+Switzerland).

Outside EU is also possible, but read the other thread for details.

I´m 100% certain since I am German and later aquired Belgian citizenship, both countries know about my respective other citizenship and I never had a problem...

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 am

If you are German from Birth, it is ok to obtain another citizenship
e.g. a friends family the wife is German and husband is Australian.
their son has dual German/Australian citizenship no problem.

this is too strange...
ca.funke wrote:
  • If a woman marries a Turkish man, she is automatically granted Turkish nationality. (not vice versa!)
    • In German law, you automatically loose German nationality, if you "voluntarily" accept a nationality outside the EU+Switzerland
    • As a result, a German woman marrying a Turkish man looses German citizenship, but may still be in possession of her German passport...

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:07 am

acme4242 wrote:If you are German from Birth, it is ok to obtain another citizenship
e.g. a friends family the wife is German and husband is Australian.
their son has dual German/Australian citizenship no problem.
From the German perspective it´s OK to have both nationalities from birth (this covers your example).

NB: If another nationality is aquired after birth (EU and Switzerland excepted), the German nationality is lost, except if an explicit permission has been granted by the German government.

It´s all in the German "Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz" (StAG) = "Nationalitylaw"
Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz wrote:§ 25
(1) Ein Deutscher verliert seine Staatsangehörigkeit mit dem Erwerb einer ausländischen Staatsangehörigkeit, wenn dieser Erwerb auf seinen Antrag oder auf den Antrag des gesetzlichen Vertreters erfolgt, der Vertretene jedoch nur, wenn die Voraussetzungen vorliegen, unter denen nach § 19 die Entlassung beantragt werden könnte. Der Verlust nach Satz 1 tritt nicht ein, wenn ein Deutscher die Staatsangehörigkeit eines anderen Mitgliedstaates der Europäischen Union, der Schweiz oder eines Staates erwirbt, mit dem die Bundesrepublik Deutschland einen völkerrechtlichen Vertrag nach § 12 Abs. 3 abgeschlossen hat.
(2) Die Staatsangehörigkeit verliert nicht, wer vor dem Erwerb der ausländischen Staatsangehörigkeit auf seinen Antrag die schriftliche Genehmigung der zuständigen Behörde zur Beibehaltung seiner Staatsangehörigkeit erhalten hat. Hat ein Antragsteller seinen gewöhnlichen Aufenthalt im Ausland, ist die deutsche Auslandsvertretung zu hören. Bei der Entscheidung über einen Antrag nach Satz 1 sind die öffentlichen und privaten Belange abzuwägen. Bei einem Antragsteller, der seinen gewöhnlichen Aufenthalt im Ausland hat, ist insbesondere zu berücksichtigen, ob er fortbestehende Bindungen an Deutschland glaubhaft machen kann.
(3) (weggefallen)
I´ll just translate the parts I highlighted. The other parts may be important in specific cases but don´t change the overall idea:
Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz wrote:§ 25
(1) A German national looses his German nationality as soon as another nationality is aquired, as long as the aquisition occurred through his own application(...) This loss does not occur when a German citizen aquires the nationality of another memberstate of the European Union or Switzerland (...)
(2) The nationality is not lost if, before aquiring the foreign nationality, the applicant obtained written approval by the relevant authorities to retain his nationality.
Last edited by ca.funke on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:14 am

acme4242 wrote:this is too strange...
ca.funke wrote:
  • If a woman marries a Turkish man, she is automatically granted Turkish nationality. (not vice versa!)
    • In German law, you automatically loose German nationality, if you "voluntarily" accept a nationality outside the EU+Switzerland
    • As a result, a German woman marrying a Turkish man looses German citizenship, but may still be in possession of her German passport...
Turkish law seems to have changed lately, as such Turkish nationality is no longer automatically "forced" upon the women when marrying. (sorry, that was my mistake, I didnt´t know)

However, it´s still easy to obtain Turkish nationality after marrying.

Hence, the German consulate in Istanbul warns on its website that German nationality is at risk if you just proceed without obtaining the said permission:
German Conulate Istanbul wrote:Hinweis zur Staatsangehörigkeit

Eine Eheschließung ist nach dem deutschen Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht weder ein Erwerbs- noch ein Verlustgrund der deutschen Staatsangehörigkeit.

Das türkische Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht bestimmt hierzu in Art. 5 des Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetzes Nr. 403 folgendes: „Die Eheschließung mit einem türkischen Staatsangehörigen führt nicht automatisch zum Erwerb der türkischen Staatsangehörigkeit. Ausländer, die wegen der Eheschließung mit einem türkischen Staatsangehörigen die türkische Staatsangehörigkeit erwerben wollen, können, wenn sie mindestens drei Jahre verheiratet sind, tatsächlich zusammen leben und die Ehe fortdauert, im Inland (Türkei) bei den obersten Verwaltungsbehörden oder im Ausland bei den türkischen Konsulaten einen dahin gehenden Antrag stellen.“

Vorsicht! Grundsätzlich verliert ein Deutscher gem. § 25 Absatz 1 des deutschen Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetzes (StAG) automatisch seine deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit, wenn er auf Antrag eine fremde Staatsangehörigkeit - wie zum Beispiel die türkische - erwirbt.
myTranslation wrote:Attention! Generally a German national looses his nationality according to §25 of the German nationalitylaw when aquiring a foreign nationality -for example the Turkish one- through his own application.
Den Verlust der deutschen Staatsangehörigkeit können Sie nur verhindern, wenn Sie vor der Einbürgerung eine Beibehaltungsgenehmigung beantragt und erhalten haben. http://www.istanbul.diplo.de/beibehaltung

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Sun May 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Germany allows dual nationality in certain cases, one of them being when acquiring another EU nationality. I'm German by birth and acquired British nationality later, now I have both.
For this no prior permission was needed either.

Edit: Obviously this depends on the other country allowing dual nationality as well.
Last edited by andreachen on Mon May 02, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 am

andreachen wrote:Germany allows dual nationality in certain cases, one of them being when acquiring another EU nationality. I'm German by birth and acquired British nationality later, now I have both.
For this no prior permission was needed either.
The rule for naturalizing to become a German citizen is that you can keep your other citizenship if it is from "European Union member states that do not require Germans to renounce citizenship upon naturalization in that country." (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nat ... itizenship and I remember reading it elsewhere)

The UK does not require you to give up other citizenships when you naturalize. If you had naturalized to become an Austrian citizen, you would have normally lost your German citizenship.