ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

baby born in India - UK passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tribalboy

baby born in India - UK passport

Post by tribalboy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:30 am

Hi Guys,

My daughter is born in India and I have a British passport and my wife has Indefinite Leave to Remain. Is it possible to take the baby along with us to the UK without much hassle. What is the appropriate procedure, should I apply for a dependant visa for my daughter or is it possible to enlist her on my wifes passport as the baby is just over a month

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:56 am

If you are British otherwise than by descent when child was born, then child is automatically British (2(1)(a)) and may apply for a Consular Birth registration (optional) and British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tribalboy

Post by tribalboy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:49 pm

many thanks vinny, I have naturalised as a British Citizen and was under the impression that I would have to apply on the child's behalf once she was in the kingdom as the consular birth certificate isnt necessary. Regarding acquiring british nationality automatically can I apply for a British passport in India for her

Best Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:00 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

tribalboy

Post by tribalboy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Vinny,

Can you please tell me the procedure I need to follow to apply for my daughters passport. Do I make an application for a new passport to the Indian Consulate in Chennai or is it the one in Delhi. Where can I find the details

Many thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:03 pm

vinny wrote:Yes.
Click on above link for more information.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 am

Also please keep one thing in mind which is very important. Once you have obtained the British passport for you daughter, you will need to apply for an "exit permit" from Ministry for Home Affairs. Without this the border control in India won't let your daughter out of the country.

tribalboy

Post by tribalboy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:48 am

Many thanks for the replies. My baby was born in India and I am on a tourist visa valid for 6 months. The application procedure seems to require my passport also and I am wondering if I can get my visa extended somehow. I have my Indian passport surrender certificate with me, can someone give me some guidance on this

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:39 pm

For extending a visa, you will have to approach ministry of home affairs office. Once they approve the visa extension then you take that letter to FRRO (foreigners regional registeration office), who will stamp visa extension onto your passport. I know where these are in New Delhi. FRRO is usually located in the police headquarters, but not in every city. You should contact your city's police headquarters to find out where MHA and FRRO are.

tribalboy

Post by tribalboy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:44 am

Many thanks mrlookforward,

I have also gone through the FCO website's info regarding applying for a British passport for the baby and it seems that it would take upto 12 weeks.

Due to this I was also thinking of the possibility that I could get an Indian passport for her and get a visa if possible for the time and later acquire the British passport when in the UK. As the baby has a claim to automatic British nationality does it mean that she cannot get an Indian passport as India does not allow dual nationality. I am under the impression that since she is born in India and has a parent of Indian origin and Indian parent she should be able to get the Indian passport

Thanks in advance

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:28 am

Only If your wife has Indian Citizenship then your child can get an Indian passport. You lost your Indian citizenship the day you acquired British Citizenship. Needless to say you cannot pass a citizenship that you do not have.

tribalboy

Post by tribalboy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Is it more easier & faster to take that route and apply for the British passport while in the UK or is it more advisable to get the British passport while in India. What is the procedure for applying for a visa for my baby. Does she get a dependant visa, as my wife has ILR.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:55 pm

When did you naturalise?
What's the date of birth of your (born in India) daughter?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

tribalboy

Post by tribalboy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:37 pm

I naturalised in 2009 and my baby is just 2 months old

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 am

tribalboy wrote:I naturalised in 2009 and my baby is just 2 months old
vinny wrote:If you are British otherwise than by descent when child was born, then child is automatically British (2(1)(a)) and may apply for a Consular Birth registration (optional) and British passport.
So, if the final objective is "a British passport for daughter", best that you apply for one through the British High Commission in India.

Economical and less hassle (1 step as compared to at least 3 when opting for Indian passport - Indian passport, Right of Abode stamp, UK passport). The website states 12 weeks for issuance for first British passport, but IMHO, option 2 may also take as much or even more. Your choice!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!