ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Temporary Passport - any point whilst ILR being processed??

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

SETO25Oct2011
Newly Registered

Temporary Passport - any point whilst ILR being processed??

Post by SETO25Oct2011 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi All,

A friend's suggested that I try to get a temp passport from my embassy to travel while my ILR application is being processed.

Even if I manage get one (which I'm doubtful), can I get back into the UK? I don't think I can since there's no visa in a new passport plus my existing Tier 1 has expired but friend thinks because I have "intime" application my visa is still in effect... which is why I can still stay legally here....

Anyone know the answer??

Cheers,

thewolfman21

visa

Post by thewolfman21 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:31 pm

As long as your application was made before expiry of your visa - Its ok if it has expired whilst under process, But i do not see how can you enter in UK on duplicate passport.

SETO25Oct2011
Newly Registered

Re: visa

Post by SETO25Oct2011 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 pm

thewolfman21 wrote:As long as your application was made before expiry of your visa - Its ok if it has expired whilst under process, But i do not see how can you enter in UK on duplicate passport.
Quite but friend thinks, when you get back in, just let immigration check on their system that you have right to be here...

1) use Tier 1 approval letter to prove permission to be in the UK) and
2) ILR acknowledgement of application letter - shows application being processed and have right to stay...

Seems to make sense but if that can be done, why aren't a lot more people doing that...

tknayak

Re: visa

Post by tknayak » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:12 pm

If you want more trouble for you, this is a good option.

thewolfman21

not preferred

Post by thewolfman21 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Not at all a preferred option - If you have plans go for premium service!

SETO25Oct2011
Newly Registered

Re: not preferred

Post by SETO25Oct2011 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:46 pm

thewolfman21 wrote:Not at all a preferred option - If you have plans go for premium service!
unfortunately premium service no longer an option... postal app submitted Oct 2011, expedite letters sent, have also involved MP but no news yet...

Getting deflated cos I'm getting married overseas in 2 weeks - don't think I'll make it.

So temp passport was just one of the many ideas friends are throwing up... well meaning of course. But am I missing something really obvious? Why can't you get back on the temp passport?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:44 am

If you leave the UK whilst your application is being processed your application will be deemed to be withdrawn. You will not be able to re enter the UK without a visa/residence permit.

SETO25Oct2011
Newly Registered

Post by SETO25Oct2011 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 am

Greenie wrote:If you leave the UK whilst your application is being processed your application will be deemed to be withdrawn. You will not be able to re enter the UK without a visa/residence permit.
Ah...I see. Thanks Greenie. Would have never thought leaving mean withdrawning application. That's the obvious I was missing. No chance there's an exceptionn to that is there?

Guess there's no choice but sit and wait it out - well there is constantly calling UKBA. The wait is stressful... Just the prospect of fiancé and not to mention family & friends all going there and I am stuck here. Hoping for the best but reality very much sinking in....

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:29 am

Greenie wrote:If you leave the UK whilst your application is being processed your application will be deemed to be withdrawn. You will not be able to re enter the UK without a visa/residence permit.
Hi Greenie, what is the reference stating that leaving the UK is considered as withdrawing your application? It would be helpful to have the regulation/guidance wording.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:43 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am

34J

Withdrawn applications or claims for leave to remain in the United Kingdom

34J. Where a person whose application or claim for leave to remain is being considered requests the return of his passport for the purpose of travel outside the common travel area, the application for leave shall, provided it has not already been determined, be treated as withdrawn as soon as the passport is returned in response to that request

Section 3C(3)

(3)Leave extended by virtue of this section shall lapse if the applicant leaves the United Kingdom

SETO25Oct2011
Newly Registered

Post by SETO25Oct2011 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:57 am

Greenie wrote:Para 34J

Withdrawn applications or claims for leave to remain in the United Kingdom

34J. Where a person whose application or claim for leave to remain is being considered requests the return of his passport for the purpose of travel outside the common travel area, the application for leave shall, provided it has not already been determined, be treated as withdrawn as soon as the passport is returned in response to that request

Section 3C(3)

(3)Leave extended by virtue of this section shall lapse if the applicant leaves the United Kingdom
Thanks for the regulatory references and above is all very clear.

However theoretically - if you had an emergency / temporary / alternative passport, and you don't ask for the return on the passport lodged with the UK BA, would that mean that 34J won't apply and your application still continues.. And if yes, does that mean there's a chance they can still grant/ approve your ILR?

So UK BA - Page 47 of 59 Guidance – Specified application forms and procedures – version 3.0 Valid from 15 December 2011

Withdrawn applications

Background
This page tells you when an application made on a specified form is considered to be withdrawn and the action you must take.

If a person who has made an application requests that their passport is returned so they can travel outside the common travel area (CTA) before a decision is made on their application, you must treat the application for leave to remain as withdrawn. The power to withdraw the application in these circumstances comes from paragraph 34J of the Immigration Rules.
You must ask the person to confirm their request by letter. If the request is urgent, you can return the passport if you receive a fax or email. You must record the details in the case notes on CID. You must treat the application as withdrawn regardless of whether or not the applicant subsequently travels. You must not refund the specified fee and the applicant has no right of appeal against the withdrawal. This is because there will not have been a decision to refuse to vary leave.

You must not withdraw an application if the person:
• travels outside the CTA on another passport, an emergency travel document or illegally, unless they also request the return of their passport for travel outside the CTA, or

• requests the return of their passport for purposes other than travel. For example to open a bank account, take the Life in The UK Test or apply for an identity document not related to travelling outside the CTA.

You can withdraw an application, outside of paragraph 34J of the rules, if the applicant makes a clear, unambiguous request for consideration of their application to be stopped. If the request is ambiguous, you must confirm the withdrawal request with the applicant. You must only accept this if the request is in writing and it is clear and unambiguous.

This was just the result of a google search. I am clearly not an expert. And I don't know how this document fits into the laws and rules. And there's probably something else that says leaving the country is factored into your application - (I mean surely leaving the country illegally will be considered in your application).

And there's still the 3C issue where leave lapses if you leave the country.. But what if you don't rely on this (eg stay out of the country until the application is decided)?

SO if leaving the country does not withdraw your application, do they still need to decide on the merits of your application? And if so, does leaving the country legally on another passport or emergency travel document impact on the merits of your application?

Just asking since its an interesting question... again all theoretical. Still waiting for my ILR however frustrating that is for the moment... but hey I have time to kill now.
:)

IsraGuest
Newly Registered

Any responses?

Post by IsraGuest » Mon May 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Actually, I agree with the last poster. Does anybody think differently?

ILR2013
Newly Registered

Post by ILR2013 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi all,

I've just created an account on this site to add my story as I had been trawling all these forums trying to find a solution to my travel dilemma.

My Set (O) ILR postal application has been with the Home Office since June 2012 and is still currently being processed. I don't have family in the UK and am currently only here for work so when Christmas and New Years came along I made the decision to fly to visit the family.

I had decided to take the temporary passport route after reading that the ILR application is still technically valid as I was not requesting the return of my passport held with the application (also the passport would not have made it back to me in time as it takes up to 20 working days to withdraw the application ....even in an emergency?!)

My Embassy issued a temporary passport and the only problem I had was returning into the UK. I took all documents regarding my ILR application including receipts for the Biometric tests and the letter stating the Home Office had received my Set (O) application. I stated my case when the immigration officer (IO) asked what my purpose was in the UK as my passport was obviously pretty empty with no UK Visa, I informed the IO immediately I was here for work (no point in digging a hole and lying to the guy). After showing the documents I had to hand he left with my passport (a very long and worrying 30mins) to confirm with a supervisor and also check on a database that confirms the status of Home Office applications.

I arrived just before midnight into Gatwick so the queue was non-existent which was lucky as i'm not sure the IO would have much patience if there was a queue in excess off 200+

The IO said they could see the application was in process (without contacting the Home Office directly.... something I was worried about as a few questions could be asked and maybe cancel my application) and stamped my temporary Passport with a 6 month Visa which allows me to work and travel with no recourse to public funds.

I have a pretty good job here in the UK and a mortgage to boot so it was a gamble in hindsight and it would have made life very difficult if I was denied entry into the UK.

I am still waiting on my original passport (which has been temporary invalidated by the embassy). Once the original passport is returned my temporary passport will be destroyed and the original re-validated and ready for travel by the embassy. They also mentioned they have had a few requests for this as the Home Office is known to have a significant delay in processing times.

Hope that helps anyone. Just thought I would mention that the temporary passport option can work.

Thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:55 pm

What you did is risky.

If the caseworker dealing with your case would realise you left the country, he can refuse your application. The fact that you were allowed to enter the country by the IO, doesn't mean that the HO have approved your actions.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 am

How did you manage to get on a plane to go to Gatwick? Are you a non-visa national?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Noor91
Newly Registered

Post by Noor91 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Dear Helpers:

I am in big trouble. i need ur help. i been to liverpool on 07-01-2013 for my tier 1 general Extension application. when they asked me for passport, i realized that passport is not with me although I and my friends checked the all file. I come back to home , may be I forgot my passport at home. I checked at home but could not find it unfortunately. MY visa is going to expire on 15-01-2013. they were very helpful they gave me new app for 11-01-2013. is there any possibility that would they consider my app without passport? , meanwhile i can arrange new passport....................plz help

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 am

Noor91 wrote:Dear Helpers:

I am in big trouble. i need ur help. i been to liverpool on 07-01-2013 for my tier 1 general Extension application. when they asked me for passport, i realized that passport is not with me although I and my friends checked the all file. I come back to home , may be I forgot my passport at home. I checked at home but could not find it unfortunately. MY visa is going to expire on 15-01-2013. they were very helpful they gave me new app for 11-01-2013. is there any possibility that would they consider my app without passport? , meanwhile i can arrange new passport....................plz help
Please continue in your own thread.

ILR2013
Newly Registered

Post by ILR2013 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Jambo: "What you did is risky.

If the caseworker dealing with your case would realise you left the country, he can refuse your application. The fact that you were allowed to enter the country by the IO, doesn't mean that the HO have approved your actions."

Hi, yes I did consider all the risks and as I had not seen my family in more than a year I had decided the risk was worth taking, even if it meant refusal to enter the UK. I was prepared to pack it all in. I've paid enough for Visas and extensions over the last five years to the Home Office and basically have become fed up with the system.

I am switching from a Tier 1 to the ILR but still waiting on the approval.

I'll keep you posted on if my application is approved or not.
Last edited by ILR2013 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ILR2013
Newly Registered

Post by ILR2013 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Vinny: "How did you manage to get on a plane to go to Gatwick? Are you a non-visa national?"

Hi, leaving the UK on a temporary passport was fine. Before boarding the plane the only check through immigration was for the entry stamp from arrival. Arriving at Gatwick without a valid Visa was the issue.

I am also a Visa National and am transferring from a Tier 1 to ILR.... hopefully.

Thanks.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 am

ILR2013 wrote:Vinny: "How did you manage to get on a plane to go to Gatwick? Are you a non-visa national?"

Hi, leaving the UK on a temporary passport was fine. Before boarding the plane the only check through immigration was for the entry stamp from arrival. Arriving at Gatwick without a valid Visa was the issue.
I think what vinny was questioning is, how you managed to board a plane to return to the UK, as airlines are by law required to check that passengers have the right to enter the country they are travelling to. And not how you managed to board a plane to leave the UK.

ILR2013
Newly Registered

Post by ILR2013 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Ah, sorry I wasn't quite clear on the previous message.

Before I boarded the plane to Gatwick, the immigration for the country I left only checked for my arrival/entry stamp. They did not check my Visa status for the UK or destination country upon depature. I have never had my passport checked for a UK Visa when travelling/departing on a flight bound for the UK.

I think the only time my passport has been checked for entry clearance into the destination country is before boarding the eurostar.

Fedup2013
Newly Registered

Reply to ILR2013

Post by Fedup2013 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:26 pm

To ILR2013

How many times have you been able to travel on that temporary passport?
And have you traveled again after your 6 months visa stamp expired?

I have done the same thing you have, and Immigration at gatwick let me back into the country but they gave me a warning and also gave me a one month visa stamp instead of 6 months.

I am not sure if I can reuse the passport again after the 1 month stamp expires? Do I need to re-apply for a new temp passport?