ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Valid complaint about the "Life in UK test"?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Valid complaint?

Yes and refund acceptable
50%
Yes but not refund-level
No votes
No
50%

Total votes: 6

royh

Valid complaint about the "Life in UK test"?

Post by royh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Not sure if this is a full-on complaint or a nit-pick but I was "early" by 4 minutes before the appointment time, but was 1 minute inside the 5 minute buffer. Appointment was at 10, got there at 9:56 now I'm out nearly £60 (travel+test fee).

Searching the entire http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ website it has no mention of being whithin this 5 minute buffer -before- the scheduled test is necessary or else you cannot take the test. The only thing I can find is:

"
If you arrive late for your test, or do not attend for your test, the test fee will not be refunded.
"

This information about that 5 minute requirement before appointed time only appears in small print on the invoice/notification emails. I feel this information should be more readily available and at least bolded or emphasized somewhat. When I get confirmation emails I have been conditioned to simply accept them at face value as the real meat and potatoes has been established on the sign up procedure and FAQ. Email text:

"
You won't be able to take the test if you arrive less than 5 minutes before the start time. You'll then have to book and pay for another test.
"

I think this is really crafty as "human error/assumption" plays a part. I was 4 minutes "early" from the scheduled time. The man asked me what I was at the test center for, put the time 9:56 on a piece of paper and asked me to put my name on it. Then proceeded to tell me I cannot take the test because I needed to be 5 minutes there beforehand.

I looked at the complaints procedure and it's a form you fill in and send by post, but it's narrowed down to just about getting a refund. I just want them to make this information available on the website, although a refund would be nice. I was technically late according to their rules but this information which cause me to be there only 4 minutes early was only in the notification/update email which is easily brushed off as "what I already knew scouring all the details in the sign up process and FAQ".

When I get notificaiton/invoice email I don't expect it to contain important information that is -not- available on the website. So is this a valid complaint you think?

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:43 pm

I am sorry but i disagree with you

1- the confirmation email you receive after the booking will state clearly that you need to be at least 10 mins prior to your test time otherwise you will not be submitted and your fees will be lost.
2- a day or 2 before your test, you received a reminder by email about your test and it stated clearly that you need to be 10 mins at least before the start of your test.

i know you are probably frustrated but they need those 10 mins to check your details, your ID and tell you what you need to know. every one is seated on the same time on specific computers logged under you name and ID number then you start your test.
i know accidents happen and delays are possible but you know the score with the Home Office so hopefully next time you make it on time and you pass it straight.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Very unfortunate for this to happen to you. To be honest I didn't read this 5 minute rule until now. I only read arrive 15 min before time.

This is the header of my email confirmation

On Friday 10 February 2012, 11:30am

Please arrive 15 minutes before the start of your test.

You won't be able to take the test if you arrive less than 5 minutes before the start time. You'll then have to book and pay for another test.

The email confirmation also contains the id and other docs you will need to take the test.

With such important test to take, they expect you to read the confirmation email where other instructions are given.

It depends on the staff mood there. Were everyone else taking the test with you assigned a computer and ready to start?

I remember one person came after we were all sat at our assigned computer, still he was allowed.

royh

Post by royh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:53 am

SouthWest I'm just saying this information should be in the FAQ at least or somewhere on the website and not just in the confirm emails. The emails I assume has information I already know about.
neoseal wrote:With such important test to take, they expect you to read the confirmation email where other instructions are given.
I agree somewhat, what I didn't expect was it to have additional information that could jeopardize taking the test after scouring the FAQ and website in general for details before booking. On confirmation emails and I often don't expect what I consider "extra" information and important caveats that aren't elsewhere prior to signing up and paying.
neoseal wrote:It depends on the staff mood there. Were everyone else taking the test with you assigned a computer and ready to start?

I remember one person came after we were all sat at our assigned computer, still he was allowed.
Ah, that's a shame the man wasn't as kind in my situation. Thanks for the reply nonetheless.

sikiliza69

Post by sikiliza69 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:55 am

I see where your coming from and although most people would not agree, i think it is important for transparency sake that details like that be highlighted boldly.

However, i don't think that UKBA unlike banks and other service companies omitted it deliberately to fleece people of the £50.

It is unfortunate that arrived late by one minute and I'm assuming it was obviously due to unforeseen circumstances but it would be very difficult to argue that it is a valid complaint since it's in the email and the website Help section.
http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice. ... 60.html#q1

If i was you i would bite the bullet on this occasion and take it as a lesson learned...it's a long enduring process, try to focus ahead.

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:13 am

I think as long as you're early at the center before start of the test, they should have let you in. You might start test late leaving you less than 45 mins. But if you are ready to take that risk, then I think should be fine.

Being there before start of test rules out any possibility of cheating.. other point I can see them banning is due to disturbance to other candidates, but when they sign & check you ID at your terminal isn't it similar?

I vote in favor of valid complaint.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:59 am

Royh,

Where did the centre staff get the time from.
Did they try to enter your details in the system and then system flagged off the 5 min time limit? OR
They just looked at their wall clock or wrist watch and decided?

royh

Post by royh » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:31 pm

thx for the replies everyone. Passed the test today, I went 45 minutes early before the scheduled start time, but they started checking ID's half an hour before the official start of the test.

Irrelevant info:

The place I went to (they're all different) was some sort of test center but looked like an upmarket internet cafe (as opposed to some shack-level thing you might come across). They do other stuff there like checking C.V's and other tests similar to life in UK. I'm guessing they take about 20-30% of the £50 fee.

The ID check was a passport and proof of address in the form of a bank statement or utility bill. I took my credit card statement and a letter from the Home Office too. Cheeky clerk also cross referenced the HO reference number too, but the info was right in front of her so not really something I can get annoyed about. :p Mobiles had to be completely turned off - if they rang you failed, if you communicated to anyone you failed etc. They didn't make the environment comfortable at all for ppl with nervous dispositions, I saw an elderly Chinese lady who seemed very agitated and was warned not to communicate with fellow test-takers, since she seemed to be seeking some comfort beforehand lol.

For people looking to take it, don't underestimate the test. It's hard in the sense that the information is spread throughout the entire book so you can still get many wrong if you don't study everything. I recommend the book with the practice test and answers. Some questions are pretty tricky and even if you skimmed the correct info the multiple choice will have very similar troll-level answers. Also the most important sectioned as far as I gleamed from studying and the test is the history (medieval ages, wars and Victorian age) and the government section (Parliament/Scotland/Ireland/Voting etc), but again everything should be studied. Expect some curveballs about some random poet, cyclists and who invented something.

About 6 ppl finished before me (under 15 minutes). 2-3 ppl failed, I have no idea about their background though so can't say whether they're English is up to scratch or studied.

I do not like the lack of feedback on test performance (they just say you passed). I like to know such info but I can see how ppl would correlate the info into a forum thread and start making some stats, I guess the government doesn't want that. Someone finished the test in about 7 minutes and passed. I was kinda jealous, although I might be over-estimating the time because I think you could skip the practice test and click on the "start test" straight away. There was a practice test option with 4 questions, I got them all right. . . but I more or less guessed 2 of them (had a vague idea but nothing concrete). About the person who finished early, yea I was a bit angry at them, I'm just like that. :wink:

neoseal wrote:Royh,

Where did the centre staff get the time from.
Did they try to enter your details in the system and then system flagged off the 5 min time limit? OR
They just looked at their wall clock or wrist watch and decided?
I have no idea if the computer screen in front of the clerk held that sort of information, I wasn't paying attention if he typed anything in or not so can't say either way. I still think they should have let me in because it's 45 minutes and I don't think disturbing the ppl would be an issue since the ID check time I took today took about 4 minutes max prior to the test. So I don't think I would've made a big fuss.

Even though I passed the test today I felt absolutely no joy because they didn't let me in before plus money lost. Just mild relief this bit was over, still have to get stuff in order for the naturalization thing since I have to get the referee and all that, plus I have gaps when I wasn't working, but not doing anything else for over 6 months so basically have to prove a negative when they ask for proof I haven't left the country. . .

but that's for another thread.