ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT - Victim of a Scam - call pretending to be from UKBA

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

elvampiro

URGENT - Victim of a Scam - call pretending to be from UKBA

Post by elvampiro » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:13 am

My wife and I are currently in the process of an extension, done the biometrics a month ago and waiting now.

A few minutes ago wife got a call from a Manchester number 0161 408 1167.
A man spoke, claiming to be from UKBA.
He already knew the name and the phone number and that application was in progress.

'For confirmation' he took all the details - DOB, address, date came in, etc.
Sounded like a genuine call - he said the dependant application is on hold because when the dependent came she entered wrong DOB on arrival card that doesnt match.

Also, he said our CISA number is missing - Citizenship Immigration Services Alien number - which supposed should have been sent by the British High Commision in India.

THey said by paying a penalty of £213 + £478 it can be fixed and we need to transfer the money to a Western Union account. THats when I realised its a scam.

I am now reporting this to UKBA, just posting here so others are aware.
I guess the scamsters may also be reading this forum - you will be behind the bars soon.

Dont know where they get the info like the name, number, fact that there is an application in progress. May be an insider in UKBA/HO? At the post office where I did the biometrics?

Wherever you are, the police will come after you.

elvampiro

Post by elvampiro » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 am

Anyone else experienced something like this?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:39 am

alexandra35
Newly Registered

Post by alexandra35 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:55 am

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I appreciate that you took time to share this warning so that this doesn't happen to anybody else. I hope that this issue with the scammer is resolved soon.

alexandra35
Newly Registered

Post by alexandra35 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:56 am

And I think it's also important that you report the phone number to Callercenter and the FTC in an attempt to shut the scam down.

bhaku

Re: URGENT - Victim of a Scam - call pretending to be from U

Post by bhaku » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:26 pm

elvampiro wrote:My wife and I are currently in the process of an extension, done the biometrics a month ago and waiting now.

A few minutes ago wife got a call from a Manchester number 0161 408 1167.
A man spoke, claiming to be from UKBA.
He already knew the name and the phone number and that application was in progress.

'For confirmation' he took all the details - DOB, address, date came in, etc.
Sounded like a genuine call - he said the dependant application is on hold because when the dependent came she entered wrong DOB on arrival card that doesnt match.

Also, he said our CISA number is missing - Citizenship Immigration Services Alien number - which supposed should have been sent by the British High Commision in India.

THey said by paying a penalty of £213 + £478 it can be fixed and we need to transfer the money to a Western Union account. THats when I realised its a scam.

I am now reporting this to UKBA, just posting here so others are aware.
I guess the scamsters may also be reading this forum - you will be behind the bars soon.

Dont know where they get the info like the name, number, fact that there is an application in progress. May be an insider in UKBA/HO? At the post office where I did the biometrics?

Wherever you are, the police will come after you.
Hello to all,

Today I had same experience as one person called me from home office.
His name was James Thomson and said the same story of CISA number.

He got my all information of my visa process. He asked me to pay £342 including penalty to get CISA no and provided me temp CISA no too.

He said call me again on monday and I will provide you your perm CISA no.

And also said He will send my BRP and all visa documents from monday,

I realised that this one is scam but why this ppl are after us.

why they want easy money while we are working hard and paying all our tax and handling all the stress in the UK.

not happy. I am going to complain to police soon.

Bhaku

vishu.gautam
Newly Registered

Similar Call to me.

Post by vishu.gautam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 pm

I received a call from an unknown number on my mobile phone, claiming to be from UKBA.

The person on the other end of the call was Mr. Wilson Jones, he explained me about some changes in the immigration rules as of 13 Dec 2012 which require me to obtain CISA number by visiting British High Commission, New Delhi in India. He seemed to have all the details of my residence in UK including my date of birth etc..

Since I am in UK, he transferred the call to a solicitor named Peter who demanded money to process my application.

They also claimed that UKBA sent me a letter at my residence to explain the matter. I haven't recieved any address so far.

I have reported the incident on the https://report-ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

And maybe try to report this incidence to Police also.

I wonder how and from where did they recieve my contact details. I haven't applied for any visa extension or anything like this recently.

I recieved the call from this number 01253 968057 extn:200

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Please continue in existing Sticky thread.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.