ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

leave UK after AN-submission

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bourou
Newly Registered

leave UK after AN-submission

Post by bourou » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:34 pm

I am an EEA citizen and meet all requirements for naturalisation. I plan to submit my AN form within the next couple of days, but have a question I hope this forum can help me with.

I must update Home Office of all relevant changes regarding my application, that much is obvious. Does this also include absences from the UK, though?
In autumn I plan to visit the continent for two weeks or so. Even then I will be well within the 450/90 day limits, so no problems on that front. Do I need to include that planned visit in my AN-form and/or do I have to bring it to the attention of Home Office afterwards?

I couldn't find any clarification in the guide, nor in the booklet, nor on their webpage. Any references to relevant Home Office materials would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: leave UK after AN-submission

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:39 pm

bourou wrote:I couldn't find any clarification in the guide, nor in the booklet, nor on their webpage. Any references to relevant Home Office materials would be much appreciated. Cheers!
You should have started looking here - Q2: Can I travel after applying for naturalisation? in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.

bourou
Newly Registered

Post by bourou » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks, but that FAQ only seems to apply for NCS applications, or do I read it wrong?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 pm

For most people, if you don't apply via NCS, you can't travel as the HO would hold your passport...

The 450/90 days apply to the 5 years before the application is received. There is no problem travelling after. That's why you won't find any guidance on this issue as this is not an issue.

bourou
Newly Registered

Post by bourou » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Jambo wrote:For most people, if you don't apply via NCS, you can't travel as the HO would hold your passport...

The 450/90 days apply to the 5 years before the application is received. There is no problem travelling after. That's why you won't find any guidance on this issue as this is not an issue.
That is no problem, I have both a passport and a national id-card (I usually travel with the latter). Hence I can still travel freely even without using the NCS (and hence, that FAQ doesn't really apply to my situation). In any case, many thanks for the quick and helpful response. Great to know. :)

bourou
Newly Registered

Post by bourou » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 am

Oh, and two other (related) question, if I may:

I just would like to confirm one thing: The "date of application" is the day that the package (form AN + assorted paperwork) physically arrives in Liverpool. It is not the date the Home Office acknowledges my application. Is that correct? In other words, when I send my application with signed-for delivery and the Royal Mail tracking shows me that the parcel has arrived at its destination, I am good to go?

Do the receipts of acknowledgment come per e-mail or traditional mail?

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:19 pm

bourou wrote:Oh, and two other (related) question, if I may:

I just would like to confirm one thing: The "date of application" is the day that the package (form AN + assorted paperwork) physically arrives in Liverpool. It is not the date the Home Office acknowledges my application. Is that correct?
If postal application, its the date you physicall send the package by Royal Mail i.e. the date you post the application.
In other words, when I send my application with signed-for delivery and the Royal Mail tracking shows me that the parcel has arrived at its destination, I am good to go?

difficult to answer this, as long as the payment goes through it should all be fine, if not then this would delay the application.
Do the receipts of acknowledgment come per e-mail or traditional mail?

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm

bobobo wrote:If postal application, its the date you physicall send the package by Royal Mail i.e. the date you post the application.
I have to disagree on that: According to the guide AN it is "the date your form is received by the Home Office or the local British government representative (*) as shown above. It is not the date on which you send it." I do not know if the mail receipt or the HO acknowledgment of receipt is the effective date, though.

(*) That particular part has actually changed 16 July 2012 and applicants outside the UK must now send their application to the UK office as well.

bourou
Newly Registered

Post by bourou » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote: I do not know if the mail receipt or the HO acknowledgment of receipt is the effective date, though.
Anyone, please?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:54 pm

You should be physically in the UK the day the HO recieves your application i.e. royalmail showed it was recieved. After that you are free to go. Letter from HO are sent by post not email so better have someone going through your mail in case the HO would have questions related to your application and/or you receive your approval (you then have 3 months to attend the citizenship ceremony).

bourou
Newly Registered

Post by bourou » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you!