ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel problem

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Last_one_standing
Newly Registered

Travel problem

Post by Last_one_standing » Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 pm

I am a British citizen.My wife has recently been naturalised and was in the process of applying for her British passport.Unfortunately, inbetween her passport application, her mother passed away and had to travel for the funeral using her home country passport.The problem is we had laminated her ILR document and the airline won't accept that document.The facts are therefore in short:
1. Wife has British citizenship
2. Travelled on old passport to attend mother's funeral
3. Original ILR document laminated (which is causing all the problem)
4.Have phoned and been to UKBA offices and noone seem to know what/how to deal with her situation.

Can anyone advise on how I can help/advise my wife so she can come to her family.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 am

I was going to say she has little option other than to apply for a Returning Resident Visa.

However, on second thoughts if she has already acquired British citizenship, she no longer has "Indefinite Leave to Remain", she does not require any form of Leave to Remain as she now has Right of Abode in the UK. Therefore if she applied for ILR in her foreign passport, the ECO would be correct in declining to grant this.

It seems to me that she should approach the British Consulate with whatever evidence she has of her naturalisation and ask them, as a British Citizen, what they can do for her, or what further proof they need. It would seem appropriate for them to issue an Emergency Passport for one-way travel to the UK. Convincing them, however, may take some doing.

Last_one_standing
Newly Registered

Post by Last_one_standing » Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks Rusty for your advises.The wife managed to get an ETD from British Embassy using her naturalisation certificate and is now back in UK. She is now going for her British passport interview.

Advise to all other members-----NEVER LAMINATE DOCUMENTS.I have found out it creates more problems when it comes to to verifying them.

Good luck to all.