ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

new English requirement for Indefinite leave to remain

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

binhn8
Newly Registered

new English requirement for Indefinite leave to remain

Post by binhn8 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:43 am

Hi all,
I hope this help. I got the email from UKBA about the new English requirement for ILR in my case which I have passed IELTS above B1 so I don't need to re-take the test. But I will need bring the old certificate with me.
----------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the English language element of the new KOLL requirement. I can confirm that anyone who has an English language qualification at B1 level or above, will not be required to take another one.

The SET (O) form requires the applicant to tick the ‘Life in the UK test pass’ and one of the boxes relating to the English language element of the KOLL requirement to indicate that they meet this requirement.

Where an applicant in an earlier immigration application, submitted evidence of an English language qualification at level B1 (CEFR), that appears on the SELT list in Appendix O of the Immigration Rules, http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf, they can still rely upon this as evidence for their settlement application, and should tick the box ‘English language speaking and listening qualification’. This applies even where the qualification has since expired. They will not be required to take another English language test.

I trust this answers your question.

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Mind_The_Gap

Re: new English requirement for Indefinite leave to remain

Post by Mind_The_Gap » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:16 pm

binhn8 wrote:Hi all,
I hope this help. I got the email from UKBA about the new English requirement for ILR in my case which I have passed IELTS above B1 so I don't need to re-take the test. But I will need bring the old certificate with me.
Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the English language element of the new KOLL requirement. I can confirm that anyone who has an English language qualification at B1 level or above, will not be required to take another one.

The SET (O) form requires the applicant to tick the ‘Life in the UK test pass’ and one of the boxes relating to the English language element of the KOLL requirement to indicate that they meet this requirement.

Where an applicant in an earlier immigration application, submitted evidence of an English language qualification at level B1 (CEFR), that appears on the SELT list in Appendix O of the Immigration Rules, http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf, they can still rely upon this as evidence for their settlement application, and should tick the box ‘English language speaking and listening qualification’. This applies even where the qualification has since expired. They will not be required to take another English language test.

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office
Thank you for sharing this - very helpful indeed!

thomas82
Newly Registered

Post by thomas82 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:37 pm

binhn8 wrote:Hi all,
Dear Sir

Ann

Could you please provide me with the email address you used to contact the Home office?

binhn8
Newly Registered

Post by binhn8 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:40 pm

SettlementOpsPolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Home Office Croydon office at 0870 606 7766

I phoned twice, the answer are the same. Email took around 4 or 5 days.

Batasha

Post by Batasha » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I have finished my IELTS exam on December 2006 and the results were Listening:7.5 , Reading:5.5, writing:6 and speaking:7 . However, The certificate was valid for 2 years only and it expired.

I can't find anything on the certificate to show its level, i mean A1 or B1.....etc

How to identify the level in IELTS certificate?

AcrossBorders

Post by AcrossBorders » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Batasha

You can have a look at this chart to see the different levels, looks abit confusing to me though! As some overlap, PET, KET etc

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/images/ ... iagram.pdf

Batasha

Post by Batasha » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:13 am

AcrossBorders wrote:Batasha

You can have a look at this chart to see the different levels, looks abit confusing to me though! As some overlap, PET, KET etc

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/images/ ... iagram.pdf
Thanks AcrossBorders,

My overall score in IELTS was 6.5 which is in high level if B2. So, I think I am fine since they required B1 or above. but the question is do you think they will accept expired IELTS as it was valid for 2 years from 2006.

Thanks

binhn8
Newly Registered

Post by binhn8 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Batasha,
If you read my first post again, you will find the answer.

Batasha

Post by Batasha » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:41 pm

binhn8 wrote:Batasha,
I agree with your post binhn8 but I just need to know if someone applied using expired IELTS and It has been approved. As you know , there is miss communication between the people who answered any esquires and staff at PEO. To make you aware I rang the Council to check about this and they rang the HO to check for me and the answer was they will not accept expired ILETS certificate.

When do you apply for your settlement?

Thanks

intelinside
Pakistan

Post by intelinside » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:26 pm

I got my ILR couple of days back, on 7th Nov 2013 and I used my expired IELTS (7.5 band). I did my IELTS back in 2008.

But I also provided UKNARIC letter from 2008 stating that my BCS degree was equivalent to UK's BCS degree.

My whole appointment lasted for 90min at Croydon and nothing additional was asked.

You may also want to read this
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

I hope this helps.
Batasha wrote:
I agree with your post binhn8 but I just need to know if someone applied using expired IELTS and It has been approved. As you know , there is miss communication between the people who answered any esquires and staff at PEO. To make you aware I rang the Council to check about this and they rang the HO to check for me and the answer was they will not accept expired ILETS certificate.

Thanks

thomas82
Newly Registered

Post by thomas82 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi guys just got a reply from the HOME OFFICE regarding my query about expired IELTS for my wife

My Query :

Dear Sir/Madam

My wife was granted her spouse visa using the FLR(M) form on February 23 2012 at Liverpool.While she applied for the Visa she had to submit evidence of an English language qualification and hence produced an IELTS certificate with a score of 7.5 equivalent to C1 Level. She passed the IELTS test in August 2011. And since an IELTS certificate has only got validity of 2 years , her certificate has expired now.

She is going to apply for settlement using the SET(M) form in January 2014 and as per English language element of the new KOLL requirement, she will have to submit evidence of her knowledge in English. Will her existing IELTS certificate be sufficient? If it is sufficient what option do we tick for "And one of the following language qualifications:" on page 14 of SET(M)?

I would really appreciate if you could advice me with some information.

Thank You

Reply from HOME OFFICE:

Dear Mr Thomas

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for settlement and citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date.

Evidence that the applicant has achieved this qualification should be submitted with their application for settlement. When completing the Form SET(M) applicants should tick the box at section 5.2 which states that you have an English language speaking and listening qualification.

Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards

Mrs C Richards

Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit

Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office

Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.

Hope this reply clears some confusion..

ykumar1680
Newly Registered

Post by ykumar1680 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 am

intelinside wrote:I got my ILR couple of days back, on 7th Nov 2013 and I used my expired IELTS (7.5 band). I did my IELTS back in 2008.

But I also provided UKNARIC letter from 2008 stating that my BCS degree was equivalent to UK's BCS degree.

My whole appointment lasted for 90min at Croydon and nothing additional was asked.

You may also want to read this
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

I hope this helps.

Batasha wrote:

Thanks

hi
I do not have UKNARIC letter from 2008 stating that my B Com degree was equivalent to UK's B Com degree.
but this is PB calculater

pls advise

binhn8
Newly Registered

Post by binhn8 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi ykumar1680,
I just got ILR with my expired IELTS.

Cheers,

NORTS

Post by NORTS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:42 pm

binhn8 wrote:Hi ykumar1680,
I just got ILR with my expired IELTS.

Cheers,
Thanks for sharing, very useful information!

Joshua221
Newly Registered

Post by Joshua221 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi I have the same question here do we need to IELTS exam again?

any suggestion guys????

Still.Waiting

Post by Still.Waiting » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi guys

any changes on above in late 2014?

I am about to apply for my ILR is it still advisable to apply with an expired ILETS?

Many thanks,