ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what stamp at the airport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aureliebg
Newly Registered

what stamp at the airport

Post by aureliebg » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I posted a couple months ago looking at options for my non EU husband. Thanks again for all your answers then!

We now decided to move to Dublin next week. The situation is the following:

EU spouse: French
non EU spouse : Israeli
both academics

married since February 2004 in Israel.
applied for residence card in Paris November 12 2007 and apparently will receive it February 8 2008.

I am looking for employment right now but don't want to wait until then to apply for EU 1.

Our strategy is to start the process of EU1 before we receive the residence card in France and send it later on to be filed with the application.

Our question: what do we say at the immigration at the airport? What stamp do we need? Any special visa or stamp needed before applying? Knowing that Israeli citizens can automatically get a 3 months tourist visa.

microlab

Post by microlab » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:16 pm

Knowing that Israeli citizens can automatically get a 3 months tourist visa.
I think thats the only visa you can get.
All other stamps/visas are at DOJ/GNIB.

aureliebg
Newly Registered

Post by aureliebg » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:23 pm

I think thats the only visa you can get.
All other stamps/visas are at DOJ/GNIB.[/quote]

Doesn't make much sense to me but if you say so! What's the deal with that accompanying spouse mention on the passport? Any documents we should provide the immigration at the airport?

Does our "strategy" make sense to you?

I have another question: I read somewhere that the non EU spouse has to surrender his passport upon applying for EU 1! Is that true?? What about leaving the country then, even for a short trip?

Thanks Microlab for answering![/quote]

archigabe

Re: what stamp at the airport

Post by archigabe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:26 am

aureliebg wrote:Hi all,
Our question: what do we say at the immigration at the airport? What stamp do we need? Any special visa or stamp needed before applying? Knowing that Israeli citizens can automatically get a 3 months tourist visa.
Your plan sounds fine so far.

Upon entering Ireland,you need to tell the immigration officer at the airport that you are moving to Ireland to settle with your husband, at which he/she usually will stamp your husband's passport with an immigration stamp indicating the period of time your husband will be allowed to stay before he needs to apply for the E.U1.

That said, before you download the E.U1 form from the DOJ website and send it off, your husband will need to apply for a stamp3 at the GNIB office at Burgh Quay that will give your husband a temporary legal status before the E.U1 residency is approved, which usually takes 6 months or more.

The catch us that before you apply for the stamp3, you will need to show that you are employed and you can support your husband.You will also need to show proof in health insurance for both of you.

You will also need to submit proof of your employment when you apply for the E.U1 residency.

Bonne Chance!

aureliebg
Newly Registered

Re: what stamp at the airport

Post by aureliebg » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks Archigabe for your answer.

Isn't there a possibility to send off the application as is and then file the missing docs? If I'm already sending the French residence card later on, why not send the proof of employment with it? Is there a risk they won't process incomplete applications or worse answer before the 3 months I need until I get the French residence card?

If I do it that way, we might spare weeks or months! If I understood it well, they have to answer within 6 months of the first application, not from the time the file is complete, right?

microlab

Post by microlab » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:06 am

answer before the 3 months
:lol:

No chance of that happening.

Dimy77

Post by Dimy77 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:01 pm

When we arrived in Ireland, my wife is also from a non visa required country, we showed our marriage certificate at the passport control. They stamped her passport with a "join spouse" notice for 1 month and told us to register at the GNIB. That's all....

I wouldn't worry too much about entering the country, the problem will be to stay here. Just make sure you submit the EU-1 application before the original stamp expires, after about two weeks after you submitted the form, send them a letter by registered mail to ask your documents back. We received our documents back about a month after our application together with a letter that we needed to send them proof of legal residence in another country (which we didn't have).

In your case, you can send them the french registration as soon as you'll have it. Additional information you might want to send them is a proof of healthcare insurance for the non-eu spouse and a reference letter from the employer of the EU spouse.

Be prepared to wait 6 months for a decision.... I can advice you to send them a reminder letter after about 4 months and then again after 5 months. Also email them if you still didn't hear anything after 5,5 months.... if you send them letters, always use registered mail and keep the receipts and copies of the letters.

Good luck!

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:44 pm

It would be much easier if you lived in France for 2 years so that your husband can apply for French citizenship by declaration, because if you live outside of France, he has to wait 5 years. Likewise, obtaining Irish citizenship would take approximately 7.5-8 years. Citizenship may not be your goal, however the security it provides is well worth the 3 years in France, and then you can move to Ireland with no hassles at all.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:30 am

I am a bit concerned that they might reject the application straightaway as incomplete if you send it in without proof of your employment. The proof of employment is one of the required documents on the E.U1 application form.They don't ask for residency card of other E.U country on the form, so it's excusable to some extent to send it in later.

aureliebg
Newly Registered

Post by aureliebg » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:00 am

joesoap101 wrote:It would be much easier if you lived in France for 2 years so that your husband can apply for French citizenship by declaration, because if you live outside of France, he has to wait 5 years. Likewise, obtaining Irish citizenship would take approximately 7.5-8 years. Citizenship may not be your goal, however the security it provides is well worth the 3 years in France, and then you can move to Ireland with no hassles at all.
Well thank you for this answer but this is not an option for us. Maybe a backup plan but that's all.Living outside of France, we just need to wait another 3 months until my husband can obtain citizenship (4 years in case of marriage) but he would have to know French.
Thanks anyway for this answer!

aureliebg
Newly Registered

Post by aureliebg » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:16 pm

archigabe wrote:I am a bit concerned that they might reject the application straightaway as incomplete if you send it in without proof of your employment. The proof of employment is one of the required documents on the E.U1 application form.They don't ask for residency card of other E.U country on the form, so it's excusable to some extent to send it in later.
Hi Archigabe,

I downloaded the EU1 form from the DOJ website and there is no mention of needing a proof of employment so I'll go for it anyway. They can't refuse the application on the grounds of not providing something they don't ask for.

So anyway that leaves us with getting a "join spouse" mention on the passport, then filing the EU1 incomplete immediately and filing the rest of the documents later on.

Am I good?

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Aurelie

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Oh yeah, you're right.They only require proof of employment when you apply for a 'spouse visa' at the irish embassy. Since your husband doesn't need a visa to enter ireland, you can just fly into the airport with passports,marriage cert and other required docs without having to apply for a visa from the Irish embassy.
Do keep us posted on how things turn out!

aureliebg
Newly Registered

Post by aureliebg » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:29 pm

archigabe wrote:Oh yeah, you're right.They only require proof of employment when you apply for a 'spouse visa' at the irish embassy. Since your husband doesn't need a visa to enter ireland, you can just fly into the airport with passports,marriage cert and other required docs without having to apply for a visa from the Irish embassy.
Do keep us posted on how things turn out!
Great, I will definately keep you posted on every step.
Thanks all for being of such assistance, I wouldn't have known where to start without this forum :D
Leaving tomorrow morning, wish us luck!! 8)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:46 am

archigabe wrote:I am a bit concerned that they might reject the application straightaway as incomplete if you send it in without proof of your employment. The proof of employment is one of the required documents on the E.U1 application form.They don't ask for residency card of other E.U country on the form, so it's excusable to some extent to send it in later.
As long as the EU citizen is working, studying or self-sufficient, you should have no problems.

Are they requiring that all applicants for EU1 have health insurance? Do all Irish people have to have health insurance?

Zucker
Newly Registered

Post by Zucker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:47 pm

What is the amount needed to be self-sufficient? I read some people say they went with marriage cert, passports and money. How much money do you need to show in your EU1 application form?

I think health insurance is a requirement for EU1. The cheapest that I could find for a family of 3 is about 600 euro per year.
:roll:

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Zucker wrote:What is the amount needed to be self-sufficient? I read some people say they went with marriage cert, passports and money. How much money do you need to show in your EU1 application form?

I think health insurance is a requirement for EU1. The cheapest that I could find for a family of 3 is about 600 euro per year.
If you are not working, not a student and not retired, they could require you to have the equivalent of the smallest amount the government pays people on welfare.
Last edited by Directive/2004/38/EC on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:38 pm

Zucker wrote:What is the amount needed to be self-sufficient? I read some people say they went with marriage cert, passports and money. How much money do you need to show in your EU1 application form?

As far as I can remember, there's no requirement to show savings on the E.U1 form. If you were apply for the Spouse visa, then you would have to show bank statements.

Zucker
Newly Registered

Post by Zucker » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:15 pm

"If you are not working, not a student and not retired, they could require you to have the equivalent of the smallest amount the government pays people on welfare."

Im trying to find out how much is that smallest amount.
Any help please?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:23 am

Each member state has different minimum social support levels. I have never seen a comparison table showing the levels in each member state.

In any case, it is usually pretty low.

microlab

Post by microlab » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:03 am

In any case, it is usually pretty low
Yes Directive,but in this instance its Family of 3 and that would amass to 15-20K a year!But as you said there is no set rule how much one should have in the bank so this figure I mentioned is fictional.
I think decisions are made on case to case basis.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:34 pm

microlab wrote:
In any case, it is usually pretty low
Yes Directive,but in this instance its Family of 3 and that would amass to 15-20K a year!But as you said there is no set rule how much one should have in the bank so this figure I mentioned is fictional.
I think decisions are made on case to case basis.
If you do not want to work, then I think having the minimal resources to support all of the people from savings is not unreasonable. If you want to or are working, then you are not required to have any particular amount of money.