ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can we stay together?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

Viza?
Newly Registered

Can we stay together?

Post by Viza? » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 am

Hi, I am a New Zealander living in Ireland with my partner. I am here on a working visa and this expires on 1st April. We have been together for 3 years now (2 years in nz and 1 in Ireland) and living together for 2 years. Can anyone give advice on how we can stay together?

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:01 am

Hi,

What type of working visa do you hold? Is it a working holiday visa? or is it something else? What nationality is your partner?

Viza?
Newly Registered

Post by Viza? » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:53 am

Yes it is a working visa, valid for one year, for Ireland only and my partner is Irish.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:11 pm

With working holiday visas, they require you to leave the country, and if you have a sponsor, to apply for a work permit/green card from overseas (after being told a load of rubbish from the various departments, I left and got a green card from overseas). It's something that is signed when the visa is applied for saying you'll leave the country and not seek to remain. I note that young Irish do sign a very similar statement when getting a working holiday visa for New Zealand, but staying on is no issue for them really if they qualify for another permit.

Further more, when I came back into the GNIB with my green card permit, they were very rude saying I shouldn't have got it because I was on a working holiday visa (which had expired) and that I should have left the country (wrong again) and gone home.

I'm not entirely sure what the situation is with partnerships, but I think you need to be together 4 years to be permitted to remain in Ireland (I think they give you a stamp 3, which means you cannot work unless you get a work permit/green card). Other members may be able to help you out more with the relationship factor. I know the rules aren't exactly liberal here when it comes to partners when compared with a country such as New Zealand.

Viza?
Newly Registered

Post by Viza? » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks very much for the advice, I really appreciate it! They definitely dont make things easy a? Cheers.

microlab

Post by microlab » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm not entirely sure what the situation is with partnerships, but I think you need to be together 4 years to be permitted to remain in Ireland
Irish do not recognise unmarried partners, therefore no chance of getting appropriate visa using that route!

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:42 pm

I found this which suggests they may - http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000278 but it doesn't give work rights or anything like that and requires you to prove you've been in a relationship for 4 years too!!

microlab

Post by microlab » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:07 pm

Yeah,it looks like they may grant one of these with Stamp 3 I would immagine and no rights whatsoever.
C**p :lol: