ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please advice on taking this type of job as a student

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

paribus
United Kingdom

Please advice on taking this type of job as a student

Post by paribus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:34 am

I am a non-EEC student doing a master's degree in an IT course. I started my program in october 2007 and I've just finished my first term exams.

Since I started my studies i've never done any sort of work while here and I'll say mostly due to the fact that my job searches were restricted to part time IT jobs (where I have much experience) but I've had no luck up until now. I had actual almost given up on getting a part time IT related job until as luck would have it I applied for this part time IT support job working 2 days a week and i was offered the job.

The work involves providing 1st to 3rd level IT support in a large organisaton (and the 2 days a work was because it's a job share with an existing worker who required some work day flexibiliity from the organisation) and would be paying between 11k to 12k pa. I think the full time position was paying something like 28k pa and the 2 days per week had been pro rated to the 11-12k pa range.

The company would be offering this work a fixed term 7-month contract basis that would be renewable.

My concerns are this:

1. The salary while reflecting the level of speciality or skillset required on the job might ordinarily seems to be high and not fit in the profile of a part time student job. Is there any possibility of this being miscontrued by home office as taking full time career employment by deduction from the wages earned. From the indications i have, that this is a typical monthly wage for some full time jobs in certain sectors.

2. I am looking at applying for IGS after graduation and I am really unsure if home office might have any reason to believe that based on the wages earned monthly, that the job is a full time or permanent role. But the truth is the job would only be working two fixed days a week (both days combined under 20hours as it'll be working the normal 9--5). I don't know what checks are carried out but i'm worried that merely looking at my NI and payslips might lead to drawing a wrong conclusion that the job was full time and working more than 20hours per week.

I am really worried about this and the company would possibly be requiring that i accept an offer by next week. I would appreciate any helpful advice in this regards bearing in mind my concerns detailed above and that i am overtly careful about not violating my visa terms. Is there anything further I need to know or is there any specific terms that need to be indicated in the employment letter. Do you forsee any problems when I apply for IGS later this year, most likely sometiime in oct/nov.

Apologies for the lengthy post and appreciate your prompt responses.
We burn the midnight oil seeking for PEO appointments and up again early to resume our all-important jobs to keep us in the country. We are Highly Skilled Immigrants - in every sense of the word!

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:52 am

So, you've found a part-time job that pays a lot better than flipping burgers and scrubbing floors - well done you.

I don't know of any restriction other than 20 hrs per week during term-time, as long as you are just an employee and not engaged in running the business. Any suspicion giving rise to an investigation would be bound to seek confirmation from your employer, who no doubt could confirm your hours of work and the job-sharing aspect. And you can work longer during the lengthy academic holidays

I bet your employer is delighted to find someone of your abilities in that type of work who wants to work part time. Go for it. Don't worry.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:51 pm

A large organisation should have the proper timekeeping/timesheets to satisfy any concern that the HO may have. Anyway, the hourly rate is in line with the job specs so there shouldn't be any problem.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:28 pm

I assume you will also get a written contract which will stipulate the terms of your employment, if this doesn't explicitly state that it is a job share and the number of days per week, then you should be able to ask the HR people to state it explicitly. Once you get this contract, keep your copy safe.
'In everything give thanks'

paribus
United Kingdom

Post by paribus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:41 am

All - thanks for the response so far.

@Mr Rusty
I won't be in any way engaged in running the business (I doubt if I'm able to do that). It's just a normal employer-employee relationship. My concern is more the home office reaching a decision based on a wrong premise (of working full time) without contacting the company. I think I would actually be more delighted if they contact the company but the problem I forsee is that on the IGS form, there is no where that it is indicated for one to state employment (current or previous) details which would seem to me that any reference they are likely to make would be from NI or payslips.

@paulp
Sure the orgnaisation does have the proper timekeeping/timesheets and all expected HR stuff in place. I'm glad you are able to see that the hourly rate is in line with job specs. Just worried that HO won't see this in another way.

@OfCharity
I definitely do intend to get a written contract that states that it is a job share and working only 2 days a week. I'll be relying on this to back myself up on any potential visa violation issues.

Thanks guys for these responses. More responses still welcomed as I need all the insight I can get on this. I'm not sure if it is me worrying too much in advance, but having been looking at and going through the IGS application form, (which i won't be using until oct/nov and which might have changed when the PSW scheme starts) it seems decisions are based only the documents requested which are:

Evidence of funds to sustain oneself for the duration of IGS (3 months bank statements, payslips etc)
Evidence of completion of course of studies.
NI details

No where in the form was one asked to state explicity where one has worked and for how long or rate of pay, but since they are asking for the NI number, my guess is that employment information would be deduced from the NI, just don't want the guys to make any wrong conclusions. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to put in a copy of the letter of employment when applying for IGS even though this is not explicitly requested for.

Thanks again in advance of your contributions.
We burn the midnight oil seeking for PEO appointments and up again early to resume our all-important jobs to keep us in the country. We are Highly Skilled Immigrants - in every sense of the word!