ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Registration Success (MN1) For Child Born in Uk

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

f2k
Diamond Member

Child Registration Success (MN1) For Child Born in Uk

Post by f2k » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Just wanted to say got registration certificate for my baby.

Applied: 10 June 09 (Croydon NCS)
Applied Under Section 1(3)
Acknowledgement Letter Received: 19 June 09
Payment deducted: 21 June (paid by cheque £460)
Registration Certicate received: 26 June Dated (23 June 09)

Thats just about 2 weeks to complete. Child was born here in UK and did not have ILR.

I went with my passport and wife's passport with our ILR's (only one was required but the NCS registrar said since i had them there she might as well copy them) and birth certicate which was also copied so i left with my originals.
Also the application did NOT have any referees. Hope this helps those struggling to get referees for their babies

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:08 pm

That is very helpful. I would suggest Administrator to make it a sticky. This will help others like me. Becasue the other sticky re. timeline gives information re. adult applying for naturalisation not minor.

1.I would like to ask you what did they say about the referres. Until what age (child) referees are not required?

2. Are you now going to apply for british passport with that certificate? How old is your child? Does the child need to attend the citizenship ceremony?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Yes the lady at the register's office at Croydon did ask point out that i 'needed' referees but i told her that i had checked the guidance notes for the caseworker instruction and i believe that referees was only required for someone above 10years. She did say that they might get back to me with regards to the referees and i said i was fine with that.

Child is 3 months old.

Yes i am now going to apply for passport. was going to do at the weekend but was told that for first passports there needs to be a 'countersginature' on the photo and also to complete a section on the form. This person needs to have known ME (or the other parent depending on who signs the form on childs behalf) for the last 2 years and have a British passport. This for me is easier to get it only requires Persons name, Employer, Profession address, phone number and passport number and they have to sign as well of course

yhdyhd

Post by yhdyhd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:13 pm

f2k wrote:Yes the lady at the register's office at Croydon did ask point out that i 'needed' referees but i told her that i had checked the guidance notes for the caseworker instruction and i believe that referees was only required for someone above 10years. She did say that they might get back to me with regards to the referees and i said i was fine with that.

Child is 3 months old.

Yes i am now going to apply for passport. was going to do at the weekend but was told that for first passports there needs to be a 'countersginature' on the photo and also to complete a section on the form. This person needs to have known ME (or the other parent depending on who signs the form on childs behalf) for the last 2 years and have a British passport. This for me is easier to get it only requires Persons name, Employer, Profession address, phone number and passport number and they have to sign as well of course
Hi F2K. Please check this link http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ngtheform/ section 5.
In fact even children under 10 need referees it is not for the good character purpose. but for identity purpose, to prove the photo belong to the child.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:27 pm

yhdyhd
I also did not supply pictures. I had them with me but they werent asked for and i didnt offer. I think as mentioned before by others, is that this application under section 1(3) (and under 3(2)) is for entitlement and is treated more 'favourably' than the others which are like naturalisation, discretionary

Of course for passport application you do need pictures and one needs to be 'certified' by someone with British passport

yhdyhd

Post by yhdyhd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:44 pm

f2k wrote:yhdyhd
I also did not supply pictures. I had them with me but they werent asked for and i didnt offer. I think as mentioned before by others, is that this application under section 1(3) (and under 3(2)) is for entitlement and is treated more 'favourably' than the others which are like naturalisation, discretionary

Of course for passport application you do need pictures and one needs to be 'certified' by someone with British passport
Maybe the caseworker is less strict with the rule when dealing with yound kid's application. Anyway I will have a try like you, but plan to send the application to HO directly to avoid the trouble at NCS.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:15 pm

I doubt it was about whether they were less strict. According to the guidance notes for the caseworker, good character requirement and referees is only required for 10years onwards.

Chapter 8

Look at section 8.3.4

yhdyhd

Post by yhdyhd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:35 pm

f2k wrote:I doubt it was about whether they were less strict. According to the guidance notes for the caseworker, good character requirement and referees is only required for 10years onwards.

Chapter 8

Look at section 8.3.4
But wehn reading the application form, you can find the the good character and referee are two different sections. Section 4 is for good character and it state required for 10 years older only. Section 5 is called referee and identity, it didn't say any age limit. And the IDI that you refered is dated in 2007. But if you look at the guide(MN1) which accompanys MN1 application form, you can find the referee is reuqired for all application, not just 10 years older.
BTW is the citizenship certificate that you received for your baby a non-photoed document?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Its an A4 size sheet (certificate) no photo.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:37 am

f2k,

Please keep me udated with the timeline for your child's passport.

I wrote to the Homeoffice NCS. See my email and the reply.

Email: UKBANationalityEnquiries@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk
Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your email.

Character checks are carried out on applicants aged 10 and over, as the child is five years old he/she will not be subject to this. [b]Therefore if you can find no suitable referees please state this on the form and leave this section blank [/b]or two people who know your family may sign it.

Regards,
xxxx
Customer Service Advisor
UK Border Agency
Nationality General Enquiries
xxxxxx

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have got a query regarding child registration under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981.(using MN1 form)

One of the parent has got Indefinite Leave to remain. My query is regarding Referees section in the MN 1 form. The child is born in UK and is only 5yrs old and does he need to provide details of two referees?

Please Note: Someone else in the similar situation (his son is younger than this child) was not asked to provide the details of two referees by the Nationality Checking Service.

Therefore I am confused. Please advice.

Regards,

xxxxxx

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Raj2007, good stuff, if using NCS then use take that email with you and you shouldnt have any problems.

I will let you know about the progress of the passport application

stella66
Newly Registered

Post by stella66 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:33 pm

I have just applied for registration for my two daughters aged 8 and 11. They were born outside the UK, and have ILR. The timeline is as follows:

Date of posting: 26 June 2009
Card debited: 30 June 2009
Acknowledgement received: 4 July 2009 (dated 1 July 2009)
Date of approval: waiting

John

Post by John » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:59 pm

stella66, have you and/or your spouse already got your British Citizenship?
John

stella66
Newly Registered

Post by stella66 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:41 am

John wrote:stella66, have you and/or your spouse already got your British Citizenship?
Yes, l got my approval on 25 June 2009, and my ceremony is on 20 August 2009. I did not include the children on my application because l was not sure if l would qualify.

John

Post by John » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:22 am

Actually stella66, I think your answer to my question should be :-
No,, but l got my approval on 25 June 2009, and my ceremony is on 20 August 2009
The point is that you are not yet British, and I think you should have waited until after your ceremony before submitting the MN1s for your born-outside-the-UK children.

What to do? I think it will do no harm to writing to UKBA asking if either they could hold the applications until after your Citizenship Ceremony, or alternatively if they feel they can deal with them now, ask them to do so, so the children's Certificates of Registration can be handed over at the same ceremony as for you.

Worse case is clearly if the applications simply get rejected.
Last edited by John on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

yhdyhd

Post by yhdyhd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:37 am

Our accplication was refused by NCS as there is no referees in spite of bringing the email from HO. Am wondering whether to send the application to HO directly. Not sure will I lose the applcation fee.

yhdyhd

Post by yhdyhd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:50 am

I want to ask how did you pay to HO as there is no payment section in the application form.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:42 pm

yhdyhd,

Was your application is for child only? If so, how old is he/she? If you see the email response from HO says, if the child is below 10yrs old then you may get away without providing referee details.

RAJ

John

Post by John » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:49 pm

yhdyhd, is this a point worth making? Surely it is a lot safer just getting the referee detail completed.
John

aaanjoo

Post by aaanjoo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:02 pm

Dear all,
Is there a difference if child has got ILR or not when applying registration MN1?
In my case parents and two child(under 5) all four have got ILR. Both child were born in the UK.

John

Post by John » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:18 pm

aaanjoo, the difference is not so much whether the child personally has ILR, but where they were born. If child born in the UK :-
  • if born after one or both parents has their own ILR, then child automatically British from the moment of birth, but
  • if born prior to both parents getting their ILR, it is necessary to apply for registration as British using form MN!, but no ILR compulsory when making that application
Consider this list, in order, which could actually happen (although admittedly the timescale would usually tend to be a bit longer!) :-
  • child is born on Monday
  • on Tuesday one or both parents get their ILR[(at a PEO)
  • on Wednesday the birth is registered, so a birth certificate is issued
  • on Thursday the form MN1 is posted!
The point is this. The child does not have a visa, or indeed a passport, but nevertheless an application for Registration as British can still be made.
John

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:22 pm

yhdyhd wrote:I want to ask how did you pay to HO as there is no payment section in the application form.
the payment section is found on the 'fees section' on the citizenship section of the UKBA website.

I paid by cheque by the way

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... from060409

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:25 pm

John wrote:aaanjoo, the difference is not so much whether the child personally has ILR, but where they were born. If child born in the UK :-
  • if born after one or both parents has their own ILR, then child automatically British from the moment of birth, but
  • if born prior to both parents getting their ILR, it is necessary to apply for registration as British using form MN!, but no ILR compulsory when making that application
Consider this list, in order, which could actually happen (although admittedly the timescale would usually tend to be a bit longer!) :-
  • child is born on Monday
  • on Tuesday one or both parents get their ILR[(at a PEO)
  • on Wednesday the birth is registered, so a birth certificate is issued
  • on Thursday the form MN1 is posted!
The point is this. The child does not have a visa, or indeed a passport, but nevertheless an application for Registration as British can still be made.
Just to confirm what John has said, my child did not have ILR also had no passport. Registration certificate was received after 2 weeks

ILR/ Registration of Child

Post by 1273 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Can someone clarify the following poinst/questions?

1. Does a child (born outside the UK 6 years old automatically gets ILR when the parents gets it, irrespective the child has been in the UK for a minimum of 2 years?

2. When the parent with ILR is making an application for Naturalisation can he include the child of 6 years on the applicaiton so that the child (who was born outside the UK) can be registered?
WOW

John

Post by John » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Using your numbering :-
  1. that would depend upon why the parent is getting ILR. For example, is the parent making a 10-year Long Residence application, in which case the answer is "no", or have they got a spouse visa, or HSMP or WP, in which case, "yes", if the child already has a UK time-limited visa, and is entered on to the parent's visa application form.
  2. Yes, if the child has a ILR visa.
John