ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(M) Finacial proof concern- please help!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

fruithoney
Newly Registered

SET(M) Finacial proof concern- please help!

Post by fruithoney » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi my 2 year unmarried partnership visa is going to expire this December, so I am applying for ILR under SET(M). I have the following questions need to ask and I really hope someone can help me as I am very concern and worry about it.

1.My partner (British) has been self-employed since May 2010, I have difficultity to prove his income as he has not got any pay slips or P60. As he business was started after April, we have not got any Tax return or other form of prove his income. He has a business bank account, however as the business just started not long ago, most earnings has to be invested back to to business, so the balance showes on it is not impressive, it is about £1500 in credit at the moment. I need some advise on how to prove he has surficient income.

2.He has a personal account which is in overdraf.
Also we have a join name saving account which has about £3000 in it.
I have permenant job and have regular income, and I have ISA account which has healthy saving in it.

Based on the above information, can anyone advise me that how to satisfy the fiancial requirments of applying for ILR on SET(M).

Thank you very much!!!
Last edited by fruithoney on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:18 pm

It isn't necessary for you both to be earning, as long as you can show you're able to support yourselves financially. which you appear to be able to do.
You may want to include a copy of your husband's self-employment registration with HMRC and it will be obvious that he hasn't needed to submit a self-assessment tax return yet.

xyz123

Re: SET(M) Finacial prove concern- please help!

Post by xyz123 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:26 pm

fruithoney wrote:
1.My partner (British) has been self-employed since May 2010, I have difficultity to prove his income as he has not got any pay slips or P60.
what about payslips / income before starting self employment? would be useful to have these.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Payslips from more than 6 months ago won't affect the application either way. With SET(M) applications the focus is on the fact that the relationship is continuing rather than finance. It's not essential for both to be employed, as long as they are self-supporting financially, which appears to be the case here. The OP's husband can submit his UTR (tax reference) to show self-employment and that no self-assessment tax return is yet due.

fruithoney
Newly Registered

Post by fruithoney » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:38 pm

Thank you very much for your replies.
However on the set(m) form, it asked to fill in how much money my partner earn after tax, as his income varies all the time, does it mean that I just get the average of last 6 months? how do I get the after tax amount when he not paying tax yet?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:23 am

I'd suggest you give the average. My husband is self-employed and that's what we did when we applied successfully for his ILR. A deduction of 20% from the gross will give an estimated amount which will be all you need. Submit his business bank statements...which don't by the way have to show a substantial credit balance.

fruithoney
Newly Registered

Post by fruithoney » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Casa wrote:I'd suggest you give the average. My husband is self-employed and that's what we did when we applied successfully for his ILR. A deduction of 20% from the gross will give an estimated amount which will be all you need. Submit his business bank statements...which don't by the way have to show a substantial credit balance.
Thank you CASA, what about if my parnter's personal bank statement is overdraft? do i just not provide that to the home office? As some of the earnings off the business are paid into his personal account.

by the way do you know where i can get free immegration advise ? I want to get all my documents checked and also get some more advise..

Thanks a lot

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:46 pm

I would submit all bank statements. The accounts in credit will balance the overdraft.
The Immigration Advisory Service offer free advice.

fruithoney
Newly Registered

Post by fruithoney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Casa wrote:I would submit all bank statements. The accounts in credit will balance the overdraft.
The Immigration Advisory Service offer free advice.

I went to immigration advisory service today and apparently they said I am not qualified for the free service and ask for about 350 pound if i need their advice. So I found them not helpful at all.

I wonder if I need to get a prove from accountant of what my partner earn over the last 6 months?

I am still very worry about this.

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) Finacial prove concern- please help!

Post by Muz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi,

I was in a very similar situation 2 years ago. My ife was not working and I had become self employed with no payslips to prove steady income. It is understandable that your partner has filed his taxes yet.

In my case, I simply sent
1) all the P60 documents of the past 2 years.
2) Bank statements:- Overdraft isn't something bad as long as you have some source of income coming in and expenses going out in the last few months it is enough.
3)Covering Letter: I did write a covering letter explaining the new circumstances however I was not apologetic, I just wrote, there were no returns available as they were not due yet.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

fruithoney
Newly Registered

Re: SET(M) Finacial prove concern- please help!

Post by fruithoney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Muz wrote:Hi,

I was in a very similar situation 2 years ago. My ife was not working and I had become self employed with no payslips to prove steady income. It is understandable that your partner has filed his taxes yet.

In my case, I simply sent
1) all the P60 documents of the past 2 years.
2) Bank statements:- Overdraft isn't something bad as long as you have some source of income coming in and expenses going out in the last few months it is enough.
3)Covering Letter: I did write a covering letter explaining the new circumstances however I was not apologetic, I just wrote, there were no returns available as they were not due yet.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers
Thank you for your reply.

1. He doesn't have p60's for 2009 and 2010 only have 2007 and 2008, can i request the HMRC to send out again?

2. Bank statments. We have 5 accounts. my personal account ,his personal account, my isa account, our join current account, join saving account ,his business account and also business saving account . His personal account is in overdrafts for about £1000 but all others are in plus.
Do I need to provide all these accounts statments for the last 3 months? or 6 months?

3. I have regular income for £22k a year, althought he is self-emplyed, would that be enough to prove for both of us?
as he does not have tax return yet so we are trying to get a accountant to varify his account, is this necessary?

Please help. thanks a lot

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:09 am

Your salary will be enough for both of you.