ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA national AND British Citizen - need help!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Penelope111
Newly Registered

EEA national AND British Citizen - need help!

Post by Penelope111 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Hello,

I have found all the information on this forum here very interesting however my husband and I have a slightly more complicated issue at hand. I would be glad for anyone's comments.

My husband is both a British citizen and an EEA national here in Greece. We have been married for about 1.5 years and live here in Greece. I am a non EEA national and have received a residence card from the Greek government that says "family member of a Union citizen", valid for 5 years.

We want to live permanently in the UK. Now, this is made more complicated by the fact that we think it would be easier for me to secure a job in England before him. Is it possible for me to apply for a EEA family permit, for both of us to travel there and for me to support him financially? How would this affect my EEA2 application? What kind of comprehensive insurance do we need to have? Is it sufficient to show a sum of savings? The other thing is would my husband would have to give in his greek passport/id in order to obtain an EEA (as I understand this method is recommended when I apply for my EEA2)? He will be travelling to and fro from Greece frequently and he will need his id.

The alternative and more expensive method is to apply for the British spouse visa and at whopping €950 and there is no worries about ensuring that we adhere to treaty rights etc etc.

Please comment.

Thank you

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 pm

I think the actual complication is that it is unclear whether the UK follows the Eind ruling or not. If so the EEA national would not have to 'exercise treaty rights' anymore after return. You may also be able to make use of the EEA route through your husband's Greek citizenship. If you support your husband financially he would be considered self-sufficient and you would need comprehensive sickness insurance for both of you (that is if the UK ignores Eind). Nevertheless your husband will need to be resident in the UK.

Rolfus

Post by Rolfus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:26 pm

I raised this with UKBA in a FOI request. They made a very helpful and courteous reply.

In essence, they say returning British Citizens are covered by regulation 9 of the EEA immigration Regulations 2006, and there is nothing within reg 9 that requires a British (sic) national to continue to be economically active on return to UK. The regs are therefore compliant with Eind...

Of course the UKBA also deny that 'other family members' of British nationals have the right to facilitation . But as you are married this will not be an issue.
civis europeus sum

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 am

Rolfus wrote:I raised this with UKBA in a FOI request. They made a very helpful and courteous reply.
Is that answer available online?

Rolfus

Post by Rolfus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Retyped from paper copy

Home Office UK Border Agency
European Operational Policy
Permanent Migration
North West Region
12th floor St Anne House
20-26 Wellesley Rd
Croydon
Surrey
CR9 2HL

(FOI) Home Office Reference: 17722

7th March 2011

Dear …

Thank you for your email of 13 February 2011 where you have requested reports, papers, internal guidance and correspondence illustrating how the UK Border Agency has implemented the European Court of Justice (ECJ) decision in the case of Eind (C-291/05).

It may be helpful to briefly outline the background to the Eind case and what the European court confirmed in its judgment. The case concerned a Dutch national who came to the United Kingdom in 2000 where he subsequently exercised his Treaty rights as a worker. He was then joined by his third country national daughter. A year later, he applied for and was issued a residence permit confirming his right to reside here as a worker under European law. His daughter was issued a residence document on the basis that she was under 21 years of age and dependent upon her father. In October 2001 Mr Eind and his daughter returned to the Netherlands. In light of bad health, Mr Eind was unable to secure employment and instead relied on social assistance from the Dutch authorities. As a result of her father’s economic inactivity, the daughter’s application for a Dutch residence permit was refused by the Dutch authorities. Under their legislation, they required Dutch nationals who had worked in another Member state to continue to be economically active upon their return to the Netherlands in order for their accompanying family members to be issued European documentation.

The ECJ confirmed in its judgment that Mr Eind’s daughter, who had been living lawfully in the EU, had a right to enter the Netherlands even though her father was not economically active within his home state as a Dutch national.

As you will note from my recent correspondence to you in relation to the Surinder Singh judgment, the UK Border Agency already provides for family members of British nationals to return to the UK with the British national provided that certain criteria are met. These criteria are laid out in regulation 9 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006. Regulation 9 requires the British national to have resided in an EEA state as a worker or self-employed person before returning to the UK and for the family member, if a spouse or civil partner, to have resided with the British National in the EEA state before the British national returned to the UK. There is nothing within Regulation 9 that requires a British national to continue to be economically active in the UK upon his/her return to the United Kingdom. As such, regulation 9 is compliant with the principles of the Eind judgment outlined above. Given that regulation 9 entered into force more than a year before the judgment in Eind, the British Government was already acting in accordance with the Court’s findings in that case. This meant that no subsequent amendments were required to regulation 9 in order to implement the Eind judgment. In light of the fact that no changes were actually required, this explains why there are no minutes, reports or papers that deal with the implementation point you have raised.

For the same reason there is nothing specific in the European Casework Instructions (ECIs) that relates to the implementation of the Eind judgment. Rather, the rights of family members of British citizens are dealt with by Chapters 1 and 5 of the ECIs as outlined in my previous correspondence. For completeness, I include the relevant links below.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

If you are dissatisfied etc etc

Yours sincerely

…
Policy Manager
European Operational Policy
North West Region
UK Border Agency
civis europeus sum

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 pm

UKBA wrote:In light of the fact that no changes were actually required, this explains why there are no minutes, reports or papers that deal with the implementation point you have raised.
Or rephrased:
"At UKBA we try to be compliant with ECJ decisions for cases that have not even yet been accepted by the ECJ! After the Eind decision, we did not even have to think at all about whether we were compliant, since we already definitely 100% were (Trust us!). And since we did not even have to consider whether we are compliant, therefore there are no minutes, reports or papers."
Yea, sure!

I would appeal, even though it is nice what they wrote. Why are they afraid of releasing original documents?