ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse of Irish husband born in NI

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lolo82
Canada

spouse of Irish husband born in NI

Post by lolo82 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi, Im not usre if this is the correct board for posting but i thought i would give it a try.

I have read that after 3 years of marriage to an irish citizen, the spouse can apply for irish citizenship. My husband was born in Armagh, Northern Ireland and holds an irish passport. He has never declared himself british nor held a british passport. We were wondering if after three years of marriage, am I able to apply for Irish citizenship?

thank you for your help

adlexy

Re: spouse of Irish husband born in NI

Post by adlexy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:34 pm

lolo82 wrote:Hi, Im not usre if this is the correct board for posting but i thought i would give it a try.

I have read that after 3 years of marriage to an irish citizen, the spouse can apply for irish citizenship. My husband was born in Armagh, Northern Ireland and holds an irish passport. He has never declared himself british nor held a british passport. We were wondering if after three years of marriage, am I able to apply for Irish citizenship?

thank you for your help
Hello lolo82,

I will suggest that you should be validly able to make an application for Irish citizenship if you have been married for at least 3years.

Besides, it makes no difference if he also has a British passport or citizenship. There are no legislations preventing Dual citizenship between Irish and British (As a matter of fact, an Irish citizen may sign the application form as a referee for anyone making an application for British citizenship).

All the best :)

laspo24

Re: spouse of Irish husband born in NI

Post by laspo24 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 am

lolo82 wrote:Hi, Im not usre if this is the correct board for posting but i thought i would give it a try.

thank you for your help
For u to qualify for the 3yrs law u ve to be residing within Island of ireland for the 3yrs period which NI is one. I am also in Armagh.

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:32 am

I thought you had to live in the republic not just on the island to get citizenship (not counting people like your husband who are born there)? I'm not sure on that one though, curious to know the answer for sure.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Wisco wrote:I thought you had to live in the republic not just on the island to get citizenship (not counting people like your husband who are born there)? I'm not sure on that one though, curious to know the answer for sure.
Go and read what the the legislation says (find an unofficial consolidated version on the net) or google on helpful internet information sites before enlightening us with your amateur and unverified opinion.

The answer is, yes, you can make an application. The Application is considered on on All Island basis
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... riage.html

laspo24

Post by laspo24 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Wisco wrote:I thought you had to live in the republic not just on the island to get citizenship (not counting people like your husband who are born there)? I'm not sure on that one though, curious to know the answer for sure.
He or she has to be residing in Ireland or island of Ireland for 3yrs for them to be eligible for it.

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:16 am

Thank you for your help. We are staying indefinitely in Ireland. I have been here since 2007 but sadly it doesn't count towards my time as I never registered myself with the Garda. (didn't realise I had too)

Thank you again