ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bermuda citizenship question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

y2richie
Newly Registered

Bermuda citizenship question

Post by y2richie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi,

My Dad wants to know if he can get Bermudian citizenship as his Grandmother was born in Bermuda?

Thanks,

Richard

secret.simon

Re: Bermuda citizenship question

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:37 am

Bermuda does not have its own citizenship. People from Bermuda hold British Overseas Territories citizenship (BOTC) and since 2002, most of them are also British citizens. Among the wider pool of BOTCs, people from Bermuda hold Bermudian "Belonger status".

What are your father's current nationalities? Was it his paternal or maternal grandmother who was born in Bermuda? And when and where were the intervening parent and your father born?

As the question is about an aspect of British nationality law, moved to the British citizenship forum.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

y2richie
Newly Registered

Re: Bermuda citizenship question

Post by y2richie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for your reply Simon.

My Dad's a British citizen. I guess what he was looking for was a 'belonger status'.

It was his maternal Grandmother who was born in Bermuda in 1890. His mother was born in England in 1920 and my Dad was born in England in 1946.