ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bring children to Uk then apply for MN1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cliffyblack321
Newly Registered

Bring children to Uk then apply for MN1

Post by cliffyblack321 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm

I have moved to England and need to get my family over here. I have applied for a visa for my wife but want to apply for citizenship under section 3(2) 1981 for my children.
Can I bring them to the UK on a US visitor visa and then apply over here?
I just don't want to wait 6 months for the citizen thing to happen.
What is the quickest, cheapest, easiest way to get them here?
Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Bring children to Uk then apply for MN1

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:13 pm

Are you a British citizen by descent (born to at least one British parent outside the UK)? Section 3(2) registration only applies to children of British citizens by descent.

If not, what is your immigration status in the UK?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cliffyblack321
Newly Registered

Post by cliffyblack321 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Yes I am British by descent I was registered under section 3(1) and lived in UK for 17 years

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Most registrations under Section 3(1) would make you a British citizen otherwise than by descent. Are you sure that you are a British citizen by descent?

The only Section 3(1) registrations that lead to British citizenship by descent is if one of your parents was a British citizen at the time of your birth. Otherwise, you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent and your children will be British citizens by descent.

See Section 14(1)(c) of the British Nationality Act 1981.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cliffyblack321
Newly Registered

Post by cliffyblack321 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks for the reply.
My Dad is a US citizen and I was born there to my British mother which I believe makes 14 (1) (c) relevant. We moved to UK less than a year after my birth but I wasn't registered till I was 16. (Uh oh, does that mean my kids aren't eligible because I don't think I lived in UK for 3 years after becoming a citizen!!)