ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Application with Cancelled Indian Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

British Passport Application with Cancelled Indian Passport

Post by mesn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:20 am

Hi Folks,

Looking for some guidance on my son's British passport application. He currently holds an Indian passport which we have an appointment next week to surrender. Post this, when I apply for the British passport, should I mention he has a "Foreign passport" or not? The online form talks about sending the original valid passport to the passport office but nothing about a cancelled one.

Wondering as a lot of people are facing issues holding foreign passports with their maiden names and applying for a British passport with their married name. Won't it be an option for them to just renounce their old citizenship based on the Naturalization certificate and apply for the British passport then?
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Passport Application with Cancelled Indian Passport

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:24 am

I believe it's un-cancelled passports only but you can include it as well shouldn't do any harm - it will be returned.
Regarding name mismatches it is a regular issue. One way of getting round this is to apply in the name on your foreign passport, so your certificate will show the same name and apply for passport in that name. And then I believe a name change can be registered and with that apply for a new passport in the married name. I have no experience of this so maybe others could comment on this.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: British Passport Application with Cancelled Indian Passport

Post by mesn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:24 am
I believe it's un-cancelled passports only but you can include it as well shouldn't do any harm - it will be returned.
Regarding name mismatches it is a regular issue. One way of getting round this is to apply in the name on your foreign passport, so your certificate will show the same name and apply for passport in that name. And then I believe a name change can be registered and with that apply for a new passport in the married name. I have no experience of this so maybe others could comment on this.
Thanks. I will send the cancelled passport as well then. No harm, as you mentioned.

The second question is not applicable to me. Just curious as they could cancel their foreign passport and then apply for British passport (where the rules allow) and avoid the issue.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022