ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Citizenship for Foreign Parents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bym007

Child Citizenship for Foreign Parents

Post by bym007 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:06 am

Hi,
I had a baby girl last month and registered her with the relevant council in London. I have a Tier-1 PSW visa myself, and my wife is a dependant on the same visa.

After reading through loads of papers and websites, my question is what is the procedure for my girl to get British citizenship?

Does she automatically qualify for British citizenship or not?

What do I do next?

Many thanks in advance!

geriatrix

Re: Child Citizenship for Foreign Parents

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:00 am

bym007 wrote:What is the procedure for my girl to get British citizenship?
First you (either or both parents) will have to get ILR. Only then can your born-in-UK child be registered as British Citizen.
bym007 wrote:Does she automatically qualify for British citizenship or not?
No.
bym007 wrote:What do I do next?
Apply for child's passport at the embassy of the country you are a citizen of. You may then apply for leave to remain for your child as a dependent if you wish to travel abroad with your child (exiting UK without a visa will not be a problem for the child, but she will not be able to re-enter without valid leave to enter / remain). If you expect the child's first trip abroad to be to her home country, you may wish to apply for EC for the child from the home country instead of a leave to remain application from within UK.

regards

bym007

Post by bym007 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 am

Million thanks for the clarfitcation!