ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hiteshtuteja

Citizenship query

Post by hiteshtuteja » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:01 pm

My wife, son and I are Indian citizens but UK residents and have an Indefinite Leaver to Remain since 2015. We had the birth of our son in UK recently and has not been registered with the Indian High Commission yet. I need to apply for British citizenship for all of us but needs this group's help:
- Can my new born son apply for a British passport immediately even if we, the parents don't have citizenship already? If so, what is the process? Does he need to register as a British citizen first and then apply for a British passport or is it a single step process?
- Can all of us (my wife, myself and both kids) apply for citizenship together or will my new-born's application need to be separate?

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: Citizenship query

Post by cyclina1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:41 pm

hiteshtuteja wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:01 pm
My wife, son and I are Indian citizens but UK residents and have an Indefinite Leaver to Remain since 2015. We had the birth of our son in UK recently and has not been registered with the Indian High Commission yet. I need to apply for British citizenship for all of us but needs this group's help:
- Can my new born son apply for a British passport immediately even if we, the parents don't have citizenship already? Yes. As you are already ILR, so all children born IN THE UK after you have ILR are British citizen. If so, what is the process? Just an registration. Does he need to register as a British citizen first and then apply for a British passport or is it a single step process?
- Can all of us (my wife, myself and both kids) apply for citizenship together You, your wife and son (born before ILR I assume) are need to naturalize or will my new-born's application need to be separate? Your new born son just register. Yes. They are separate process.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Honestly, if you fail to get the citizenship finally NOT because you refuse to attend the ceremony but just the council fails to arrange, and the HO insists you lose the citizenship, That is definitely a headline in Metro or Evening Standard!
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm

cyclina1 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:50 pm
Honestly, if you fail to get the citizenship finally NOT because you refuse to attend the ceremony but just the council fails to arrange, and the HO insists you lose the citizenship, That is definitely a headline in Metro or Evening Standard!
Cyclina1, is this post meant for another thread? There is nothing in the OP's post or history that suggests any issues with issues with a council appointment.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Oh yes. Just a wrong post. Thanks for your notice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:01 pm

hiteshtuteja wrote:
My wife, son and I are Indian citizens but UK residents and have an Indefinite Leaver to Remain since 2015. We had the birth of our son in UK recently
- Can my new born son apply for a British passport immediately even if we, the parents don't have citizenship already?
Yes. As the child is born in the UK and atleast one parent had ILR at the time of birth, the child is automatically a British citizen. Apply for British passport.
hiteshtuteja wrote:
Can all of us (my wife, myself and both kids) apply for citizenship together or will my new-born's application need to be separate?
It will be three separate applications. 2 x Form AN for yourself and your wife and 1 x Form MN1 for your elder child. The youngest, born after your ILR is automatically a British citizen and does not need any application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.