ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Definition of valid passport in citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shadowfax

Definition of valid passport in citizenship application

Post by shadowfax » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi all,

I started filling in the citizenship application for my 4 year old son who was born in the UK. Now that his parents (me and my wife) have settled status, I'd like for him to obtain UK Citizenship as soon as possible.

I began the application on 19 September and have just finished it. However, I've now noticed that his passport expired on 28 September.

For the sake of the citizenship application, is this still considered a valid passport? The applications asks "Do you have a valid passport?" then asks for the Issue date and the Expiry date, along with the the affirmation that I can provide this passport if requried?

Would they accept it, or do I need to get a new passport for my son before completing (pay) the application?

Appreciate the help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Definition of valid passport in citizenship application

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 am

A UK born child does not need a valid passport or any passport to be able to apply for citizenship.

Note that a valid passport is one that hasn't expired yet. If his passport has expired, you answer NO to the question.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:00 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 am
A UK born child does not need a valid passport or any passport to be able to apply for citizenship.

Note that a valid passport is one that hasn't expired yet. If his passport has expired, you answer NO to the question.
Thanks for this. Apparently this is correct if the UK child hasn't had a passport, but as my son has then I assume he cannot select no to the question "can you provide a valid passport?"

Why does the application ask then if I can provide a valid passport if I have already entered an expiry date that has passed? The application isn't very intuitive then.

When I select that the child does not have a valid passport I think get the following options:

You have lost it, or it was stolen

You have never had a passport (for example, because you were born in the UK)

You have previously applied for leave and your passport has not been returned

You have sent the Home Office your passport as part of someone else's application

Other

The only one that I can select is other Or should I select the one that says You have never had a passport (for example, because you were born in the UK) which isn't correct as he has had a passport, just not a UK one.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:10 am

Simply state the true reason in other. A valid passport is not required for a UK born child.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:50 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:10 am
Simply state the true reason in other. A valid passport is not required for a UK born child.
Ah yes, I see under "Other reason for not being able to provide a passport" it allows me to type in a reason.

Can I still have some links to government sources that say a UK born child doesn't been to submit a passport?

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 am

Actually, he is already a dual citizen, so could I use his other valid passport, even though it is not the one that his Settled status is based on (it is a non EEA passport)?

Thanks!

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Bump! Anyone else have any advice? Thanks

Route to ILR
Member of Standing

Post by Route to ILR » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:03 pm

shadowfax wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:36 pm
Bump! Anyone else have any advice? Thanks
Send the expired passport if that is what u want to hear. U dont need a valid or a new passport.