ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Descent or ancestry?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rmazzawi
Newly Registered

Descent or ancestry?

Post by rmazzawi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Hello,

Palestine was once colonized and mandated by Britain in 1920’s until 1946, and I recently discovered that my grandparents (from my father’s side) possessed British passports. My father unfortunately did not know whether he could apply for a British passport or not and nobody advised him. Therefore, I am contacting you hoping you could advise me whether my father can apply for a British passport and pass it to my mom and our family. We are all above 18.

Fact:
Grandparents (from father's side): British and Palestinians
Father: Born in Palestine, holds Jordanian Passport
Mother: Born in Jordan, holds Jordanian Passport
Parents were married at time of birth and still currently married
5 kids, all above 18 (4 born before 1983, and I was born in 1989)
I am currently in the UK.

I am finding many contradicting things on the internet and can't determine whether we can or not.
Can my dad apply for a British passport, pass it to my mother (through marriage) and to us? - if yes, which is the best route to take?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Descent or ancestry?

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:07 am

Where were your grandparents born?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rmazzawi
Newly Registered

Post by rmazzawi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:20 am

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

There were born in Palestine (grandfather) & Egypt (Grandmother). The had a British mandate Palestinian Passport because they were in Palestine during that time.
I think from what I read on the internet, such people are considered British Protected Person (BPP).

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:37 am

Neither descent nor ancestry is applicable to you. For either to apply, generally (there are a few exceptions), the parent/grandparent needs to have been born in the UK itself, not a colony.

Furthermore, Mandatory Palestine (1923-48) was not a British colony, but a mandated territory of the League of Nations administered by the UK and had its own separate citizenship, distinct from British citizenship. Holders of a Mandatory Palestine passport were generally not British subjects, with only the latter getting a British passport.

Also see this thread.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.