ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First adult passport queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

HGHGHG
Newly Registered
Pakistan

First adult passport queries

Post by HGHGHG » Tue May 24, 2022 3:54 am

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are doing well.

I am in a bit of a fix and wanted to get input from experienced people here and would welcome any suggestions as well.

My citizenship ceremony is on 1 June 2022 after which I should be eligible to apply for a passport.

Initially I thought that I would be able to fast track my application only to discover later that we are not able to do that for the first UK British passport.

I have to fly out of the country on 1 July 2022 as my mother has a medical condition which needs to be taken care of in the first week of July and I would be then coming back mid August after she has recovered after her surgery.

Would you guys let me know what I should do as I have to travel on 1 July 2022?

Should I opt for a emergency travel document? Would I be able to apply for a proper passport after I have secured an emergency travel document? Is there anyone in HMPO office I could reach out to help me expedite the process for my first proper passport?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Thank you and best regards,
HG

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: First adult passport queries

Post by Ticktack » Tue May 24, 2022 9:32 am

HGHGHG wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:54 am
Hi Everyone,

I am in a bit of a fix and wanted to get input from experienced people here and would welcome any suggestions as well.

My citizenship ceremony is on 1 June 2022 after which I should be eligible to apply for a passport.

Initially I thought that I would be able to fast track my application only to discover later that we are not able to do that for the first UK British passport.Yep, not available for 1st time passport application.

I have to fly out of the country on 1 July 2022 as my mother has a medical condition which needs to be taken care of in the first week of July and I would be then coming back mid August after she has recovered after her surgery.Postpone your ceremony till you come back.

Would you guys let me know what I should do as I have to travel on 1 July 2022?Entirely your choice.

Should I opt for a emergency travel document? Would I be able to apply for a proper passport after I have secured an emergency travel document? Is there anyone in HMPO office I could reach out to help me expedite the process for my first proper passport?You can't get an emergency passport, if you've never had a passport before.

HG
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

HGHGHG
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by HGHGHG » Tue May 24, 2022 9:43 am

Thanks TickTack for your response.

I did try postponing my ceremony to which the council said that my certificate has already been issued and this expires on 12 July, so not really sure if this is an option that I can explore?

Are they right in saying that there is actually an expiry date to the certificate?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 am

HGHGHG wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:43 am
Thanks TickTack for your response.

I did try postponing my ceremony to which the council said that my certificate has already been issued and this expires on 12 July, so not really sure if this is an option that I can explore?

Are they right in saying that there is actually an expiry date to the certificate?
Not sure I get what they mean by expiring. You've 3 months from the date of your naturalisation acceptance, this was extended to 6 months due to Covid-19. Not sure if it's reverted back to 3 months.
Probably what they're saying is that they'd return your certificate back to the HO.
My advise would be to do the ceremony, then apply for you passport same day. Have your referee on standby to confirm your identity same day.
Maybe, just maybe you might get your passport in a month. You can move your travel by a week or 2 for rest of mind. Then you can spend all the time in the world before you come back.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Tue May 24, 2022 3:42 pm

HGHGHG wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Initially I thought that I would be able to fast track my application only to discover later that we are not able to do that for the first UK British passport.

I have to fly out of the country on 1 July 2022 as my mother has a medical condition which needs to be taken care of in the first week of July and I would be then coming back mid August after she has recovered after her surgery.

Should I opt for a emergency travel document? Would I be able to apply for a proper passport after I have secured an emergency travel document? Is there anyone in HMPO office I could reach out to help me expedite the process for my first proper passport?

HG
So, I would attend the ceremony and apply for a Passport immediately. Nowadays, it's taking close to 2 months and I am assuming you would need your current passport to travel as well. I had a similar family emergency. If you have your flights booked or any other medical proof, you are able to call the Passport office and get your application prioritised. Takes a lot of patience to follow up with them. Try to call them 100 times a day to get thru but at the end of it, they were able to process it in a couple of days and I got my Passport and supporting docs together.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

HGHGHG
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by HGHGHG » Tue May 24, 2022 3:48 pm

Thank you Mesn. That is a bit reassuring. What medical proof did you end up providing? My mother has a surgery lined up but that is back in Pakistan so I am not sure what evidence I would be able to provide but I can definitely look into it.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Tue May 24, 2022 4:04 pm

HGHGHG wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:48 pm
Thank you Mesn. That is a bit reassuring. What medical proof did you end up providing? My mother has a surgery lined up but that is back in Pakistan so I am not sure what evidence I would be able to provide but I can definitely look into it.
A simple 1 page Hospital admission letter for my father back in India. The Hospital needed consent to run some scans. People have shared their confirmed flight tickets. That works as well. They prioritize a couple of days before your trip in that case.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

IAmNullPointer
Newly Registered
Mood:
Venezuela

Post by IAmNullPointer » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:44 pm

HGHGHG wrote:
Hi Everyone,

HG
Hi,

How is it going - did you manage to do anything? I am also stuck, travel date 1st of July. Applied for passport on the 3rd and they got my documents on the 9th of June. So won't be travelling tomorrow.

What about you?