ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General discussion on naturalization applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mrsdoc
inactive

Re: General discussion on naturalization applications

Post by Mrsdoc » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:09 am

Echinol wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:35 pm
Hi everybody,

Anyone waiting for decision hear something from home office? Thanks.
Hi Echinol, I just want to let you know that I received my approval this morning along with invitation letter and I honestly believe yours won’t take long either. I see all February applicants having their turn one by one now 🤗! Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 for you.

Echinol
Mood:

Post by Echinol » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:13 am

Mrsdoc wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:09 am
Echinol wrote:
Hi everybody,

Hi Echinol, I just want to let you know that I received my approval this morning along with invitation letter and I honestly believe yours won’t take long either. I see all February applicants having their turn one by one now 🤗! Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 for you.
Hi Mrsdoc,

I’m so happy for you 🥲 congratulations 🥳 and thanks for your nice wishes.

Hkg1222
Newly Registered

Post by Hkg1222 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:18 am

Mrsdoc wrote:
Echinol wrote:
Hi everybody,

Congratulations Mrsdoc!
Can you please share if the letter states any deadline to book a ceremony upon receipt of the letter, and in how many months to attend the ceremony? Many thanks

basht
Newly Registered

Post by basht » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:10 am

Hello, I've got a question about the process: what normally happens after an application is approved? In particular, how much flexibility do I have regarding the ceremony date? This message suggests that I may get a ceremony date assigned straight away, but may be given some time (20 working days?) to contact the local council. Does it depend on the location? I'm in Brighton if it matters, and going to apply in early 2022. The reason is, I'm thinking out how to avoid being locked in the country in August 2022.

basht
Newly Registered

Post by basht » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:22 am

I mean, how the ceremony date is assigned. Do they offer you only one date? Are group ceremonies still not going on pretence of a pandemic?

mcare
Newly Registered

Post by mcare » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:24 am

Mrsdoc wrote:
Echinol wrote:
Hi everybody,

Congratulations Mrsdoc. Hopefully you be more lucky with the ceremony and passport processes :)

Mentioning the ceremony, can I ask you for a favor? Would you please ask the council since when did they have your certificate?

The reason I am asking is that I understand from the council register office that they have all my family certificates since July 22nd, but no letters came.

Mrsdoc
inactive

Post by Mrsdoc » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:17 am

Hkg1222 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:18 am
Mrsdoc wrote:
Echinol wrote:
Hi everybody,

Congratulations Mrsdoc!
Can you please share if the letter states any deadline to book a ceremony upon receipt of the letter, and in how many months to attend the ceremony? Many thanks
Hi Hkg1222, thank you 😊.
Yes, the letter states in “what you must do” section that I have to contact my local authority within 60 days of the date of the letter to book my ceremony. Also, it said that it might take up to 2 working days for the documentation to arrive at the Council.

Hope it’ll help 🙂.

Mrsdoc
inactive

Post by Mrsdoc » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:26 am

mcare wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:24 am
Mrsdoc wrote:
Echinol wrote:
Hi everybody,

Congratulations Mrsdoc. Hopefully you be more lucky with the ceremony and passport processes :)

Mentioning the ceremony, can I ask you for a favor? Would you please ask the council since when did they have your certificate?

The reason I am asking is that I understand from the council register office that they have all my family certificates since July 22nd, but no letters came.
Thank you Mcare 🙂, I do hope too that I won’t need to wait ages for my final stage and get my ceremony booked soon 🤞.

Yes, of course I’ll ask my council about that although they might not have my certificate yet as in the approval letter states that it could take up to 2 working days for it to be delivered to them. But based on my application being approved on the 20/08/2021, I am hoping that Council should have my documents by now.

And what do you mean all your certificates are already with them but no letters? Apology I may not be fully aware of this scenario. Do you mean invitation letters?

Mrsdoc
inactive

Post by Mrsdoc » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:40 am

basht wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:22 am
I mean, how the ceremony date is assigned. Do they offer you only one date? Are group ceremonies still not going on pretence of a pandemic?

Hi basht,
The approval letter doesn’t state your ceremony date. It’s something that your Local Authority should do for you provided there’s availability for it.Once you receive your approval and invitation letter to arrange your ceremony, you must then contact your Council yourself and arrange a date.
In regards to the private and group bookings and Covid impact on it… it’s really hard to say as everyone’s case is different and local authorities are too. I’ve seen some people were allocated their ceremonies’ date straight away, some had to wait for months…

EniB88
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by EniB88 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:58 am

Guys, we finally received the famous brown envelopes on Saturday, so only 1 week before our 6-month wait finished. It has the invitation for ceremony at our local council. So I called yesterday to book the ceremony and my jaw dropped. The next free, group ceremony is on 30th October, otherwise we can book a private or a virtual one for next Wednesday, which would each be chargeable at £160. Disgusting. When we paid the ton of money for the citizenship fees, it stated that the fees include the ceremony too, but now using the Covid situation to squeeze even more money out of us. Anyway, we will have no choice but pay for the private one as we urgently need to finish all paperwork, including the passports, as the primary school applications are open from today and I need to do that for our little one... I am so glad that we will soon finish this mad process, it took so much time, effort and money away from our house-savings. Finally, soon we can resume our "lives", our plans to settle properly.

Mrsdoc, have you heard anything back, yet?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:06 am

EniB88 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:58 am
Guys, we finally received the famous brown envelopes on Saturday, so only 1 week before our 6-month wait finished. It has the invitation for ceremony at our local council. So I called yesterday to book the ceremony and my jaw dropped. The next free, group ceremony is on 30th October, otherwise we can book a private or a virtual one for next Wednesday, which would each be chargeable at £160. Disgusting. When we paid the ton of money for the citizenship fees, it stated that the fees include the ceremony too, but now using the Covid situation to squeeze even more money out of us. Anyway, we will have no choice but pay for the private one as we urgently need to finish all paperwork, including the passports, as the primary school applications are open from today and I need to do that for our little one... I am so glad that we will soon finish this mad process, it took so much time, effort and money away from our house-savings. Finally, soon we can resume our "lives", our plans to settle properly.

The £80 ceremony fee included in the citizenship application fee is for a group ceremony.

Whether you choose to have a private ceremony is entirely your choice. The fees the council's charge for private ceremonies are set by the individual councils and vary from council to council. The private ceremony fees have absolutely nothing to do with UKVI or your citizenship fees already paid.

Unclear why the urgency for a private ceremony and British passport for primary school orocess as it is not mandatory to be british to attend school and being British doesn't give any advantage in placements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

EniB88
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by EniB88 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:50 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:06 am
EniB88 wrote:

The £80 ceremony fee included in the citizenship application fee is for a group ceremony.

Whether you choose to have a private ceremony is entirely your choice. The fees the council's charge for private ceremonies are set by the individual councils and vary from council to council. The private ceremony fees have absolutely nothing to do with UKVI or your citizenship fees already paid.

Unclear why the urgency for a private ceremony and British passport for primary school orocess as it is not mandatory to be british to attend school and being British doesn't give any advantage in placements.
Thank you, I am very well aware of that. What is frustrating that the group ceremonies are so far in dates, but when it comes to private paid ceremonies they have super early dates. I am also aware that we do not need to be British to apply for school however, my husband's Indian passport has expired in the meantime and we didn't extend it as he will have to surrender it once the British citizenship ceremony is done. So, he doesn't have a valid passport, and once we do school applications we would then need to change all our details on the application once again, too much headache.

camary2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by camary2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:56 am

I applied for Naturalisation in March so will be hitting the 6 month target for processing this month and have as yet, no decision.

Just wondering how many of us March (or earlier) applicants, like myself, are still waiting?

Will you be chasing/following up the status of your application once you hit the 6 month mark?

I noticed on this forum that some applicants get an email when over 5 months have passed, to say the processing time target of 6 months will not be met….is this type of email the exception or do most/all people who are delayed get this? Does it mean anything if I don’t?

Hopefully, those of us waiting will all get a response soon, but I’m just trying to get an idea of what my next steps should be, if I don’t hear soon and would really like to hear of other’s experiences!

Thanks!

EniB88
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by EniB88 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:15 am

camary2 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:56 am
I applied for Naturalisation in March so will be hitting the 6 month target for processing this month and have as yet, no decision.

Just wondering how many of us March (or earlier) applicants, like myself, are still waiting?

Will you be chasing/following up the status of your application once you hit the 6 month mark?

I noticed on this forum that some applicants get an email when over 5 months have passed, to say the processing time target of 6 months will not be met….is this type of email the exception or do most/all people who are delayed get this? Does it mean anything if I don’t?

Hopefully, those of us waiting will all get a response soon, but I’m just trying to get an idea of what my next steps should be, if I don’t hear soon and would really like to hear of other’s experiences!

Thanks!
My 6-month mark was going to be 4th September (applied on 4th March) and only received our approval letters+ceremony invitations on 28th August, last Saturday. I would say you can email them now as well, we have mentioned at least 3 different email addresses on the previous page where they replied to me fairly quickly. Worth a try. Good luck, I hope you get answer soon! :)

camary2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by camary2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:47 am

EniB88 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:15 am
camary2 wrote:

Thanks!
My 6-month mark was going to be 4th September (applied on 4th March) and only received our approval letters+ceremony invitations on 28th August, last Saturday. I would say you can email them now as well, we have mentioned at least 3 different email addresses on the previous page where they replied to me fairly quickly. Worth a try. Good luck, I hope you get answer soon! :)

Thank you so much for that and congratulations on your approval- it is a long and anxious process and the wait seems so long for many of us.

Looking back through the topic, I have seen the email addresses you noted, but it was my understanding that one should not contact them before the 6 months? I don’t want to do anything “wrong” or indeed take time away from employees trying to process applications, but at the same time I would really like to know the outcome as I have a long-standing booked 1 months travel in October (lost my Mum during COVID last year and we decided not to have a funeral, but a memorial service in October when we thought it would be safe for everyone in the family to travel internationally)

I suppose it may be worth a try soon (I applied 23 March), especially as you say that they actually did reply to you before your 6 month was up.

Anything else I can do?

EniB88
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by EniB88 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:15 pm

camary2 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:47 am
EniB88 wrote:
camary2 wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you so much for that and congratulations on your approval- it is a long and anxious process and the wait seems so long for many of us.

Looking back through the topic, I have seen the email addresses you noted, but it was my understanding that one should not contact them before the 6 months? I don’t want to do anything “wrong” or indeed take time away from employees trying to process applications, but at the same time I would really like to know the outcome as I have a long-standing booked 1 months travel in October (lost my Mum during COVID last year and we decided not to have a funeral, but a memorial service in October when we thought it would be safe for everyone in the family to travel internationally)

I suppose it may be worth a try soon (I applied 23 March), especially as you say that they actually did reply to you before your 6 month was up.

Anything else I can do?
You aren't doing anything wrong with asking and I do not think emailing them would take time away from processing applications. They have dedicated team members to deal with the email enquiries. They just dont want people to email them because they cannot cope with the current amount of emails as they are really delayed with the applications, due to COVID-19 lockdowns happening on and off. Although they should have a plan of recovery, to be honest. No harm done if you email them. At the end of the day, people pay lot of money and expect some sort of service as an exchange.

Mrsdoc
inactive

Post by Mrsdoc » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:00 pm

EniB88 wrote:

Hey EniB88! Yes, I received my approval and a ceremony invitation on the 28th of August! All came in the brown envelope. I’ve been quite lucky with my Council too as they called me themselves straight after I left a voicemail to be contacted. I’ve been booked for the 9th of September next Thursday for a group ceremony.
It’s been a long wait but I’m glad that at my final stage it’s going smooth enough 🤞.

EniB88
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by EniB88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:59 am

Mrsdoc wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:00 pm
EniB88 wrote:

Hey EniB88! Yes, I received my approval and a ceremony invitation on the 28th of August! All came in the brown envelope. I’ve been quite lucky with my Council too as they called me themselves straight after I left a voicemail to be contacted. I’ve been booked for the 9th of September next Thursday for a group ceremony.
It’s been a long wait but I’m glad that at my final stage it’s going smooth enough 🤞.
Yaayy, congratulations! :)
Finally, it has to you too :) our ceremony is on the 8th, but it is a paid, private one as the next group one would be on 30th October. Congratulations once again, hopefully the passports will be quick as well! :) Fingers crossed

Mrsdoc
inactive

Post by Mrsdoc » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 am

EniB88 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:59 am
Mrsdoc wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:00 pm
EniB88 wrote:

Yaayy, congratulations! :)
Finally, it has to you too :) our ceremony is on the 8th, but it is a paid, private one as the next group one would be on 30th October. Congratulations once again, hopefully the passports will be quick as well! :) Fingers crossed
Thank you so much for your lovely words 😊!
I’m happy that you got your date sorted as well even if it’s a paid one. Think of it as it’s the end of the road and you can close this chapter of your lives then it gives you that piece of mind.

Yes, I’m planning to apply for a passport ASAP and hopefully it shouldn’t take long 🤞.
All the best to you and your family! 😀🌸

mcare
Newly Registered

Post by mcare » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:12 am

Mrsdoc wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:26 am
mcare wrote:
Mrsdoc wrote:
Echinol wrote:
Hi everybody,

Thank you Mcare 🙂, I do hope too that I won’t need to wait ages for my final stage and get my ceremony booked soon 🤞.

Yes, of course I’ll ask my council about that although they might not have my certificate yet as in the approval letter states that it could take up to 2 working days for it to be delivered to them. But based on my application being approved on the 20/08/2021, I am hoping that Council should have my documents by now.

And what do you mean all your certificates are already with them but no letters? Apology I may not be fully aware of this scenario. Do you mean invitation letters?
No I don't mean the invitation letter. I meant the naturalisation certificates themselves. The council told me they recieved them, but i never recieved the invitation letter.

I was wondering if it is a common situation for February applicants, hence came my previous question. But apparently it is not.

Good luck with the rest of your process :D

camary2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by camary2 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:40 am

EniB88 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:15 pm
camary2 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:47 am
EniB88 wrote:
camary2 wrote:

Thanks!

Anything else I can do?
You aren't doing anything wrong with asking and I do not think emailing them would take time away from processing applications. They have dedicated team members to deal with the email enquiries. They just dont want people to email them because they cannot cope with the current amount of emails as they are really delayed with the applications, due to COVID-19 lockdowns happening on and off. Although they should have a plan of recovery, to be honest. No harm done if you email them. At the end of the day, people pay lot of money and expect some sort of service as an exchange.
I received my approval & ceremony invitation today by email(one email).
I took the advice offered here and on Thursday 2 Sept emailed the 3 email addresses suggested
Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk
NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk
I received automated responses from FurtherNationalityEnquiries (thank you…aim to respond 20 days…if less than 6 months unable to provide further info/update) and NationalitySupportTeamFMT (thank you…taking longer than usual to process because of COVID)
It may have been a coincidence that I received my approval today (Sunday 0920), 3 days after sending the emails, but it looks like it certainly didn’t hurt.
Thank you all for the advice and I would say, from my experience, that if others are approaching the 6 months and are concerned they should perhaps try those emails to give them a nudge.

Mrsdoc
inactive

Post by Mrsdoc » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 pm

mcare wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:12 am
Mrsdoc wrote:
mcare wrote:
Mrsdoc wrote:
Echinol wrote:
Hi everybody,

No I don't mean the invitation letter. I meant the naturalisation certificates themselves. The council told me they recieved them, but i never recieved the invitation letter.

I was wondering if it is a common situation for February applicants, hence came my previous question. But apparently it is not.

Oh I see. The Council called me back late in the afternoon last Tuesday after I tried all morning to call them. Anyway, a lady from the registration office told me that my certificate was already with them and based on the time my application was approved and the letter been delivered to me it must’ve been around a week since they’ve had my certificate. And she did ask for an invitation letter in order to attend a ceremony and luckily I’ve received it the same time with my approval. But what I’ve noticed with a lot of February applications is that they tend to have approval and invitation in the same letter.
Still no joy with your invitations letters 😳?

mcare
Newly Registered

Post by mcare » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Mrsdoc wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 pm
mcare wrote:
Mrsdoc wrote:
mcare wrote:
Mrsdoc wrote:
Echinol wrote:
Hi everybody,

Oh I see. The Council called me back late in the afternoon last Tuesday after I tried all morning to call them. Anyway, a lady from the registration office told me that my certificate was already with them and based on the time my application was approved and the letter been delivered to me it must’ve been around a week since they’ve had my certificate. And she did ask for an invitation letter in order to attend a ceremony and luckily I’ve received it the same time with my approval. But what I’ve noticed with a lot of February applications is that they tend to have approval and invitation in the same letter.
I am glad you had both in the same letter. I hope you have your ceremony very soon :)

For your question, Yes. No letters nor emails. Interesting enough, the council lady told me they had the certificates since the last week in July. I already emailed all home office emails on August 14th, but got nothing back except the auto response...

I will wait till the 14th of september, then ask the MP for help if nothing comes by then.

Let me know if you have any better idea.

Mrsdoc
inactive

Post by Mrsdoc » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:11 am

mcare wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:08 pm
Mrsdoc wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 pm
mcare wrote:
Mrsdoc wrote:
mcare wrote:
Mrsdoc wrote:

I am glad you had both in the same letter. I hope you have your ceremony very soon :)

For your question, Yes. No letters nor emails. Interesting enough, the council lady told me they had the certificates since the last week in July. I already emailed all home office emails on August 14th, but got nothing back except the auto response...

I will wait till the 14th of september, then ask the MP for help if nothing comes by then.

Let me know if you have any better idea.
Thank you mcare, yes I’ve got a group ceremony scheduled for the 9th of September this Thursday.

It must be so frustrating for you 😳 with this whole waiting situation. Yes, I think you have to ask your MP for help even at this stage as you’ve been waiting long enough, personally I’d do that if I were you. Don’t forget MPs have got some sort of facility to contact HO directly so give it a try.Sorry I can’t even think of any other solutions for you.
Hope it will get resolved for you soon 🤞

themisc
Newly Registered

Post by themisc » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:08 am

Almost 8 months - Dec 2020 application, Jan 2021 bio - still no response.
All 3 emails used during August.
Got a response from one of the emails asking for more info, followed by an automated '20 working days'.