ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Student Obtaining British Citizenship: CSI

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ImRonBurgundy
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish Student Obtaining British Citizenship: CSI

Post by ImRonBurgundy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 pm

Hello,

I'm an Irish Citizen, living in the UK for 6 years. I'm planning to apply for British Citizenship.

For the first 5 years I was in the UK I was employed. For the last year, I've been an unemployed student doing a master's degree in England. Right before I started studying I came across some information stating EU students needed Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) while studying in the UK.

Irish benefit from several privileges that other EU citizens don't receive because of the CTA, such as not needing to apply for the EU settlement scheme (CTA info) (Also includes things like voting and several other rights such as secured use of the NHS - as I understand it). So I wasn't sure I needed CSI. I contacted Citizen's Advice to find more info, to which they said I did not need CSI as an Irish student. So, I've gone the last year as a student without it.

Now, looking at applying for citizenship, before submitting the application fee (£1,330), I'm wanting to make sure this is indeed correct. Google doesn't cover this specific question well.

I've seen varying advice on different posts on this site. In some instances involving an Irish citizen (who had been a student without CSI), whose partner was seeking permanent residence. It was apparently rejected due to his time without CSI as a student. Link to message board

I've also seen it said here that Irish don't need CSI for British Citizenship. Link to message board

I don't know if cases like the first link which involve multiple people are treated differently than in my case. If anyone can give any more information on whether Irish need CSI for any time they are unemployed, that would be really helpful.

Many thanks

secret.simon

Re: Irish Student Obtaining British Citizenship: CSI

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:31 pm

To start with, kudos for doing your research before posing the questions.

Do not mix up the rules regarding Irish citizens and the family members of Irish citizens.

Irish citizens are considered settled on arrival (no CSI required) and can apply for British citizenship after five years of residence in the UK. This does not apply to or extend to the family members of Irish citizens.

Assuming that you hold Irish citizenship and you have been legally resident in the UK for five years (by holding Irish citizenship for the whole of the five years, for instance), you can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen. Keep in mind that you may need to demonstrate that you were physically present in the UK at the start of the five year period.

Pre-Brexit, family members of Irish citizens had to meet the same requirements as the family member of any other EEA citizen, which may include having CSI if required. Post-Brexit, an Irish citizen can sponsor their spouse on the same basis as a British citizen (meeting the minimum income requirement, English language test, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ImRonBurgundy
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ImRonBurgundy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:19 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Your response gives me more confidence I'm on the right track.

So essentially, in the example of the first link I cited, that spousal application was likely rejected due to the "EEA citizen" requirement being used by the government for the Irish citizen? I'm starting to understand these scenarios a bit better now.

And yes, I'm all set on the other requirements. I have been legally a resident and have a nice Excel spreadsheet listing every entry and exit I've made since arriving in the UK. :D

When you say I may need to demonstrate I was physically present in the UK at the start of that period, what does that typically entail?

Also, I've read that you need to be in the country for 5 years, but then you need to hold that status you receive for an extra 12 months before applying. So is the proof of being physically present mean to be at the beginning that 6 year period or simply 5 years before you application date? https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship

Many thanks!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:03 pm

ImRonBurgundy wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:19 pm
So essentially, in the example of the first link I cited, that spousal application was likely rejected due to the "EEA citizen" requirement being used by the government for the Irish citizen? I'm starting to understand these scenarios a bit better now.
Correct, because the application was being made by a family member, not by the Irish citizen themselves.
ImRonBurgundy wrote:
When you say I may need to demonstrate I was physically present in the UK at the start of that period, what does that typically entail?
Ideally a letter from your university, local council or a government department (HMRC, DWP, etc) issued five years ago.
ImRonBurgundy wrote:
Also, I've read that you need to be in the country for 5 years, but then you need to hold that status you receive for an extra 12 months before applying. So is the proof of being physically present mean to be at the beginning that 6 year period or simply 5 years before you application date?
The physical presence requirement applies to the start of the five year period immediately before the date of application (unless you are married to a British citizen, in which case substitute "three" for "five" above.)

Because you are an Irish citizen and are settled on arrival, you can apply after five years of residence and the additional year of settlement does not apply (as you will already have had five years of that).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.