ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is CSI required for Non-EEA family member and EEA national applying for citizenship with settled status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Is CSI required for Non-EEA family member and EEA national applying for citizenship with settled status

Post by EEA_question » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:18 am

Hi Guys,

I'm non-eea family member of EEA citizen.
Me and my wife has been granted settled status in Jan 2019 and we wish to apply for citizenship in a week time.

When my wife (EEA national) was studying, unfortunately she was not covered by Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) for 2 years (2014-2015) but when we realised our mistake we manage to get ourself CSI covered from 2016-2019 (Both EEA and NON-EEA citizen included in the cover).

As we all know CSI was not required for settled status.

I wanted to know if me (non-eea national) and my wife (eea national) are in breach of immigration law for years 2014-2015 for not having CSI?

Is it possible that case worker will request CSI information for a period when EEA national was student and application will be refused for not having it in years 2014 and 2015?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Is CSI required for Non-EEA family member and EEA national applying for citizenship with settled status

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 am

As you state, for Settled Status there is no requirement to have had CSI. Not having CSI was not a breach of immigration regulations - the only impact would have been that UKVI might have refused PR, but you were still lawfully in the country.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Re: Is CSI required for Non-EEA family member and EEA national applying for citizenship with settled status

Post by EEA_question » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Thank you very much for the reply @alterhase58

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Documents for Proof of living in the UK

Post by EEA_question » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:50 am

Hi Guys,

I've submitted my BC application online and I have a question on documents required for Proof of living in the UK.

I'm submitting following documents as proof of living in UK for last 5 years:
1) P60's for years 2015 and 2016
2) Pay slips for year 2016 (April to December) to cover the gap between last P60 and next employment.
3) Employment reference letter from my current employer confirming that "I'm permanent employee and joined them in Jan 2017"

My question is do I still need to submit P60 or payslips for years 2017-present along with employment letter or employment letter on it's owen is enough to prove 3 years (2017 - present) of residence in UK?

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:03 pm

My question is do I still need to submit P60 or payslips for years 2017-present along with employment letter or employment letter on it's owen is enough to prove 3 years (2017 - present) of residence in UK?
No - one type of document is sufficient for the period in question - so letter is sufficient.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Post by EEA_question » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:47 pm

Thank you @alterhase58 for your reply :)

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Post by EEA_question » Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 am

It looks like HO has updated citizenship policy guidance on CSI (Page number 26-28)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf

CSI is not required to obtain EUSS. But according to updated policy guidance, HO is saying EEA national and there family member (Student or self sufficient) are unlawful residence if they didn't had CSI period prior to EUSS when they apply for citizenship.

Please correct me if I'm wrong :(

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 19, 2020 8:34 am

Also see this thread.

It has always been my understanding that under the EEA Regulations, a student or self-sufficient person without CSI was lawfully present, but not legally resident in the UK.

It is unclear to me, from the document, whether the requirement for CSI stretches back to five years before the date of application or 10 years (indicating a breach of the good character requirement).

A senior (pro-EU) law professor did point out on Twitter that this change does not contravene the Withdrawal Agreement which only provided for Settled Status.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

potolot2
Mood:
France

Post by potolot2 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:08 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 am
As you state, for Settled Status there is no requirement to have had CSI. Not having CSI was not a breach of immigration regulations - the only impact would have been that UKVI might have refused PR, but you were still lawfully in the country.
It's mandatory to have PR or settled status before applying for Naturalisation.So,just wondering why doe the term CSI put in the published guidebook and in which context,it's mentioned or objectified?
Thank you for clarifying,pls

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Post by EEA_question » Tue May 19, 2020 9:32 am

Thank you secret.simon

I would have not made citizenship application if I would have know this before. I've applied for citizenship using EUSS in Feb with my partner and we haven't heard anything yet. Now with change in policy it looks like we risk losing both of our application fees at the time of crises. This uncertainty is causing lot of stress and anxiety :cry:

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Post by EEA_question » Tue May 19, 2020 10:53 am

I don't know where to start, I woke up this morning with the news on CSI policy change and felt hopeless about the situation.

I just now received email from caseworker confirming my citizenship application has been APPROVED :D

I thought this might comfort few people who are also in similar situation like me.

madalina91
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by madalina91 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:56 am

EEA_question wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:53 am
I don't know where to start, I woke up this morning with the news on CSI policy change and felt hopeless about the situation.

I just now received email from caseworker confirming my citizenship application has been APPROVED :D

I thought this might comfort few people who are also in similar situation like me.
Thank you! This is indeed very comforting for those of us waiting. Can I please check that the caseworker did not get in touch with you to ask anything regarding your CSI?

madalina91
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by madalina91 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:57 am

EEA_question wrote:

Also huge congratulations!

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Post by EEA_question » Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 am

madalina91 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:56 am
EEA_question wrote:

Thank you! This is indeed very comforting for those of us waiting. Can I please check that the caseworker did not get in touch with you to ask anything regarding your CSI?
No, Caseworker did not contact me asking for CSI. Only correspondence I received after my application was decision email.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 19, 2020 11:09 am

God moves in mysterious ways, and all that :D . Congratulations.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Post by EEA_question » Tue May 19, 2020 12:16 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:09 am
God moves in mysterious ways, and all that :D . Congratulations.
Indeed he does.
Thank you to everyone who selflessly help others in this forum. You guys are doing God's work.

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 pm

Hello :)

Congratulations!! @EEA_question.
It is really nice to hear that someone got their application approved after the news last week about CSI.

I have been stressing and worried like crazy as I haven't heard back. I applied back in February so I have been panicking about them asking me about CSI for 2015-2016 where I was a student and getting my application refused and losing a fee.

Can I just ask if they require evidence of lawful residence for 5 years before being given settled status so 6 years in total such as 2014-2019 +1 ILR or 5 years back from the date of the naturalisation application e.g. 2015-2020

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Fri May 22, 2020 2:35 am

Learning18 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 pm
Can I just ask if they require evidence of lawful residence for 5 years before being given settled status so 6 years in total such as 2014-2019 +1 ILR or 5 years back from the date of the naturalisation application e.g. 2015-2020
But for the question of good character, it's just the 5 years before the date of the application.

However, good character requires that you not have broken the immigration laws in the 10 years before the date of the application.

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:40 am

EEA_question wrote:

Congratulations again 😊

Just wanted to confirm with you if you were a student that require a CSI during the 5 year period used or a worker?

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Post by EEA_question » Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 am

Learning18 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:40 am
EEA_question wrote:

Congratulations again 😊

Just wanted to confirm with you if you were a student that require a CSI during the 5 year period used or a worker?
Hi Learning18, I understand your concerns with CSI, I'm sorry you have to go through this.
To answer your question. No, I was not a student at any time since I arrived to UK and has always been working full time, however I'm a family member of EU citizen who was a student and my rights to stay in uk where derived from my EU partner.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:49 am

Could someone confirm with me at what date or version
the new requirement was published?
I don’t mean the guidelines for caseworker, I mean the guidelines for applicants on their official website.

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:58 am

EEA_question wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 am
Learning18 wrote:
EEA_question wrote:

Congratulations again 😊

Hi Learning18, I understand your concerns with CSI, I'm sorry you have to go through this.
To answer your question. No, I was not a student at any time since I arrived to UK and has always been working full time, however I'm a family member of EU citizen who was a student and my rights to stay in uk where derived from my EU partner.

Thank you for your explanation, it really helped :D

Rbgotpwr

Post by Rbgotpwr » Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 pm

madalina91 wrote:
EEA_question wrote:

CSI is ONLY relevant for people applying NOW.

People who applied a few months ago will not need it.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Rbgotpwr wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 pm
madalina91 wrote:
EEA_question wrote:

CSI is ONLY relevant for people applying NOW.

People who applied a few months ago will not need it.
Speculations aren’t helping at the moment.

I did not see an official statement saying when it starts.

But I’ve seen applicants with some months and even a year old application being asked lately to prove CSI.

Rbgotpwr

Post by Rbgotpwr » Fri May 22, 2020 9:19 pm

Learning18 wrote:
EEA_question wrote:

Congratulations again 😊

I was a student for 5 years prior my settled status. No CSI. I applied end of January and got approved this month.

The new guidance only applies to new applications sent this month.