ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 application for a child since Nov 2017

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

oCarmen
Newly Registered

Naturalization of a child born in UK - MN1 or T form ?

Post by oCarmen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Hello, Can I ask for a bit of advice regarding naturalization of a child.

We applied for British Passports for my two sons. Younger received it, but older application was denied as we were not 5 years in Britain before he was born, so the only option remain is the same we did – naturalization.

Do we need to wait until he is 10 years old (he is 8 now), as that’s what I’ve heard. He was born in England and ever since he lived here – in the meantime me (just recently) and my wife (three years ago) have been naturalized.

Do we have to wait to apply for citizenship two more years and use "T" form or can we do it now with "MN1" form or there are other options I'm not aware of ?

Many thanks in advance!

Trabant

Re: Naturalization of a child born in UK - MN1 or T form ?

Post by Trabant » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi.
1) you cannot naturalise a child - children are being registered not naturalised
2)if a child was born in the UK and at least one of the parents have settled in the UK - you can apply for a registration of a child using form MN1

This is what I've done with my 2 sons in similar situation but they're a bit younger 4 and 6 years old (I am awaiting for a decision now)

good luck
Regards
Trabant

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:10 am

Trabant wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 pm
1) you cannot naturalise a child - children are being registered not naturalised
2)if a child was born in the UK and at least one of the parents have settled in the UK - you can apply for a registration of a child using form MN1
Same applies if one of the parents has become a British citizen. In fact- it's even simpler to use form MN1 in this case.

The Form T application is normally used by children after the age of 10 in cases where neither parent is British or settled. Or- sometimes- by those who have waited until after age 18 when the form MN1 registration option is no longer available.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

oCarmen
Newly Registered

Post by oCarmen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 am

Thank you both for a prompt answer to my queries. Registration as British Citizen sounds much better than naturalisation.

I haven't got my naturalisation ceremony yet (in Early Dec). Would it better to wait with the MN1 form till Ceremony or doesn't really matter?

Trabant

Post by Trabant » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:48 am

It doesn't matter. You'll just need different documents - when you're British - you'll need your naturalisation certificate, if before - you'll need your proof of settlement (Permanent Residency or Biometric Residence Card)

oCarmen
Newly Registered

Post by oCarmen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks, that's all I need I think.
Spoken with Home Office helpline too and they confirmed the same think.

Gona do MN1 soon before the price jump up again :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:57 am

oCarmen wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 am
Thank you both for a prompt answer to my queries. Registration as British Citizen sounds much better than naturalisation.
Registration is a simplified form of naturalisation.
I haven't got my naturalisation ceremony yet (in Early Dec). Would it better to wait with the MN1 form till Ceremony or doesn't really matter?
You can apply on MN1 using your wife's British citizenship. The Home Office only need to see evidence of one parent being British/settled- not both. You should not send away documents you might need for your citizenship ceremony (you should note- you're not British until your citizenship ceremony is completed).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

oCarmen
Newly Registered

MN1 application for a child since Nov 2017

Post by oCarmen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi, I'm looking for an advice what I can do to get some answers from Home Office.

I have applied for registration as UK Citizen using MN1 form for our 9 years old son. He was born and lives in UK ever since. Application was sent in November 2017 via Reg Office in Newbury, all checked and good.

After 6 months I have asked HO for an update. I've received standard email stating application is in the process. It has been 14 months now and I have chased and escalated few times, only getting the same generic response or none at all.

I don't know what should I do next?

Also, I am struggling to understand what sort of checks HO is doing on a 9 years old who always lived in England. Myself and wife have been naturalized (EU nationals) few years ago but this should not matter.

oCarmen
Newly Registered

Post by oCarmen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi all, its been a while since last update but I did sent MN1 for my son but no response for Home Office over 14 months :(

Thinking to write to my local MP to seek assistance, not in the position to pay the lawyer at this stage. Hope I don't have to.

Posted initially as a new topic query there;
british-citizenship/mn1-application-for ... 72829.html

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MN1 application for a child since Nov 2017

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:31 pm

I have merged your topics.

You should definitely ask your MP to chase HO on your behalf especially if you have not moved or changed addresses etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

oCarmen
Newly Registered

Post by oCarmen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Thank you for merging those topics and a response.

I have been living at my address for years. Called recently and just received the same generic response of application being in the process.

Going to write to my local MP to help with this matter.

oCarmen
Newly Registered

Post by oCarmen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:25 am

Quick update.

I have contacted my local MP who reached HO on our behalf.
That worked and we have received response from HO. Unfortunately the application has been lost and we have to re-apply but this time post directly to person who is going to work on the case. Not ideal but at lease we know what is going on and how to progress further for time being.