ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation cover letter

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Naturalisation Application

Post by safuri » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi everyone. Please I need contributions from the gurus in the house.
I got my ILR early 2020 through long residence. I am married but have had to separate from my ex and we now live apart due to domestic abuse I experienced. He has held unto the marriage certificate and I am just checking to see if I can apply for my citizenship using my ILR.
Would I need to tender my marriage certificate as part of the application as He has held unto the original copy.
I have always had to put in the original marriage certificate as part of my previous immigration applications.
Thank you all for your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation Application

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Is your spouse British?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by safuri » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Thanks @ CR001
I can't say but he was due his British citizenship in March. We are not on talking terms.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:37 pm

If he is already British, you likely need the marriage cert and British passport. No originals are sent to ukvi, scanned copies are uploaded, same process as ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by safuri » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:51 pm

@CR001
Many thanks for the information.
In case he refuses to supply both his passport and the marriage certificate for me to scan and upload (if he is now british) will a cover letter be accepted with my application to explain my situation?

Thank you.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:00 pm

safuri wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:51 pm
@CR001
Many thanks for the information.
In case he refuses to supply both his passport and the marriage certificate for me to scan and upload (if he is now british) will a cover letter be accepted with my application to explain my situation?

Thank you.
Even if he is British or not does not matter if you wait 1 year on ILR. You can simply wait 1 year on your ILR and apply in on your own right. The marriage certificate only matters if you are applying as per Section 6(2) of the BNA 1981 i.e. on basis of marriage with British Citizen. If you have problems with him, you can simply wait and apply AN after 1 year on ILR as per Section 6(1) of the BNA 1981. If he is NOT British, you have to wait 1 year on ILR anyways.
Early 2021 you will qualify on your own anyways.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:11 pm

Also in case of Section 6(1), you will have to meet 5 years (not 3 years) of residence in UK. As long you fulfil the requirements as per this section, you can apply in your own right and you do not need his passport or marriage certificate then (assuming he is British already).
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by safuri » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:28 pm

@Cullinan

Thank you for your contribution.
I am planning to wait for 1 year and apply in my own right.
I fulfill evidence of 5 years residence. At least with this I know I do not need the marriage certificate or his documents.

Thanks for your help.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:33 pm

safuri wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:28 pm
@Cullinan

Thank you for your contribution.
I am planning to wait for 1 year and apply in my own right.
I fulfill evidence of 5 years residence. At least with this I know I do not need the marriage certificate or his documents.

Thanks for your help.
After 1 year on ILR.

The form will ask your husband’s Nationality when you fill the form.

If you are married and declare he is British (if he is, you will have to), the form will automatically assume you are applying as per Section 6(2) and generate the checklist as per this section. Do not worry.

Just clarify in the cover letter that you want your application to be considered as per Section 6(1) instead and you do not need any marriage certificate and British Passport copy if you apply in your own right.

Also, input 5 years of absences from UK and make sure you meet the physical presence in UK 5 years ago.

If he is not British - the checklist will not generate British Passport copy and marriage certificate anyways.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Actually, my wife is British but I applied as per Section 6(1) in my own right. I just input her Pakistani Nationality in the form so the checklist generated is accurate. I declared her British Nationality in the cover letter (not the form) but mentioned that I want my application to be considered as per Section 6(1) and I did not need any wife’s British Passport copy or marriage certificate. No issues.

So to keep things simple you can just declare his home country’s nationality in the form and declare his British Nationality (if he is) in the cover letter with further clarification as stated above.

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by safuri » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:15 pm

@Cullinan

Thank you for your contribution. You have explained all the questions that has been bothering me.
I really appreciate you taking out time to do this.

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Issues with Sopa steria

Post by safuri » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi everyone. So sorry to bother you all but I made my application for naturalisation last night online and payment was taken. (1349.20).
I have been trying till now to pay for premium services for biometrics. Another headache is looking for dates as if paying 199.00 for this is not enough. Now the dates I got after staying up most of the night I cannot even pay for as the network of sopra steria keeps hanging till now. Is anyone experiencing this, I am anxious as I have got days to get a date for the biometrics. Thanks and please contributions will be appreciated.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Issues with Sopa steria

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Is there any reason to book a premium lounge appointment or you do not mind spending £199?

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by safuri » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:23 pm

@Cullinan,
Thanks for your response.
I could not get any date. All booked up till 28th February in my location and outside my location and its only showing till 28th.I also don't know how long this will take.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:28 pm

safuri wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:23 pm
@Cullinan,
Thanks for your response.
I could not get any date. All booked up till 28th February in my location and outside my location and its only showing till 28th.I also don't know how long this will take.
Firstly do not panic. You have 45 working days to book an appointment (excluding Sat/Sun) so a lot of time. These days biometrics appointments are running at a 28 days lag i.e. you get an appointment for the 28th day unless you get to find an earlier cancellation.
You were unable to see any as the 28th day was a Sunday 28th Feb (when you saw yesterday so no availability).

My suggestion:
1) Login 12 AM tonight. You will get one for 1st March, Monday.

2) Look for different centres and locations if you are willing to travel.

3) Look continuously for 3/4 days regularly to find an earlier cancellation or free appointments during the day/after midnight. For free appointments look especially between 6am-9am in the morning.

4) If you fail and can not find any earlier cancellations or free appointments for next 3/4 days, book one logging in at 12 AM midnight GMT. You will get one for the 28th day (has to be a week day for better availability).

I would suggest you try your luck for 3/4 days before you book one. Once you book an appointment, you will not be able to see any more availability.

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by safuri » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Thank you @ CULLINAN

I will go with your suggestion.

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Naturalisation cover letter

Post by safuri » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:15 pm

Hi everyone
Please I need your inputs.
Apologies if I have not posted in the right place.
I applied for my naturalisation in February 2021 and had my biometrics done in March 2021.
I had to add a cover letter as I had some further clarifications to make.
I typed my cover letter and included my name without putting in my signature and then uploaded it.
Today, I had to get some documents only to stumble on a copy of the cover letter and realised I did not sign it before uploading.
Will this be an issue? Has anyone had this experience before?
Your contributions are appreciated.
Thank you.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Naturalisation cover letter

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 pm

No :shock:

safuri
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: Naturalisation cover letter

Post by safuri » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 pm

@CULLINAN : Thank you