ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions at passport interview?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DAC000

Questions at passport interview?

Post by DAC000 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Ok guys, I applied for a passport on May 4th, and just received a letter asking me to attend an interview which I've booked for next week. I suspect this is necessary as my US passport expired about three years ago, and since I haven't had to travel I never renewed.

I've reviewed the older thread about passport questions, but was curious if anyone who has gone through the process recently could update?

Also the woman booking this for me said the interview would take thirty minutes -- is this just a worst case? I've read other accounts that it was a ten minute process.

Can anyone advise?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Questions at passport interview?

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Dec 2016. It's really just an identity interview. They could ask anything and everything, in my case some examples "how do you get to work", "how many sibling you got", "how did you get to the interview", "who is your phone provider", etc etc. They'll take a sample of your signature. Half hour is probably stretching it, probably most of the time is taken up by checking in and waiting, maybe 10 minutes for the actual interview.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kushalprasad
Newly Registered

Post by kushalprasad » Sat May 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Nothing to worry if you have nothing to hide. I had enough experience at airport immigration though and all I can say is just reply what they are asking and they will be happy. Don't make up chicken & bull stories though.
These pen pushers are just doing their bit of job (quota) and ticking boxes. They love ticking boxes.

Here are some of questions I face on every time entering into the country
1) What do you do?
2) Are you married?
3) Is your wife here to pick you up?
4) What exactly do you do in IT?

After hearing my straight to the point answer they just stop asking any more. They know I know what they are doing ;)

They ask these questions without looking at you and while looking at your passport.
I bet it wouldn't be different in the passport office.

Good luck and don't forget to update your experience!

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Yeh, thanks but that's not relevant -- I've taken British Citizenship, and when I applied for my passport they've invited me to an interview.

I'm looking for questions likely to be raised by Her Majesty's Passport Office at the passport interview. Not questions posed by staff at the border.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:46 pm

As I suggested, it's just a case of responding to whatever they ask. I am sure there were one or two questions where I had to say it's so long ago my memory on the subject is a bit fuzzy ....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Ok, hopefully this will help others as the previous thread is from 2011. There might have been a few minor questions I missed but this is the overall interview. Took about 15 minutes, not including a little social chit chat. Interviewer was upfront this was an interview to verify my identify.

Travel to / from the interview — route and means
Time it took

Where I lived
Rent / owned?
(we own) so mortgage?
Describe home

Provide full name, spelling it out
Date and place of birth
Full name of both parents, birthdate & place
Any brothers / sisters?

Who I lived with
(I’m married so) Any children?
How did I meet my wife?
What does she do?
Where / when did you get married?

Describe how I can to be eligible for Citizenship?
Why did I decide to apply for a passport now ( I naturalised a few years ago)

When did I naturalise
Where did I naturalise and how

What was I planning to do after this interview?

Might be a few I missed. Seems I was singled out since I’d was naturalised a few years ago. Home Office didn’t offer the consolidated process when I first naturalised.

Hope this helps someone !!

I've gotten the text indicating my original documents are due to be delivered tomorrow.