ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration for British Citizen (Passport)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kenk1231
Newly Registered
Mood:

Registration for British Citizen (Passport)

Post by kenk1231 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:30 am

Hi There,

I hope you are well.

I recently got the invitation to the ceremony to become a British Citizen shortly.

I become a British Citizen via the registration route which means I already have a British overseas passport.

I am confused as I already have an overseas British passport

Questions:
1. Do I need to apply for the new passport using the following link? Or they will take my current overseas passport and send the another one?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport

2. If I need to apply for the new one with a normal route as others like naturalisation. Am I have the right to keep both passports and both identities?

Thanks for that.
Ken

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Registration for British Citizen (Passport)

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:56 am

I believe you will have to apply for the "normal" British passport, the link you quoted, it's a separate application, they won't exchange your passport. HMPO will ask for your registration certificate and existing passport, originals only which will be returned. A British citizen cannot hold different types of British nationality or any immigration status. Unless someone has more detailed knowledge.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kenk1231
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by kenk1231 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:36 am

Thanks, alterhase58.

Not sure in this case, can I travel out of the country during applying for the new passport and come back with my overseas passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:39 am

When you apply for a passport, you have to send your current original passport to HMPO, so no, you wouldn't be able to travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kenk1231
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by kenk1231 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:44 am

Thanks CR001.

Your answer is absolutely clear now.

Much appreciated.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:41 pm

Do you have a British Overseas Citizen (BOC) passport, a British Overseas Territories Citizen (BOTC) passport or a British National Overseas (BNO) passport? The answer as to "Am I have the right to keep both passports and both identities?" depends on that.

To the best of my knowledge, you would only ever be issued with one British passport. What will happen is that under certain circumstances, additional entries will be made to the Observations page of the British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kenk1231
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by kenk1231 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi,

I hope that is okay to carry on this topic instead of opening a new post.

I am about the apply for my passport.

After I submit the photo, the next question is "Have you had a UK passport before?"

I am a bit confused as I got a UK passport before but just not the same type.

Q1. Should I say yes or no? (I try to click yes to see and it does not ask what type of passport)

Q2. I have an important trip on 1Sep. I am not sure can I use fast track if the Q1 answer is no?

Thanks again

kenk1231
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by kenk1231 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:45 pm

Quick additional information:

I try to click yes and step by step to the end of the page before submitting, I can see the following:

If any of the following apply, you need to send additional documents(opens in new tab):
change British nationality status in your passport to British citizen

In this case, should I just go for yes which is a kind of renewal instead of a first UK passport?

Thanks

shinu1234
BANNED

Post by shinu1234 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:09 am

I apply for first child british passport

Mode : Online Submission
Date : 8th june 2022
Verify by someone for
Confirming identity : 8th june 2022
Orginal documents -
Send via Registered : 8th June 2022
Royail mail .
Documents receveived by
HMPO liverpool Office : 15th June 2022
Till yet no any updates i received ..normally how many weeks it will take to process how to contact HMPO liverpool office ..