ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77876
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 am

Andyjayne wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 pm
Andyjayne wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:11 pm
Hi everyone,

I've been in the UK coming to 3 years now. I was on a student visa for 2 years and am currently on a tier 2 work visa. I decided to apply for my ROA in July this year before my tier 2 visa runs out. Its been almost 4 months since my application and have not heard anything, I have not even been asked for my biometrics. I tried calling the home office about 3 weeks ago and the person on the line was of no help, he told me the same information stated on the home office website. I have booked my flight to go home to Singapore for Christmas in December and I'm worried I won't be able to make it home this year:(

Does anyone know when we would or if we are even asked to do biometrics? I tried to use the case Id given to track my application but I can't seem to find a place to track it.

I'm going to try calling again to see if I can find out if my application has even been looked at.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrea
If you held/hold UK visas, how do you qualify for ROA??
My mum and grandmother are English and thus I do qualify for ROA. I applied for ROA so I don't have to keep applying for visas to work in the UK. When I came to the UK to study I was not aware of this visa and when I applied for work immediately after my degree I did not have the ability to live in the UK and not be able to work. So I applied for it now as my work visa is coming to an end.
If your mum is UK born, were you born abroad before 1 January 1983?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Andyjayne
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:02 pm
Singapore

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by Andyjayne » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 am
Andyjayne wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 pm
Andyjayne wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:11 pm
Hi everyone,

I've been in the UK coming to 3 years now. I was on a student visa for 2 years and am currently on a tier 2 work visa. I decided to apply for my ROA in July this year before my tier 2 visa runs out. Its been almost 4 months since my application and have not heard anything, I have not even been asked for my biometrics. I tried calling the home office about 3 weeks ago and the person on the line was of no help, he told me the same information stated on the home office website. I have booked my flight to go home to Singapore for Christmas in December and I'm worried I won't be able to make it home this year:(

Does anyone know when we would or if we are even asked to do biometrics? I tried to use the case Id given to track my application but I can't seem to find a place to track it.

I'm going to try calling again to see if I can find out if my application has even been looked at.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrea
If you held/hold UK visas, how do you qualify for ROA??
My mum and grandmother are English and thus I do qualify for ROA. I applied for ROA so I don't have to keep applying for visas to work in the UK. When I came to the UK to study I was not aware of this visa and when I applied for work immediately after my degree I did not have the ability to live in the UK and not be able to work. So I applied for it now as my work visa is coming to an end.
If your mum is UK born, were you born abroad before 1 January 1983?
I was born in Singapore in 1990. I was adviced by the home office that because my mum is English and had a UK passport and my grandmother is English I am able to apply for ROA.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77876
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 am

Andyjayne wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 am
Andyjayne wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 pm

If you held/hold UK visas, how do you qualify for ROA??
My mum and grandmother are English and thus I do qualify for ROA. I applied for ROA so I don't have to keep applying for visas to work in the UK. When I came to the UK to study I was not aware of this visa and when I applied for work immediately after my degree I did not have the ability to live in the UK and not be able to work. So I applied for it now as my work visa is coming to an end.
If your mum is UK born, were you born abroad before 1 January 1983?
I was born in Singapore in 1990. I was adviced by the home office that because my mum is English and had a UK passport and my grandmother is English I am able to apply for ROA.
Was your mum born IN the UK or abroad?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Andyjayne
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:02 pm
Singapore

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by Andyjayne » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 am
Andyjayne wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 am
Andyjayne wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 pm


My mum and grandmother are English and thus I do qualify for ROA. I applied for ROA so I don't have to keep applying for visas to work in the UK. When I came to the UK to study I was not aware of this visa and when I applied for work immediately after my degree I did not have the ability to live in the UK and not be able to work. So I applied for it now as my work visa is coming to an end.
If your mum is UK born, were you born abroad before 1 January 1983?
I was born in Singapore in 1990. I was adviced by the home office that because my mum is English and had a UK passport and my grandmother is English I am able to apply for ROA.
Was your mum born IN the UK or abroad?
She was born in the UK.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77876
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:26 am

Andyjayne wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 am
Andyjayne wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 am

If your mum is UK born, were you born abroad before 1 January 1983?
I was born in Singapore in 1990. I was adviced by the home office that because my mum is English and had a UK passport and my grandmother is English I am able to apply for ROA.
Was your mum born IN the UK or abroad?
She was born in the UK.
You are likely British by descent and can apply for a British passport directly.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citize ... -stateless

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-br ... 3-and-2006
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Andyjayne
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:02 pm
Singapore

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by Andyjayne » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:26 am
Andyjayne wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 am
Andyjayne wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 am


I was born in Singapore in 1990. I was adviced by the home office that because my mum is English and had a UK passport and my grandmother is English I am able to apply for ROA.
Was your mum born IN the UK or abroad?
She was born in the UK.
You are likely British by descent and can apply for a British passport directly.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citize ... -stateless

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-br ... 3-and-2006
I am sadly unable to as Singapore does not allow dual nationality. Thus having to apply for right to abode.

sillyquestion
Newly Registered
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by sillyquestion » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:10 pm

Hello, does anyone know the current processing times for CoE-RoA application? I applied for my child nearly 10 days back in India but yet to receive one. Was wondering if anyone can share their recent experience/processing times?

maleziran
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:56 pm
India

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by maleziran » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Hello,
Having got the birth certificates (UK and India via HCI) and the Indian passport , I am planning to apply for ROA /COE (within UK) for my new borns.

In my opinion its seems a straightforward case , as we (parents, holding Indian passport ) have been on ILR since 4 years . We are looking to travel to India in early December this year.

However whilst filling the online form , I observe that they mention that it would take upto 6 months for most cases .

I was wondering what is the current processing times. And also if there are alternative modes to obtain the same in a shorter time-frame.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

sillyquestion
Newly Registered
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by sillyquestion » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:11 pm

I have been trying to get a similar timeframe from others on the forum, but no response so far.

I applied for my son around 25 days back and still waiting for it. I have read on the forum that many got it within 1-2 weeks in the past, so I am little worried, although my case is quite straightforward I believe.

I will post it here once I get it for my son so that you can get a indication of current processing times.

sillyquestion
Newly Registered
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by sillyquestion » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:29 am

Finally I received the ROA!

It took exactly 60 calendar days.

I hope this helps to understand the processing times from outside the UK at the moment.

Many thanks to all the forum members who helped in this process :)

T90
Junior Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:36 am

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

Post by T90 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:03 am

In country application.
Parents on ILR, kid born in UK.
Posted docs on 4-Nov-2020
Received docs approx on 20-Dec-2020

Post Reply
cron