ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uncancelled passports

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Rocky101
Newly Registered

Uncancelled passports

Post by Rocky101 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi,

My mum has been using her Irish passport for the last 25 years, but now wants to get a British one (Dual Citizen).
HMPO are requiring she send in all uncancelled passports. The thing is, Ireland doesn't 'cancel' passports the same way the UK does. When it expires, she just sends off the application for a new one, but doesn't have to send the passport to be cut like we do.
Does she have to send in all the Irish passports she has ever had, or can she just send the one she is currently using?

Thanks!

secret.simon

Re: Uncancelled passports

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:51 pm

Rocky101 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:45 pm
doesn't have to send the passport to be cut like we do.
Can she request the expired passports to be cancelled?
Rocky101 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:45 pm
Does she have to send in all the Irish passports she has ever had,
Theoretically she should.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Rocky101
Newly Registered

Post by Rocky101 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:06 pm

hi secret Simon

Thanks for your response.
Talking to the Irish passport office, it seems they only cancel their passports if the holder dies before it expires. That's fine, I think she still has her old ones someone, its just going to be a pain (and possibly expensive) to send back 3/4 passports every 10 years!

Out of interest, is there anyway HMPO can find out about other passports if the applicant is British from birth, and they don't tell them in the passport application about the others?

Thanks!

HCJNL

Post by HCJNL » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:49 pm

Out of interest, is there anyway HMPO can find out about other passports if the applicant is British from birth, and they don't tell them in the passport application about the others?
I expect HMPO can find out anything they want. But they ask for other passports now because they insist on the same name on all passports, and check this. If this is very difficult or impossible they record the different name and passport details in the OBSERVATIONS section of the British passport.

My guess is that sending off your latest Irish passport will be sufficient for them. Don't many Irish citizens cut up and discard their old expired passports anyway?