ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for change to no resource to public funds

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Blessyou123456
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Applying for change to no resource to public funds

Post by Blessyou123456 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:24 pm

Hi, I want to apply for benefits, I got visa last year on the basis of family and private life, and now I am separated. I have 2 children, and I can’t afford the rent and bills. can anyone tell me what to do to get public funds, which documents required and how long the process take? Thank you

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Applying for change to no resource to public funds

Post by JB007 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:57 am

What happened to your application last year for a child on the 7 year route?
general-uk-immigration-forum/super-prio ... l#p1909074

Who do the children live with?

How much do you earn?

How much capital and savings do you have?

This is the minimum amount the absent parent must pay towards the living cost of their children.
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-child-maintenance

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:23 am

Blessyou123456 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:24 pm
I can’t afford the rent and bills.
Rent is the prioiry debt. Can you take extra hours at work? Find a second job? Move to a cheaper property? Move to a cheaper area?

Even for those who can have public funds-
- the council have no duty to house those who make themselves intentially homeless (not paid the rent or mortgage).
- it's unlikely the housing element of the Universal Credit welfare benefit will cover all the rent.
- on Universal Credit, both parents have to work unless they have an exemption. The absent parent's maintenace payments cannot be dedcuted from their earnings to lower their income and get more benefit money. But the parent with care (the parent the children live with most of the time) does not deduct the childrens maintenace payments from their income on UC.

Council Tax is also a priority debt. Councils collect the money owed through the courts. If you are the only person in the property now who is liable for council tax, tell your council the date your partner moved out of the property and ask for the council tax single person discount. Single Person Discount is not a public fund.

Even for those who can have public funds, it will be up to your council how much discount they will give you on your council tax bill with the public fund called Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Allowance). Each council set their own % of discount and it varies from council to council. Even jobseekers have to pay a contribution towards their councit tax from their benefit.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:24 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:57 am
This is the minimum amount the absent parent must pay towards the living cost of their children.
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-child-maintenance
As parents must share the costs of keeping their children, here is clearer guide to the absent parents minimum mainantence payments (many absent parents will pay more than this) and any extra costs involved if the Child Maintenance Service have to collect that money. It's worth the parents sorting this between themselves (and paying on time) to avoid these extra costs.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ction-fees

Shared care will reduce the minimum amount of child mainantence paid by the absent parent, based on the number of nights the absent parent has their children. The absent parent will be paying for their children directly on those days (nights) and the parent with care will not have the cost of their children on those days and will be able to work on those days.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... worked-out