ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Buying house rent: will it affect benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rodung
Newly Registered
Nepal

Buying house rent: will it affect benefits

Post by rodung » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Sir,

I am asking this on behalf of my parents. My father (ex army and still working contributing to NI) will be eligible for state pension in the end of this year. My mother is 63 years old (housewife no working). They do not own any property in uk on their name. My mother now wants to own a house for rent (full cash payment).

Will this affect state pension and benefit of my father? How about for my mother when she will be eligible for benefits?

Where can i get detailed guidance on this?

Thanking you.

Regards
Rodung

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Buying house rent: will it affect benefits

Post by JB007 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:31 pm

rodung wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:34 pm
I am asking this on behalf of my parents. My father (ex army and still working contributing to NI) will be eligible for state pension in the end of this year. My mother is 63 years old (housewife no working). They do not own any property in uk on their name. My mother now wants to own a house for rent (full cash payment).

Will this affect state pension and benefit of my father?
No. The UK state pension is contribution based, not means tested.
rodung wrote:
How about for my mother when she will be eligible for benefits?
No. She hasn't worked to get contribion based benefits and means tested benefits have a 16k cap and they have too much money/capital for that benefit (Universal Credit), even if they have British citizenship or ILR. They will be expected to use their savings to live on or sell their rental and use that money to live on.
rodung wrote:
Where can i get detailed guidance on this?
Googe, gov.uk site.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Buying house rent: will it affect benefits

Post by JB007 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:57 pm

When you mother is of UK state pension age too, whatever age that will be then -

Married or in a civil partnership

If you’re not eligible for a basic State Pension or you’re not getting the full amount, you might qualify for a ‘top up’ to £80.45 per week through your spouse’s or civil partner’s National Insurance contributions.

You can get the ‘top up’ if both of you have reached State Pension age and either:

- your spouse or civil partner reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016 and qualifies for some basic State Pension, even if they have not claimed it

- your spouse or civil partner reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016 and has at least one qualifying year of National Insurance contributions or credits from before 6 April 2016, even if they do not qualify for any new State Pension or they have not claimed it

If your spouse or civil partner was born before 6 April 1950, you can only get the ‘top up’ if you’re a woman who is married to either:

a man
a woman who legally changed their gender from male to female during your marriage

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility