ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR (M) and Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

saj626

FLR (M) and Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

Post by saj626 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Dear Members

Housing Benefits or universal credit (which includes housing benefits)

I am Neutralized British Citizen and I have 2 children, 4 years old and 3 years old both are British citizen and my wife she is on 2nd FLR (M) Visa she is due to apply ILR in 2022. Our household income is £18600.
we both work part time.

My question is if I claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is this going to affect my wife's future ILR application?

Many thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: FLR (M) and Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

Post by JB007 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm

saj626 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:34 pm
Dear Members

I am Neutralized British Citizen and I have 2 children, 4 years old and 3 years old both are British citizen and my wife she is on 2nd FLR (M) Visa she is due to apply ILR in 2022. Our household income is £18600.
we both work part time.

My question is if I claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is this going to affect my wife's future ILR application?

Many thanks
Is there any reason why you only work part time? Under the Welfare Reforms, when you are on Universal Credit you will have to work full time - earn at least the minimum hourly wage for 35 hours a week. Your wifes work requirements is based on the age of your youngest child https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/you ... sibilities

You don't get the choice of which benefit to claim as Housing Benefuts is one of the low income benefits being replaced by Universal Credit. What you will have to claim will depend on different factors, but eventually all will will be moved to Universal Credit.

Housing Benefit - the claim must be in your name, but your wife's income will be used in the calcultations. Universal Credit, I don't know yet and it would be best to ask the CAB.

saj626

Post by saj626 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:46 pm

JB007 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm
saj626 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:34 pm
Dear Members

we both work part time.

Many thanks
Is there any reason why you only work part time? Under the Welfare Reforms, when you are on Universal Credit you will have to work full time - earn at least the minimum hourly wage for 35 hours a week. Your wifes work requirements is based on the age of your youngest child https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/you ... sibilities

You don't get the choice of which benefit to claim as Housing Benefuts is one of the low income benefits being replaced by Universal Credit. What you will have to claim will depend on different factors, but eventually all will will be moved to Universal Credit.

Housing Benefit - the claim must be in your name, but your wife's income will be used in the calcultations. Universal Credit, I don't know yet and it would be best to ask the CAB.
Many thanks for reply
We both work part time because we have two young children aged 3 and 4 which we have to look after.
could you please point out where it says one parent have to work 35 hours a week ?

once again Many thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 pm

saj626 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:46 pm

Many thanks for reply
We both work part time because we have two young children aged 3 and 4 which we have to look after.
could you please point out where it says one parent have to work 35 hours a week ?

once again Many thanks
Under the Welfare Reform laws, both parents can no longer choose to only work part time and ask for low income benefits because parents are expected to keep their own children. One parent must work full time. Universal Credit is based on required earnings per family.

With one parent working full time of 35 hours a week at the hourly National Minimum Wage, the other have their required weekly earnings based on the youngest child. By the time the youngest is age 13, they too must work full time of 35 hours a week at the hourly national minimum wage (see the link I gave).You can share that weekly amount between you.

The minimum hourly wage from 6 April 2019 will be £8.27 and it will rise again in April 2020.

Universal Credit is based on earnings per week and one of you will need to work 35 hours at NMW to avoid Universal Conditions (going to the job centre and having to prove you are looking for more hours, work placement, courses etc.) The other will need to earn 16 hours at NMW as your youngest child is age 3, to avoid going to the job centre, 36 plus 16 = 51 hours at NMW between you at £8.27. £421.77 per week (£21,932.04 per year).

That will will rise to 25 a week at the NMW when your youngest is 5. That's 60 hours a week at NMW between you = using the 2019/20 NMW, that's £496.20 a week minimum between you (£25,802.40 per year).

When your youngest is 13, that parent is expected to work the 35 hours a week at the hourly NMW too. That's 70 hours a week between at the hourly NMW. Using the 2019/20 NMW, that is earnings between you of £578.80 a week (£30,102.80 per year). There is a two child limit for low income benefits.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 pm

"You might face conditionality requirements even though you are already in work. Your conditionality requirements depend on how much you are earning and whether your wages are over your earnings threshold.

If you are earning below your threshold you will be expected to make efforts to increase your income. The DWP suggest that this may include increasing the hours you work, finding additional work or finding a new job with a higher income.

The threshold is based on what you would earn if you worked for 35 hours a week at the National Minimum Wage. Though if you have caring responsibilities your threshold may be lower than this".

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guid ... itionality

Only one parent can have "caring responsibilities" and that is based on the youngest child's age. See the link I gave above to show their hours.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Also be aware that apart from the money parents are expected to earn when they ask for low income benefits, you will likely get less benefit money when you are on Unversal Credit as you are not working many hours. The Welfare Reform laws ensure that work pays and that benefits claimants are not better off from not working much.

There is Transitional Protection for some claimants, to ensure they do not get less benefits when they are moved to UC, but that will mean they will not get any rise in benefits until their benefit money is paid at the lower rate that Universal Credit pays. However, one of the things that will lose that Transitional Protection, is if the claimants are not at their required earnings for 3 months.

saj626

Post by saj626 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:17 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:58 pm
Also be aware that apart from the money parents are expected to earn when they ask for low income benefits, you will likely get less benefit money when you are on Unversal Credit as you are not working many hours. The Welfare Reform laws ensure that work pays and that benefits claimants are not better off from not working much.

There is Transitional Protection for some claimants, to ensure they do not get less benefits when they are moved to UC, but that will mean they will not get any rise in benefits until their benefit money is paid at the lower rate that Universal Credit pays. However, one of the things that will lose that Transitional Protection, is if the claimants are not at their required earnings for 3 months.

Many Thanks one again

Could you please also tell me if claiming universal credit or Housing Benefit will affect my wife's ILR application in future? i am all ready getting Tax Credit.
i will be waiting ..

Many Thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:23 am

saj626 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Many Thanks one again

Could you please also tell me if claiming universal credit or Housing Benefit will affect my wife's ILR application in future? i am all ready getting Tax Credit.
i will be waiting ..

Many Thanks
JB007 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Once you apply for Houisng Benefit, they will tell you.