ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting EUSS family permit at Calais borders?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gesa
Newly Registered

Getting EUSS family permit at Calais borders?

Post by gesa » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:03 pm

Hello

I have a question for which I have searched a lot on the internet but could not find any answers or guidance and I was hoping someone within this forum knows or has had the same experience.

I need to apply for a EUSS family permit for my dependent parents but heard that it can take from 3 to 6 months for the decision, it is very important that they come to the UK to live with us asap. I was wondering if I can get them in France and apply for their EUSS family permit at the Calais Eurotunnel border? Can they get this type of permit at the border or do we need to apply only online and before traveling?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Getting EUSS family permit at Calais borders?

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:08 pm

They need to apply and receive approval of the family permit before they travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:10 pm

They can't apply for the EUSS Family Permit at Calais Eurotunnel or any other border crossing point.
It has to be applied for online and there's a waiting time - no priority service.

as CR001 said.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

gesa
Newly Registered

Post by gesa » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm

Thank you very much CR001 and alterhase58 for your replies.

I know personally a friend of mine who got her family permit at the Calais border but this was before all the changes with the EU permits (5+ years ago), and I was not sure if it can be done still or not.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:14 pm

gesa wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm
I know personally a friend of mine who got her family permit at the Calais border but this was before all the changes with the EU permits (5+ years ago), and I was not sure if it can be done still or not.
Not possible at all since brexit.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:20 pm

gesa wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm
Thank you very much CR001 and alterhase58 for your replies.

We lost free movement which was guaranteed by the EU Treaties and made entry much simpler.
Now everyone comes under UK immigration with no special privileges (except for those who qualified for EUSS).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:23 am

There is nothing stopping you from trying to go down this route and updating us on whether you were successful or not. But, as CR001 and alterhase58 have advised above, the probability of failure is very high. So, plan accordingly as to what you would do if the parents are refused the family permit.

Both pre and post Brexit, there was a requirement for the parents to be dependent on the EEA citizen or their spouse.

Pre-Brexit, the dependency was not scrutinised significantly and was assumed.

Post Brexit, the dependency is scrutinised in some detail. That would explain the delays in processing the applications now.
EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit and Travel Permit caseworker guidance wrote: (Page 64)
‘Dependent’ means that, as demonstrated by relevant financial, medical or other documentary evidence:
• having regard to their financial and social conditions, or health, the applicant cannot meet their essential living needs (in whole or in part) without the financial or other material support of the relevant EEA citizen (or, as the case may be, of the qualifying British citizen) or of their spouse or civil partner
• such support is being provided to the applicant by the relevant EEA citizen (or, as the case may be, by the qualifying British citizen) or by their spouse or civil partner
• there is no need to determine the reasons for that dependence or for the recourse to that support
Because the scrutiny of such applications is much higher now, I suspect that a turn-up-and-apply application at Calais (or at other UKBA juxtaposed sites like Brussels and Paris) would fail.

As I mentioned above, if you plan to go down that route, you must plan on what to do if you are refused, as that is a very real possibility.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.